1.    #1  
    Someone tell me if I'm getting things wrong here, since I'm not a programmer but, apps developed for webos are basically all 'open source', but now that they're bringing in PDK companies can write binary-like applications and protect their source, right?

I think that logic would explain why skype never made a webos app in the first place. They only want their clients to be able to communicate with the skype network, right?

But now that PDK is coming, we should expect applications like skype to be coming along? Does this make sense? If not, then I'm really confused as to why skype is avoiding the pre/pixi...They seem like one of those companies that wants their program to work on as many portable devices as possible..
    I think they are waiting to see if WebOS will be successful enough to make the cost of developing and maintaining an app worthwhile. I really miss having Skype on my phone, and hope it comes over soon...
    Sure, it's possible, if they want to write the app.
  4.    #4  
    But say skype developed a skype app right now, it would be in javascript and also be completely open-source right? And they'd have no way around it? That's what I'm trying to figure out...if apps made for webos "now" are by default open-source or not.
    Has palm released the API's to access the mic yet? That would be one big hurdle right there...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggnaa20 View Post
    I think they are waiting to see if WebOS will be successful enough to make the cost of developing and maintaining an app worthwhile. I really miss having Skype on my phone, and hope it comes over soon...
    I think it is Skype's lost if they do not try to get on WebOS. I am already start paying Google Voice for long distance call. Once Google Voice can provide more services, I may dump Skype and use Google Voice.

I wish Skype wise up, because I really don't want to use Google for everything. But Google keep getting ahead of others on these things.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    Has palm released the API's to access the mic yet? That would be one big hurdle right there...
    Since the mic has already been accessed in Linux anyway with Precorder, I'm making an assumption that it should be relatively accessible using the Plugin Development stuff pretty easily.

Even if not, it has to be at least in some way more accessible in 1.4 to get the Palm video recorder.

Regardless, after today's presentation I get the impression that if someone as big as Skype called up Palm, Palm would do whatever was necessary to get that out the door ASAP.
    I'm personally waiting for phones with a minicam on the front for videotelephony... Hope Palm implements this on their next wave of devices... w/ SIDEWAYS sliding keyboard!

N yes, there has to be some way to the mic now, as Precorder got that workin...
    My understanding is that Mojo apps are now put into an encrypted folder on the storage drive. So, their source code should be protected. Could be wrong, but if not, I would expect many apps that perhaps were being held back for this reason to be released.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by biggnaa20 View Post
    I agree. I think a lot of people were waiting. However, the announcement of a full fledge SDK, clever new ways of delivering apps to people (web based searching is awesome), and multi-carrier support, including Verizon and AT&T, means that you will see a lot of big names bringing apps to WebOS.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Their code is safe is they go the C/C++ way. And I bet the mic API is coming in the next iteration of the SDK.

Their very own video recorder makes use of it, so I don't see why they wouldn't release an API.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    My understanding is that Mojo apps are now put into an encrypted folder on the storage drive. So, their source code should be protected. Could be wrong, but if not, I would expect many apps that perhaps were being held back for this reason to be released.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals