Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been here a while and every time a new Palm phone has been released we get a barrage of "This is the phone that will put Palm out of business" posters who are certain the "new" phone will spell the end of Palm.

If we could search the archives there are always this group of whiners who forsee Palm's certain demise with every phone released since the 650.

Just wondering if those people have anything to say?
    They'll be saying the same thing in 5 years that they were saying 5 years ago... "the end isn't here yet, but it's near"

You can't fix stupid.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    why create a topic about how people think the Pre/Pixi will be the end of Palm? Obviously they have a lot of financial backing to survive a good while yet.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    why create a topic about how people think the Pre/Pixi will be the end of Palm? Obviously they have a lot of financial backing to survive a good while yet.
    I don't think that, but I think today's presentation sealed Palms place in the running for a while. While I don't mind people's criticism on the phone, after you have been on a while and Palm releases a phone, every yahoo who doesn't know a Smart phone from a App toy predicts Palm's demise. I just to see someone say, "Oh, I was wrong"
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    ...who doesn't know a Smart phone from an App toy...
    that's an awesome quote. i'm so using that.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    There was a mind share survey done, and Palm (was in single digits) lost points while Android jumped considerably (from single digits to double digits).

Not saying Palm is going down, but its going to be a rough fight.
  7.    #7  
    Dang non of the link backs work because of the name change of the forum. Oh well, tired now.

Demise in 1999
    Palm in Trouble 2001
    End of Handspring
    PDA/Smart Phones aren't a Smart Buy 2003
    The End of Palm 2005
    I hate to say I told you so, so I won't. 2006
    Palm's impending Demise 2006

This from a quick search using the word "demise"
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    I have been here a while and every time a new Palm phone has been released we get a barrage of "This is the phone that will put Palm out of business" posters who are certain the "new" phone will spell the end of Palm.

If we could search the archives there are always this group of whiners who forsee Palm's certain demise with every phone released since the 650.

Just wondering if those people have anything to say?
    Two weeks later and Verizon's release of the Pre comes out with a whimper.

At the time of the 650 Palm had market share and Android was a distant thought. now Android is here to stay and the Pre and Pixi plus is not a blip on anyone's radar unless you're really into smartphones.

The end of Palm was the blown transition to WebOS, compounding it with tying itself to Sprint, and compounding the error by providing lackluster hardware that doesn't win over the public and the developers. And we didn't even touch upon the long delayed API.

Other than a handful of us Palm faithful who love the device for what it is, I fear that today's whimper release speaks volumes. If we don't see a big marketing push from Verizon and AT&T, the Palm OS is going somewhere else and that's not just fearmongering.

I really want to pick up a Pre Plus. My reservation is that Palm is really on the tightrope right now. A few improvements isn't going to help them to upsell the next amazing version. The Pre Plus and Pixi should have matched iPhone specs, e.g. 32GB and Pixi not be underpowered. By that time, I don't know how many will care to support a platform with almost no developers.
    It's a low(no?)-key release on Verizon to be sure, but let's see how sales figures look for this quarter in a couple of months before calling it a bust. If Palm hasn't sold (and I mean SOLD THROUGH, not just shipped) 800,000 WebOS devices in the quarter despite being on Sprint and Verizon along with foreign sales, well...something's gotta give.
    I'm with you -but even Verizon's home page still features the Samsung. I found the Palm Pre by total accident. I'm not calling it a bust yet but, absent a serious change, the bust is inevitable. Palm hasn't had a product out on Verizon for years and with the Droid out, the Storm 2 and rumors about the iPhone coming to CDMA, I wonder if even Verizon thinks it's worth spending a dime on advertising. Their actions will tell us whether this great early stage device will survive its infancy.
    Well, if you recall several months ago, Verizon said they would have the Pre on their network. It looks like Verizon went out of their way to get the Pre. The big thing is that people will have to make a choice between the Droid, Nexus One and the Pre (maybe the iPhone too). That is important, because it means that you don't choose your smartphone by carrier any more.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    that's an awesome quote. i'm so using that.

I 2nd That
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    OK, I'll bite. What the hey. No guts , no glory, right?

The Pre (but not really the Pixi) is definitely going to be a more capable phone soon and that's something to celebrate for current owners. Palm still has a big mindshare and marketshare problem going forward, though. Despite the new games and potential new app capabilities, the Pre is never going to be the game smartphone nor the app smartphone. Nor will it be the Verizon go-to smartphone with the Nexus One and Droid onboard not to mention a potential iPhone.

Palm is doing an admirable job of trying to catch-up to the competition. However, one still has to wonder what are the compelling reasons why the average customer would choose the Pre over the newer, better marketed competition. The Pre is definitely the phone for Sprint and Palm loyalists but who else is out there, exactly?

Am I missing the whole point here? Look at the stock price today. After all of the surprising good news, where is the CES pop? There was actually a drop after the event.
    I'm not sure what stock you were watching after CES, but my shares went from $10.50 to a high of $14.40. How does that not qualify as a pop?! Of course I didn't sell quickly enough and now it's back down below $12, but still, the "pop" most definitely happened.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    I meant a high of $14.14 rather than $14.40.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Didn't they lose $500,800,000 in 2008 and another $85M+ in one quarter last year?

They probably won't go bankrupt, but they haven't been profiting. How do they manage to stay in business?
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    They probably won't go bankrupt, but they haven't been profiting. How do they manage to stay in business?
    They have people with faith in their ultimate sucess, who are prepared to bankroll them in the meantime. And those people are probably better judges than the prophets of doom on P|C.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Donkey View Post
    I'm not sure what stock you were watching after CES, but my shares went from $10.50 to a high of $14.40. How does that not qualify as a pop?! Of course I didn't sell quickly enough and now it's back down below $12, but still, the "pop" most definitely happened.
    You are confusing a bunch of people making bets with the sad reality. What I tend to find (and myself included) is that people who like their technology want to hold onto it believing it will somehow turn the corner. Make all sorts of smart remarks about the iPhone being a toy. It is a toy. It's sad. But it's easy for the masses to use as a media player, has tons of crappy apps that will get people to buy (even if limiting later) and the hardware is a lot smarter designed than Palm's poor 8GB excuse (and sad USB slot) out of the gate. No standard Outlook sync? ***? Didn't they already do this before for years?

Palm was able to sucker more investors in at some point but they are in a bad spot and out of flashy executive power point presentations. The global recession is here for a while and, in the US, it means people will not be buying phones nearly as quickly and as frequently as the past. My thought is you might want to sell those shares at a nice profit before reality hits.

I really, really want to buy a Pre Plus and going into VZW today. It promises a lot of the extensibility I want that nobody is reaching just yet (I hate landscape keyboards and love the Pre and Pixi since Blackberry can't produce the touchscreen hybrid.) But fact is that the more I'm reading the more I'm being convinced that it's a stopgap phone for the next year that I wouldn't invest in like I had in with Treos in the past with hardware, accessories, apps. The next quarter and possibly two will be critical. If the app store doesn't gather major momentum, Palm is deemed totally irrelevant by 2011. I don't care if the next version has 32GB and a higher resolution screen. Nobody else will. The time for that to happen was now because Android already has it, has way more apps, and people in general will hear about it, the iPhone, the Blackberry, and the Windows Mobile 7 OS (and we haven't mentioned Nokia in Europe and Asia) and nobody will care less about some blip called Palm with 4 phones that almost nobody they know uses. I'm waiting and going to get a feel today from employees at a large store about how much Verizon really cares about this phone and whether it's just the possibility of stealing away those Sprint customers back.
    Palm's app catalog would soon become the #2 app store. This is already evident by how big-name game developers are releasing 3D games for WebOS soon after iPhone. NFS undercover, NFL 2010, Assasin's Creed 2 etc. These games are not released for Android or BB.

Sure, the number of apps in Android market is high but the market is highly fragmented. There are different versions of the apps for each handset. This will only get worse with time. Read the reviews on apps in Android market and you'll notice it.

Palm's million dollar program should result in lots of webOS apps over the next 3 months.

Other than apps, you just have to look at what Palm has delivered in the last 6 months to realize the potential.
    I actually heard Palm's outlook was improving quite a bit. They sold a solid number of units for WebOS. Over two million? That's a good fine number.

Palm is a small company and doesn't need the levels of success larger companies need in order to compete and stay profitable.

Coming into this new Launch of WebOS, everyone at the company knew there were going to be costs.
    Quote Originally Posted by blatherdrift View Post
    I actually heard Palm's outlook was improving quite a bit. They sold a solid number of units for WebOS. Over two million? That's a good fine number.

Palm is a small company and doesn't need the levels of success larger companies need in order to compete and stay profitable.

Coming into this new Launch of WebOS, everyone at the company knew there were going to be costs.
    Where do you get this sales figure? Everything I've read on the subject seems to indicate dismally slow sales figures (Example) and those figures hide the Pre's numbers by mixing them in with other PalmOS device sales.

Palm's FY10, Q2 numbers were pretty bad, actually.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast