Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by digink View Post
    I have no intention of using my Pre as the primary device for 10 years. I got every new Treo when they came out, I merely referenced my Tungsten because it still works.. I didn't say I use it everyday, and I don't just throw things away because I got a new device (which seems to be what you're implying). I am not going to get into the wasteful nature of the American public, but you seem to be condoning of that behavior so I'll leave it at that.

That said, I expect to own a phone that doesn't creek when I type on it, doesn't twist when I push on it's slider, doesn't develop screen blotches as it warms up, DOESNT WARM UP, and doesn't randomly shut off for no reason during use.

Palm made a inferior device from a build stand-point, period. Anyone who says otherwise is a blind fool. People who buy iPhones and HTCs dont expect to use them as their primary device for 7-10 years, but they last amazingly well for the life of the product until a new one is released with significant enough changes to buy it.

Don't create an excuse for a company to put out a inferior product, because there simply is no excuse.
    I'm going to ignore the statement about "blind fools", and not engage in name-calling. However, there is a thread on here where a guy lost his Pre (he thought) on the highway. It was found a couple days later in his yard. It had been sitting in the snow for a couple of days run over by another vehichle, and he charged it up and it worked. Not only that, it worked well enough that he was considering using that one instead of his replacement.

My release date Pre doesn't blotch has no more "oreo effect" than the brand new Droid I looked at when in Best Buy last week, and is still working fine.

I do not believe that either of these are the same results everyone else gets (especially the driving over the Pre bit), but I also submit that these anecdotal stories are as much "evidence" as the anectdotal stories we read on here about problems.

Every poll ran on this forum (and forums are where people with problems tend to gravitate) have been overwhelmingly in favor of "My Pre is OK"

And no, I wasn't implying anything about "throwing away" devices because they've been replaced. But the fact is, the Pre hasn't been out long enough for a track record. I do know this. In 6 months, I've been through exactly 1 Pre. In that amount of time, I went through 3 Centros and went back to a 755P. Again, anectdotal, but there it is. Just write me up as a "blind fool".
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The idea that Palm can survive as a niche player doesn't hold water. It's not kind of company. More importantly, what niche? You may say techie but Rubenstein says exactly the opposite (NY Times article). Gamers? I don't think so. People who happen to be on Sprint? People who like keyboards?

My feeling is that if it becomes clear that Palm has no reasonable chance of achieving #1 or #2 smartphone marketshare in the long run, it will be acquired.
    To be fair, Rubenstein said just the opposite of what you're saying. He specifically said he doesn't expect them to be #1, and even talked about being 3rd or 4th.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    To be fair, Rubenstein said just the opposite of what you're saying. He specifically said he doesn't expect them to be #1, and even talked about being 3rd or 4th.
    For Palm to be third they'd have to now overtake RIM. Not happening for a long time. To be fourth, they'd need to challenge Nokia/Symbian, Windows Mobile 7 and Samsung. Not impossible but it will be very difficult once Win 7 devices hit the market, if they are reasonably timely.
    Quote Originally Posted by hinky View Post
    For Palm to be third they'd have to now overtake RIM. Not happening for a long time. To be fourth, they'd need to challenge Nokia/Symbian, Windows Mobile 7 and Samsung. Not impossible but it will be very difficult once Win 7 devices hit the market, if they are reasonably timely.
    Don't know where your numbers are coming from, but RIM isn't third, it's 1 in smartphones.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234