Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Uhm, I read it not too long ago from this website. A combined sale of Pixi and Pre = 2.5 million was estimated.
    Link?
    Not just do I think Palm is not going anywhere, I think the real benifits of the Pre or what ever they will call it, will come from when V deploys what used to be the broadcast TV waves. Due to the laws of physics those airwaves will run curcles around today's Pre. Since V owns the vast majority of these airwaves, keep your eyes on V & Palm. Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    It was on the homepage a few days ago.

Just go through the old articles.

Here's a blurb.

"The eye-opener was the 2.492 million number for the Palm Pre & Palm Pixi combined. Our own Dieter Bohn remarked, "Given that we haven't heard that Palm has sold a million yet, it paints a fairly rosy picture of how it will do on Verizon.""
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Where do you get this sales figure? Everything I've read on the subject seems to indicate dismally slow sales figures (Example) and those figures hide the Pre's numbers by mixing them in with other PalmOS device sales.

Palm's FY10, Q2 numbers were pretty bad, actually.
    http://www.precentral.net/whats-numb...ly-25m-prepixi

Does no one read the front page?

-Toaster
    Last edited by toasterthegamer; 01/26/2010 at 08:43 AM.
    You guys should keep reading. Palm's last three quarters of devices shipped COMBINED doesn't even equal two million, and just last quarter they had six figures of WebOS devices still sitting on store shelves unsold.
    Quote Originally Posted by blatherdrift View Post

"The eye-opener was the 2.492 million number for the Palm Pre & Palm Pixi combined. Our own Dieter Bohn remarked, "Given that we haven't heard that Palm has sold a million yet, it paints a fairly rosy picture of how it will do on Verizon.""
    to clarify that was 1.75 million shipped to existing owners as replacements for their broken hardware........jk
    Quote Originally Posted by toasterthegamer View Post
    http://www.precentral.net/whats-numb...ly-25m-prepixi

Does no one read the front page?

-Toaster
    Seriously. Does does no one do any research anymore or is "the front page" supposed to be the font of all knowledge? Here are Palm's reported figures:

Jun-Aug 2009: 823,000 total smartphones shipped (not necessarily sold) including Treos (Link).
    Sep-Nov 2009: 783,000 total smartphones shipped (not necessarily sold) including Treos (Link).

Together, that's 1,606,000 total combined Pres, Pixies and Treos - worldwide. The original source of that article (Mark Mahaney from Citigroup) speaks volumes about Citigroup's current financial problems. I'm curious how this "analyst" decided Palm was under-reporting their own phone sales by over 50%?

Oh, and notice how sales decreased between the two quarters - not a really good indicator of pending Palm growth is it?
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    I dont see why people get so loyal to a company, like they are paying their rent or putting food in their mouths.

Palm needs to design a better phone and improve WebOS. Only the latter seems to have been somewhat addressed but if they dont address both in a timely fashion they will and should die and anyone who is hurt by this needs to grow up... it isn't your Son in the peewee league.
    This thread isn't about whether people get sad over the failure of a company or even whether they get defensive about their favorite company getting criticized. It's about how ludicrous it is that people continue to be so certain about how near that failure is.
    Post #8 proves that point pretty well.

And that crowd isn't unique to Palm boards. They're on pretty much every forum for every company that isn't the clear #1 market leader in their segment. It's like there's this belief floating around that only one company can survive in any given market segment, and if you spend more than six months outside of the #1 position, then you're on the verge of collapse. It gets tiresome.
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by digink View Post
    I dont see why people get so loyal to a company, like they are paying their rent or putting food in their mouths.

Palm needs to design a better phone and improve WebOS. Only the latter seems to have been somewhat addressed but if they dont address both in a timely fashion they will and should die and anyone who is hurt by this needs to grow up... it isn't your Son in the peewee league.
    You're missing the point completely. If Palm goes under, it's no skin of my back, and I definitely won't lose any sleep over it.

The point of the thread was that there were folks that were apparently "smart like you" that made the same sort of prediction you just made. They were wrong. Links were provided. Do you see the pattern? Do you feel a part of it?
    My Pre doesn't make me breakfast. What the hell Palm!? Game over for Palm. I've had it! Lol.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Of the desks near mine at work, three people have Pre phones, one has a BlackBerry, two have a iPhones, two have feature phones, one (amazingly) does not own a cell phone, and the other four have plain old just-make-calls phones. None have Android based phones.

Based on this extensive research, I declare Android will fail as a smartphone OS in the next six months, and RIM is obviously in a dangerous state of decline.
    Quote Originally Posted by muppet_funk View Post
    This thread isn't about whether people get sad over the failure of a company or even whether they get defensive about their favorite company getting criticized. It's about how ludicrous it is that people continue to be so certain about how near that failure is.
    Post #8 proves that point pretty well.

And that crowd isn't unique to Palm boards. They're on pretty much every forum for every company that isn't the clear #1 market leader in their segment. It's like there's this belief floating around that only one company can survive in any given market segment, and if you spend more than six months outside of the #1 position, then you're on the verge of collapse. It gets tiresome.
    You, sir, are absolutely correct. Before the iPod and iPhone, didn't Apple survive a whole lot of years selling like three Macs per quarter?
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You're missing the point completely. If Palm goes under, it's no skin of my back, and I definitely won't lose any sleep over it.

The point of the thread was that there were folks that were apparently "smart like you" that made the same sort of prediction you just made. They were wrong. Links were provided. Do you see the pattern? Do you feel a part of it?
    I made no prediction as to when or how they would go under, and as a Pre owner I actually want Palm to survive.

That said, having come from a Tungsten and numerous Treos and a Centro, I was extremely let down by the poor build of the Pre, and still am to this day. I think WebOS is an extraordinary OS with huge potential, that said it does have room to grow (and Palm is growing it). I for the life of me can't understand how a company that had a track-record for building solid phones could fail so miserably... even devices that aren't plagued by major issues like the 2 Pre's I've had (the 2nd I still live with) still feel extremely cheap even when compared to a Centro (forget about comparing it to one of HTCs products or something of the like).

Every smart phone I have owned has been a Palm, and unless they can get this build issue sorted out with the release of whatever replaces the Pre, they will lose my business along with a lot of people I know who own Pres regardless of how much we like WebOS.

I might of gone off topic a bit, but I am very disappointed with Palm over this. Hell the Tungsten I own is like 7 years old and works as good as new, where as my second Pre is now over 6 months old and already feels like it is going to fall apart.
    ... Palm needs to design a better phone and improve WebOS. Only the latter seems to have been somewhat addressed but if they dont address both in a timely fashion they will and should die...
    I made no prediction as to when or how they would go under...
    Since there's no report of any other phone on the immediate horizon, that kinda sounds like a prediction.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    If i may interject for a moment. I think the debate is flawed, it leaves out the facts that:

1 More then the current phone building companies(android is an os) companies can be supported and profitable in the current landscape of mobile computing

2 that the market place is cyclical and that the company on top will not always stay there

3 That every product that a company makes does not have to be more innovative then the last(how does the big mack survive with that new angus burger on the menu so juicy)

4 That Market and Mind share under thirty percent is not a bad thing (firefox(netscape reborn),google,apple,microsoft,intel,ect,ect. have all held that position)

5 That you cant just make products good enough to compete until you come up with something (hot word "innovative")

Palm may die but not for the reason stated in the agruement pro-palms death if so no current phone maker would be kicking including, Apple they have tried this phone making thing before.....wait come to think about the mythical Apple has failed at everything it's trying now phone,laptop(got steve jobs fired go figure),home computers. Uhm well looks like palm is going to be a success after all their just following apples foot steps.

So R.I.P palm for now your numbers are bleak your sales are weak you are dead to me, but as a company we shall not speak of was dead so long ago. You are one great "innovation" from resurrection.
    So as the rock is pushed in front of Palm tomb by the non-believers. I shall sit await for the day that that stone miraculously moves and the Jesus Palm a sends to the mobile phone heavens.Que the jesus palm posts .
    Quote Originally Posted by hinky View Post
    You are confusing a bunch of people making bets with the sad reality. What I tend to find (and myself included) is that people who like their technology want to hold onto it believing it will somehow turn the corner. Make all sorts of smart remarks about the iPhone being a toy. It is a toy. It's sad. But it's easy for the masses to use as a media player, has tons of crappy apps that will get people to buy (even if limiting later) and the hardware is a lot smarter designed than Palm's poor 8GB excuse (and sad USB slot) out of the gate. No standard Outlook sync? ***? Didn't they already do this before for years?

Palm was able to sucker more investors in at some point but they are in a bad spot and out of flashy executive power point presentations. The global recession is here for a while and, in the US, it means people will not be buying phones nearly as quickly and as frequently as the past. My thought is you might want to sell those shares at a nice profit before reality hits.

I really, really want to buy a Pre Plus and going into VZW today. It promises a lot of the extensibility I want that nobody is reaching just yet (I hate landscape keyboards and love the Pre and Pixi since Blackberry can't produce the touchscreen hybrid.) But fact is that the more I'm reading the more I'm being convinced that it's a stopgap phone for the next year that I wouldn't invest in like I had in with Treos in the past with hardware, accessories, apps. The next quarter and possibly two will be critical. If the app store doesn't gather major momentum, Palm is deemed totally irrelevant by 2011. I don't care if the next version has 32GB and a higher resolution screen. Nobody else will. The time for that to happen was now because Android already has it, has way more apps, and people in general will hear about it, the iPhone, the Blackberry, and the Windows Mobile 7 OS (and we haven't mentioned Nokia in Europe and Asia) and nobody will care less about some blip called Palm with 4 phones that almost nobody they know uses. I'm waiting and going to get a feel today from employees at a large store about how much Verizon really cares about this phone and whether it's just the possibility of stealing away those Sprint customers back.
    I think the people here are a bit too obsessed with the hardware. This year's hardware will be as obsolete next year as last year's is today. Hardware specs like 32 and 64gb looks great on paper, but what impressed my about web OS is the entire concept of a cloud phone. Basically where the apps are designed in the language of the web.

No matter what, our little devices wil never be even close to the speed of the latest servers in the cloud. Web OS is the software that harnesses that. So instead of using a little 600mhz or a 1gb microprocessor with some ram, you would be limited only by your internet connection. That is the hook of Web OS. It is also the major reason Chrome OS has captured hearts and minds. Basically it puts software and not hardware in the forefront. Imagine a time when your hardware won't be obsolete in 3-4 months.

It is going through growing pains and who knows what will happen, but the potential is massive.
    I might of gone off topic a bit, but I am very disappointed with Palm over this. Hell the Tungsten I own is like 7 years old and works as good as new, where as my second Pre is now over 6 months old and already feels like it is going to fall apart.
    This is going to rub some folks the wrong way, but I'm going to say it anyway. This isn't a blast at the old Palm, kudos to the new, or a judgement of the company one way or the other, it's just the way things are.

A smartphone company doesn't make money by building devices that last 7 years and work as good as new.

The folks that keep it for those 7 years want it to keep up with the new devices. I know this, because I've seen it in the IT field (I can't count the number of casual friends that have said "Jane Doe gave me her old computer, and it sure seems slow, can you drop by and take a look at it and get it running right?).

It could be that the old Palm was spending way too much on build quality, and way too little on R&D into new innovations.
    Quote Originally Posted by mullrat View Post
    I think the people here are a bit too obsessed with the hardware. This year's hardware will be as obsolete next year as last year's is today. Hardware specs like 32 and 64gb looks great on paper, but what impressed my about web OS is the entire concept of a cloud phone. Basically where the apps are designed in the language of the web.
    My 32GB iPhone isn't obsolete next year. The problem is that Palm is doing the same thing it did with the Treo - releasing old specs that are on their way to obsolescence already at launch. So Palm will release its 32GB phone a year after everyone else does? Screen resolution? Some of these things are important when making current comparisons.

Basically it puts software and not hardware in the forefront. Imagine a time when your hardware won't be obsolete in 3-4 months. It is going through growing pains and who knows what will happen, but the potential is massive.
    That's great but (a) there isn't much software for anyone to be impressed about, (b) there are many alternatives that get the job done, (c) Palm's new hardware is somewhat already obsolete on release, and most importantly (d) in a few months, nobody may care less about the Palm Pre to buy enough of them to keep thi$ dream afloat. Why should I invest in some benefit today when I've got Android, the iPhone and Blackberry already doing really good things? Potential, potential, potential. But while Palm wastes endless time trying to gimmick iTunes to sync with the Pre, it wastes time not getting all those necessary apps to the market ASAP and finishes building WebOS before the money runs out and the interest in the project is shared by a select few like yourself. I hear ya... I arrived hoping to be convinced but I'm shocked at how far behind Palm is in delivering the software you dream about. I don't need all the cloud stuff. Just get the simple things done well NOW.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast