Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1.    #1  
    OK so I know the Verizon Pre has 16gb of space and doesn't have the center button. It also comes with Tethering. Are there any other differences. I just read online on a app review some guy saying that it has a faster processor. Is that true or not. Also are there any other differences.
  2. #2  
    Tethering is likely a paid add on, given how they worded it.

    It's not a faster processor, just more ram. Both internal and storage, as debated as it is, I don't understand how, you say internal to mean system memory. As stated here: at 3:10

    those look to be the big differences, a refresh of the Pre really, nothing much.
  3. solarus's Avatar
    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #3  
    From what I've seen - 16MB of storage and 512MB of RAM is the only difference. Verizon may offer tethering and navigation but knowing Verizon it ain't gonna be free. The hardware advances (RAM) and the "Verizon services" don't make up for Sprint's pricing (at least if you don't find yourself away from metropolitan areas too often).
  4. LurkerX's Avatar
    Posts
    357 Posts
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    From what I've seen - 16MB of storage and 512MB of RAM is the only difference. Verizon may offer tethering and navigation but knowing Verizon it ain't gonna be free. The hardware advances (RAM) and the "Verizon services" don't make up for Sprint's pricing (at least if you don't find yourself away from metropolitan areas too often).

    He said during the talk, and I quote 'We doubled the internal memory', mentioned how great that is followed by: 'Pre plus comes with 16GB of flash memory'. He called the 16GB of flash memory instead of storage. No way I'd assume 512RAM from that statement.

    I bet it has the same 256MB of RAM we have. All the phones using our processor have 256, it seems to come as a bundled package with the GPU. My bet is we won't see 512 till we move to snapdragon processors, as the Nexus One, HD2, and Xperia X10 have.
  5. solarus's Avatar
    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    He said during the talk, and I quote 'We doubled the internal memory', mentioned how great that is followed by: 'Pre plus comes with 16GB of flash memory'. He called the 16GB of flash memory instead of storage. No way I'd assume 512RAM from that statement.

    I bet it has the same 256MB of RAM we have. All the phones using our processor have 256, it seems to come as a bundled package with the GPU. My bet is we won't see 512 till we move to snapdragon processors, as the Nexus One, HD2, and Xperia X10 have.
    True but I'm assuming the Palm PowerPoint writer knew what he/she was doing (clearly not language wise though) when they put in two separate bullets that the Pre had twice the Internal Memory and then 16 MB of storage...two bullet points, to me at least, seem like they are addressing two separate issues (RAM and storage). Of course I'm making an assumption and you know what they say about that
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    From what I've seen - 16MB of storage and 512MB of RAM is the only difference. Verizon may offer tethering and navigation but knowing Verizon it ain't gonna be free. The hardware advances (RAM) and the "Verizon services" don't make up for Sprint's pricing (at least if you don't find yourself away from metropolitan areas too often).
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    True but I'm assuming the Palm PowerPoint writer knew what he/she was doing (clearly not language wise though) when they put in two separate bullets that the Pre had twice the Internal Memory and then 16 MB of storage...two bullet points, to me at least, seem like they are addressing two separate issues (RAM and storage). Of course I'm making an assumption and you know what they say about that
    Youre confusing people (mainly me. lol).

    I think you mean to say 16gb not 16mb, cause 16mb would kinda suck! lol
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

    If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

    Follow the link below.


  7. solarus's Avatar
    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    Youre confusing people (mainly me. lol).

    I think you mean to say 16gb not 16mb, cause 16mb would kinda suck! lol
    I had a weird trip back to 1994, sorry!! Just what we need, more confusion
  8. #8  
    I see the camera has a flash and is 3.0 mp. However, what is the mp of the sprint Pre and what other differences are there??? Thanks and take care, jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  9. etnpnys's Avatar
    Posts
    115 Posts
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    #9  
    Cameras are the same, the button is gone, 512MB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and Verizon is going to cost you an arm and a leg over your contract.

    Seriously. I left VZW knowing that they would get the Pre soon. When I did the math, this is basically how VZW would charge my wife and I:

    $89 for first line
    $10 for second line
    $5 for texts for my wife
    $10 for texts for me
    $30 for data for my wife
    $30 for data for me

    ...don't even think about VZ Navigator and the ability to tether...
  10. #10  
    Don't you think that if Palm had just released a phone with half a gig of RAM (in other words... DOUBLE THE IPHONES RAM) that Palm would be happy with an ambiguous bullet point.

    Apparently, doubling the RAM isn't a roof top shouting kinda thing.
    Last edited by pogeypre; 01/08/2010 at 10:00 AM.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Don't you think that if Palm had just released a phone with half a gig of RAM (in other words... DOUBLE THE IPHONES RAM) that Palm would be happy with an ambiguous bullet point.

    Apparently, doubling the RAM isn't a roof top shouting kinda thing.
    I don't think RAM is a big deal on the Iphone b/c it doesn't multitask, so doubling it wouldn't do that much for overall speed. It would do a lot for the Pre though. I don't think they're bullet pointing this fact because I believe there are 100,000 or so Palm phones sitting on store shelves right now, so they don't want to release the actual specs until those phones are gone.
  12. #12  
    I posted this somewhere else and will post here again, the RAM upgrade is not that big of a deal, it will only make a difference if you run a big number of apps at the same time. All apps will be designed to work on 256 RAM so doubling the RAM will NOT improve the performance of any specific app. 1.4 will improve performance if it enables the use of GPU and is coming to both versions.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Don't you think that if Palm had just released a phone with half a gig of RAM (in other words... DOUBLE THE IPHONES RAM) that Palm would be happy with an ambiguous bullet point.

    Apparently, doubling the RAM isn't a roof top shouting kinda thing.
    It's already been confirmed multiple times by webOS internals and Jon Rubenstein (through Engadget's Joshua Topolofsky [sp]).

    Based on your posts, you really don't want to let this one go do you?
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    Cameras are the same, the button is gone, 512MB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and Verizon is going to cost you an arm and a leg over your contract.

    Seriously. I left VZW knowing that they would get the Pre soon. When I did the math, this is basically how VZW would charge my wife and I:

    $89 for first line
    $10 for second line
    $5 for texts for my wife
    $10 for texts for me
    $30 for data for my wife
    $30 for data for me

    ...don't even think about VZ Navigator and the ability to tether...
    Are you sure, V would not confirm that for me!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Are you sure, V would not confirm that for me!
    Confirm what?

    That's their smartphone family plan pricing for 1400 minutes and the messaging options he chose.
  16. #16  
    Verizon is way more expensive than Sprint, but I think I can finally bite the bullet with Verizon and the Pre Plus and drop my 3GS. All I wanted the original Pre to have is 16gb of space not to mention the double RAM will definitely boost performance. GSM service here in the states blows and CDMA is king here so it's either Sprint or Verizon for good coverage. Coming from AT&T my bill will be the same at Verizon although if the Pre Plus were going to Sprint I would definitely be thinking about going that route with that mobile to mobile calling.
  17. #17  
    we are have 5 phones on ne plan. mY wonderful G/F works for a company, that has V kiosks ib the store. Therefore, we get a very large discount with V. We in total have the 700 minute plan and never go over. In addition, my G/F's cell is her only phone, (no land line). Since we call each other without using minutes.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by thermodynamic View Post
    It's already been confirmed multiple times by webOS internals and Jon Rubenstein (through Engadget's Joshua Topolofsky [sp]).

    Based on your posts, you really don't want to let this one go do you?
    Or based on your post you didn't read about me eating my hat. I am ok with being wrong. It happens.... sometimes...
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Or based on your post you didn't read about me eating my hat. I am ok with being wrong. It happens.... sometimes...
    where are the links?
  20. #20  
    The processor is faster, but not confirmed how much faster:

    Go to 1:50.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions