Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 59
  1. Mavoz's Avatar
    Posts
    165 Posts
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
       #1  
    Dearest Palm,

    This is a long lost love of yours writing from the Southern Hemisphere.

    Our fair land here downunder was once a heartland for Palm products.
    We used to bask in the days of Palm III's, and Tungstens and Treos and even Centro's....

    But now sadly it appears you have forgotten us.

    Many Australians still like you....we care about your success...we are a nation that likes to back the 'underdog'..

    We were excited when we heard about your new Pre at CES 2009...we waited with hope...6 months

    when it launched on Sprint and then in Europe..we waited still..another 6 months...
    your Australian website gave us a glimmer of hope...

    maybe the day would come...

    perhaps CES 2010?

    and now again we hear of your wonderful new revision of the Pre...Pre Plus...

    but it too is now locked to another American carrier...and also in France...

    oh Palm...what have we done that you have cast us aside in such a manner...

    we ask not for much...just the opportunity to purchase your fine product in our own native land...or at least provide us with a store where we can purchase it from you in yours...

    return to us Palm....and tell us that you still care.

    we want to support you...and don't want to just fall in with the glassy eyed Apple people

    love

    the Palm loyalists of Australia.
  2. Jimbode's Avatar
    Posts
    424 Posts
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    #2  
    +1 for UK
  3. #3  
    ++++1 from Singapore.
  4. #4  
    haha we palm fanatics gotta chill a bit.

    by my reckoning, the earliest we might see a Pre officially launched here in APAC is 3Q 2010. enough time for the French launch to simmer over a bit, and another buzz raiser for Palm after all the Verizon/SFR hype.

    it would seem that they probably don't have strong infrastructural support here in APac, but given the previous launches of the Treo and Centro here in SG/Aus, I would think that they do. Palm's just trying to get a secure footing in US/EU before hitting the really really beeg mobile market here, i think.

    but till the official APAC launch, we early adopters can still get the full Palm loving with 1.4 in Feb!
  5. #5  
    I agree with the sentiments, but you can always import from Europe like a number of us have done.
  6. Mavoz's Avatar
    Posts
    165 Posts
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
       #6  
    yes probably will look at that now...I was just kind of hoping there might be an Australian launch coming up soon...importing does carry a warranty risk + would ideally love a way to get the Pre Plus now too....but we just don't know if we are talking about days, weeks, months or years before it arrives on our shores!

    Palm have given some indication of wanting to expand their presence...but maybe it is just a case of them 'circling the wagons' and letting those of us in the outlying regions to our own fates...until such time as they can launch a counter attack back into other markets...

    one way or the other it would be great to just be able to import the latest Palm device...(ie. now the Pre Plus) these locked down exclusives are great for the telco in the local countries...but it does mean the rest of the world have a hard time even buying their product...

    surely a GSM Pre Plus phone with QWERTY keyboard designed to work in as many markets as possible would be a great product to sell

    ...as of CES 2010 this phone really is right up there with functionality of the iPhone (in some cases better)..and yet much of the average population wouldn't even know it exists...let alone be bothered importing it...
    Last edited by Mavoz; 01/08/2010 at 01:47 AM.
  7. Crimson's Avatar
    Posts
    156 Posts
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    #7  
    I know I don't speak for ALL Americans, and certainly not ALL of Palm, but probably 99.99% when I say that we're still a bit ****ed off about the whole Crocodile Dundee thing. Yeah, that was 1986 but it is still etched into our memories. I'd give it a full 25 years before expecting anything from us.

    -Signed,
    The U.S.
  8. Mavoz's Avatar
    Posts
    165 Posts
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
    I know I don't speak for ALL Americans, and certainly not ALL of Palm, but probably 99.99% when I say that we're still a bit ****ed off about the whole Crocodile Dundee thing. Yeah, that was 1986 but it is still etched into our memories. I'd give it a full 25 years before expecting anything from us.

    -Signed,
    The U.S.
    lol...yeh sorry about that...

    forgive us please....

    What makes me nervous is Palm at CES 2011....


    "..and so we're now bringing you the new "Palm Present" with 1tb storage...wirless hdmi out...quad core cpu... 40,000 apps...and we've heard your requests for availability on more carriers....so we're bringing you the good news of availability of an exclusive locked phone on every US telco..."
    Last edited by Mavoz; 01/08/2010 at 02:12 AM.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavoz View Post
    yes probably will look at that now...I was just kind of hoping there might be an Australian launch coming up soon...importing does carry a warranty risk + would ideally love a way to get the Pre Plus now too....but we just don't know if we are talking about days, weeks, months or years before it arrives on our shores!

    Palm have given some indication of wanting to expand their presence...but maybe it is just a case of them 'circling the wagons' and letting those of us in the outlying regions to our own fates...until such time as they can launch a counter attack back into other markets...

    one way or the other it would be great to just be able to import the latest Palm device...(ie. now the Pre Plus) these locked down exclusives are great for the telco in the local countries...but it does mean the rest of the world have a hard time even buying their product...

    surely a GSM Pre Plus phone with QWERTY keyboard designed to work in as many markets as possible would be a great product to sell

    ...as of CES 2010 this phone really is right up there with functionality of the iPhone (in some cases better)..and yet much of the average population wouldn't even know it exists...let alone be bothered importing it...
    My assumption is that because of their size and building phase, they don't want to extend themselves too much by attempting to service too large a market. My fantasy was that they might cater for the loyal Palm enthusiasts by direct marketing unlocked GSM outside of the contacted countries. Dream on dreamer.
  10. #10  
    +10000 for AsiaPac. Don't take too long to come to this huge market Pallm before Android takes over
  11. bennish's Avatar
    Posts
    584 Posts
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    #11  
    prediction:

    APAC QWERTY GSM Palm Pre Plus in Q3 2010

    APAC QWERTY GSM Pre 2 announced CES 2011, avail Q1.

    By then Palm will be advanced and wealthy enough. Keep in mind, many Aussies either go iPhone or Nokia... Palm doesn't want to bother with southern hemisphere yet, because they're trying to build up themselves. The Aussie sales wouldn't make as much of a dent as u.s. / e.u. sales.

    If you'll remember, even Apple waited a while for Asia Pacific.

    The original iPhone was never actually sold in this region. iPhone 3G was the first one, if u cast ur minds back.

    I don't like it either but I guess it's a reality. They have to do this to become strong again. THEN they will reward us.

    ...won't they?
  12. Joene's Avatar
    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    #12  
    If Belgium gets the Nexus One before the Pre: bye bye Pre for me! Face it, The Google phone is a superior device (at least talking hardware). The only reason I would want a Pre (which is, face it, based upon 2-year-old technology as far as hardware is concerned) is the superslick WebOs.

    I think it is a shame that the Pre Plus hasn't got an AMOLED screen/a Snapdragon 1GHZ processor. So, for me Palm, is taking that long to roll out its products that they are simply outdated by the time they are available.... It's sad to see a multi-national company concentrate this much on its home market, as if the rest of the world weren't important enough.
  13. bennish's Avatar
    Posts
    584 Posts
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    #13  
    i owned an amoled phone for over a year. the screen was wonderful... if you were in a dark room.

    otherwise it sucked. i LOVE the pre's screen.

    why do you think apple hasn't gone oled?
  14. Joene's Avatar
    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    i owned an amoled phone for over a year. the screen was wonderful... if you were in a dark room.

    otherwise it sucked. i LOVE the pre's screen.

    why do you think apple hasn't gone oled?
    I have no personal experience with this kind of screens. Nevertheless, if you add a light sensor to the screen so that it can adjust automatically (see Nexus One), I think it won't be that bad.

    Since you get better battery performance with those things, I'm willing to have to peek a little bit more in daylight
  15. Andreas's Avatar
    Posts
    896 Posts
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavoz View Post
    lol...yeh sorry about that...

    forgive us please....

    What makes me nervous is Palm at CES 2011....


    "..and so we're now bringing you the new "Palm Present" with 1tb storage...wirless hdmi out...quad core cpu... 40,000 apps...and we've heard your requests for availability on more carriers....so we're bringing you the good news of availability of an exclusive locked phone on every US telco..."
    I think its more likely that the CES 2011 will announce that Palm has tied yet ONE more operator for Europe. At that pace they will cover the whole world within in a century or two...or three.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
  16. #16  
    Nobody likes Aus, it seems.
    You guys get a bum deal with almost everything.
    I feel for you, cousin :-(
  17. Mavoz's Avatar
    Posts
    165 Posts
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
       #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preene View Post
    Nobody likes Aus, it seems.
    You guys get a bum deal with almost everything.
    I feel for you, cousin :-(
    and the funny thing is there is actually quite a strong Australian presence here on Precentral...

    and we are a nation of gadget adopters...

    possibly one issue is that our biggest telco is Telstra...and they have gone with the Next G network..which operates at a non Pre frequency of 850Mhz...

    maybe that is just too much mucking around for Palm with a nation of only 20 mil....

    the sad thing down here is the tech media barely know the Pre exists...

    in fact one of the local tech mags labelled Palm as simply 'an also ran'

    Top 10 technology also-rans - News - PC Authority

    and in an article about exciting upcoming mobile tech for 2010 the only mentions given were to iPhone and Android...

    The Palm Pre means absolutely nothing to them...and isn't considered even worth mentioning next to iPhone and Google phones...

    tis truly sad....if the Palm Pre was launched down under with an "Apple" logo on the front it would be hyped on every morning tv program etc...but "Palm"...the popular press have forgotten them...

    ...but then that can change....a while back Apple themselves were going backwards...that is now Palms challenge across the globe....not just making a great phone....but finding a way to actually sell it too...
  18. conum's Avatar
    Posts
    338 Posts
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    #18  
    you should expand the thread's title with ... "or european offended you".
    but don't forget: palm is an us-american company, with the american hybris about "row", how they are used to call people outside their borders; they are so arrogant to brand this "row" in technical gadgets, manuals and more.
    yes -america, special usa - is on top.
    on top with blowing carbon to the atmosphere and bringing the word to an end.
    but palm will die earlier - in beta-status.
  19. fakemirror
    fakemirror's Avatar
    #19  
    errr...Palm closed their Australian office in 2009. Telstra, Optus and Vodaphone are not planning to adopt Pre or Pixie. I have been using an imported Pre for 2 months - nothing but trouble - Hopeless battery life, vagaries and inconsistentcies with App Catalog, NO SUPPORT, it goes on. Australian users - do yourselves a favour and go Android.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by fakemirror View Post
    errr...Palm closed their Australian office in 2009. Telstra, Optus and Vodaphone are not planning to adopt Pre or Pixie. I have been using an imported Pre for 2 months - nothing but trouble - Hopeless battery life, vagaries and inconsistentcies with App Catalog, NO SUPPORT, it goes on. Australian users - do yourselves a favour and go Android.
    I have been using mine for a lot less time, but the battery life is no worse than my 650, looking forward impatiently to a functioning App Catalog like everybody outside the US, plenty of support from Precentral and the Pre community, loving the Pre experience and looking forward to the PDK, 1.4 and beyond. I'm not going anywhere. I'm thoroughly enjoying the ride.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions