Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fantastic, thanks for confirming that. I had similar suspicions about the Plus availability, just didn't want to buy one and immediately have it superceded. Might give it a go then
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    If you buy a spanish pre, you get spanish app catalog. That's what I can see on mine - the 'featured' apps include spanish apps.

It doesn't matter what country you're IN or the SIM card, it depends where it's from.

I mean, if I was born in Spain, and live there, and buy a pre, then move to australia, do you really think it'd suddenly stop working?? crazy.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    you mean 'palm profile created with a spanish sim' not just 'spanish pre'
    Mine is Spanish, activated in Australia and I have the Spanish Catalog. I believe that the hardware is identified by it's origin. Palm really need to provide a user option "down the track" to cope with movement of phones during their lifetime.
    yes, we can purchase from on ebay, but what we need is a phone plus a plan.
    Right, so there's a specific Spanish App Catalog? Dang. Kind of a pain to be limited just to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Mine is Spanish, activated in Australia and I have the Spanish Catalog. I believe that the hardware is identified by it's origin. Palm really need to provide a user option "down the track" to cope with movement of phones during their lifetime.
    Somewhere else on this forum, I'm sure I read of an AT&T / movistar user who had access to the USA catalogue? I might send my phone with a friend (who is travelling to the USA) to activate it? See what turns up :-)
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    you mean 'palm profile created with a spanish sim' not just 'spanish pre'
    No, I mean what I say.

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joshsharp View Post
    Right, so there's a specific Spanish App Catalog? Dang. Kind of a pain to be limited just to that.
    Okay, I feel there's been some misunderstanding here. When I say Spanish App Catalog, I don't mean it's all spanish Apps. It has all the INTERNATIONAL apps that are visible to US, UK, Germany etc. But it doesn't have us-only, german-only, or uk-only, but does have spanish-only.

make sense? There's only like 5 actual spanish apps. The other 143 are the regular, english, international ones everyone has.

I just didn't want to mislead anyone here.

BTW, my Movistar Pre in Australia, = 148 apps

Aha, thanks for clearing that up
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Well I've reached the point where I think I'll just 'bite the bullet' and import this phone from Germany...(was vaguely hoping Telstra might suddenly announce "Palm Pre Plus" availability...but that appears unlikely)...

3 questions I'd value help with...

1.) Am concerned about the fact it won't work with Telstra Next G here...(850 frequency)...

it appears that data browsing on the other Australian networks via the phone in country areas will be shocking because their "3G" networks are not very extensive...

Can anyone comment on their experiences with the Palm Pre on any road trips through Australia? (ie outside of cities and towns of less than 50,000)

2.) I'm looking to import the phone via my Uncle in Germany..will order from Amazon.de...and get him to send it for me...

What accessories should I make sure I get in the deal? Touchstone?

3.) Is there any kind of activation I need to do before the phone arrives here? Or do I just plug in a sim of choice and away I go? (From what I read this should work..but just wanted to double check!)

Thank you!
  11. fakemirror
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    Okay, I feel there's been some misunderstanding here. When I say Spanish App Catalog, I don't mean it's all spanish Apps. It has all the INTERNATIONAL apps that are visible to US, UK, Germany etc. But it doesn't have us-only, german-only, or uk-only, but does have spanish-only.

make sense? There's only like 5 actual spanish apps. The other 143 are the regular, english, international ones everyone has.

I just didn't want to mislead anyone here.

BTW, my Movistar Pre in Australia, = 148 apps
    ...and my Sprint Pre, in Australia, has 505 apps available as at late night Tuesday 26 Jan. The missing app from the catalog - just disappeared altogether? Yes - MotionApps Classic. It just is not in the Catalog in 1.3.5.1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavoz View Post
    Well I've reached the point where I think I'll just 'bite the bullet' and import this phone from Germany...(was vaguely hoping Telstra might suddenly announce "Palm Pre Plus" availability...but that appears unlikely)...

3 questions I'd value help with...

1.) Am concerned about the fact it won't work with Telstra Next G here...(850 frequency)...

it appears that data browsing on the other Australian networks via the phone in country areas will be shocking because their "3G" networks are not very extensive...

Can anyone comment on their experiences with the Palm Pre on any road trips through Australia? (ie outside of cities and towns of less than 50,000)

2.) I'm looking to import the phone via my Uncle in Germany..will order from Amazon.de...and get him to send it for me...

What accessories should I make sure I get in the deal? Touchstone?

3.) Is there any kind of activation I need to do before the phone arrives here? Or do I just plug in a sim of choice and away I go? (From what I read this should work..but just wanted to double check!)

Thank you!
    1) Don't believe Telstra marketing. You'll get 2G speeds in 2G areas and 3G speeds in 3G areas. 2G speeds are fine for prefectly email, for instance.

2) You can probably get a cheaper touchstone from HK on ebay.

3) Just plug in a non-Telstra SIM and it should work straight away if you're in an area with 3G reception.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    definitely get the touchstone. it's one of the most awesome things about the phone.

even if you don't, just get the touchstone back. it feels fantastic, and the plain shiny plastic back makes it feel like a 70 dollar samsung. eugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mavoz View Post

I can confirm that 3 seems to be restricted to just purely metropolitan Adelaide.
    Here are coverage maps for GSM carriers. Not sure how reliable it is because Telstra is shown as having 900/1800 coerage.

GSM Coverage Maps | Australia
    I can confirm that 3 seems to be restricted to just purely metropolitan Adelaide.
    Posted this in the other Aussie thread, not sure if you missed it, but:

From what I have read, 3 & Telstra jointly own the 2100mhz 3G hardware that both carriers "share" in the cities. 3 users roam to Telstras 850 mhz outside the capital cities. (although not on a european pre)

Pre users on Telstra show as roaming in the capital cities, but in reality this is only because they are NOT on the 850mhz network (which Telstra refers to as nextG) they are actually using the jointly owned 2100mhz network.

You can look at the Telstra coverage maps here Mobile Networks State Coverage Search - Telstra

They distinguish between NextG and plain old 3G/GSM. If you select 3G/GSM you will see there is ONLY coverage in the main capital cities in Aus. I would imagine this mirrors the 3 network.

Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post

Posted this in the other Aussie thread, not sure if you missed it, but:
    Pre users on Telstra show as roaming in the capital cities, but in reality this is only because they are NOT on the 850mhz network (which Telstra refers to as nextG) they are actually using the jointly owned 2100mhz network.
    Yes. I was just confirming what it means to me in practice. Telstra's Mobile Internet is expensive, but can anybody tell me what they charge for data when roaming on 2100MHz.

Still haven't got yours yet? (I guess that we would have heard about it.)
    Mine hasn't arrived yet :-(

Re: Roaming I don't think you have anywhere to roam too? Unless 3 roam on optus or voda??

Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    Mine hasn't arrived yet :-(

Re: Roaming I don't think you have anywhere to roam too? Unless 3 roam on optus or voda??
    Now I am confused. I thought that from 3 I was roaming onto Telstra GPRS.
    Now I am confused. I thought that from 3 I was roaming onto Telstra GPRS.
    Oh yes you should roam to gprs just not 3G

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123