Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 59
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by wensiong View Post
    ++++1 from Singapore.
    i got one here in singapore! import from UK, rebel sim!
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by fakemirror View Post
    errr...Palm closed their Australian office in 2009. Telstra, Optus and Vodaphone are not planning to adopt Pre or Pixie. I have been using an imported Pre for 2 months - nothing but trouble - Hopeless battery life, vagaries and inconsistentcies with App Catalog, NO SUPPORT, it goes on. Australian users - do yourselves a favour and go Android.
    funny that cos I had mine for 3 months now with no problems. In my opion the battery is no different to any other smartphone in oz and aleast you can swap over the battery not like some icrap phone.

    would love paid apps & updates the same as the US, that's my only beef with palm.

    a telstra rep said that they will get the pre in the end of 2010
  3. #23  
    +1 for India... still waiting... Also, don't team-up with AirTel for your launch. We want the unlocked GSM!!! Please?

    I heard some of the development work is done in India (which probably explains the initial bugs )
    Game over!
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    There will probably be no working App Catalog in Australia this coming March (with paid apps and all).

    To quote Katie Mitic (Palm SVP Product Marketing):
    Any developer's now free to submit any WebOS application to Palm for distribution in any of the 7 markets that we do business.

    UNLESS UNLESS
    The Carrier coding (DSCARRIER something *****) in the findapp app (that's the App Catalog app) has two options:
    Sprint and ROW.
    In that case the Rest of World will be just fine this March.

    Hmmm, Bell won't have the App Catalog so I wonder what implications that may have on its availability in carrier partner-less countries.
    I am anticipating that my access to the App Catalog will be as for Moviestar in Spain, since that is the origin of my phone. We'll see in a few months, I guess.
  5. fakemirror
    fakemirror's Avatar
    #25  
    But if you are running an Australiam SIMM in your MovieStar Pre, it will not understand that your are in Spain. Only way it can do App Catalog is from Spanish network.
  6. fakemirror
    fakemirror's Avatar
    #26  
    ...and Telstra management have said they are both not taking Pre or Pixie. The also have stated that the Oz market is over-subscribed with main players: Nokia, HTC, Samsung, LG - they do not want a low-volume niche player with a platform that requires huge support.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by fakemirror View Post
    But if you are running an Australiam SIMM in your MovieStar Pre, it will not understand that your are in Spain. Only way it can do App Catalog is from Spanish network.
    And you know this how? Reference please. I have the impression that the App Catlog(s) will be a Palm facility with access determined by Profile and hardware identifier.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by fakemirror View Post
    But if you are running an Australiam SIMM in your MovieStar Pre, it will not understand that your are in Spain. Only way it can do App Catalog is from Spanish network.
    App Catalog access depends on a valid palm profile with an associated hardware identifier.

    The palm profile and hardware identifier determine which app catalog you see (USA, EU, etc).

    The original cellular network of purchase has no bearing on that for GSM Pre's.

    For example, I have a German O2 Pre running in Australia accessing the GSM EU App Catalog just fine with an Australian Vodofone SIM.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    App Catalog access depends on a valid palm profile with an associated hardware identifier.
    The palm profile and hardware identifier determine which app catalog you see (USA, EU, etc).
    -- Rod
    So a USA resident, with verifiable USA street address, but with a European GSM palm, would not have access to the USA App catalogue? Is this correct?

    What I'm asking is there is some sort of filtering going on based on the device ID? The "hardware identifier" you refer to isn't just the fact that its a Palm product? It actually differentiates between say GSM and CDMA, or has even greater differentiation than that? ie: GSM EU or GSM mexico or CDMA USA vs CDMA canada?
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    So a USA resident, with verifiable USA street address, but with a European GSM palm, would not have access to the USA App catalogue? Is this correct?
    As far as I can tell from my own experiment, that is correct.
    What I'm asking is there is some sort of filtering going on based on the device ID? The "hardware identifier" you refer to isn't just the fact that its a Palm product? It actually differentiates between say GSM and CDMA, or has even greater differentiation than that? ie: GSM EU or GSM mexico or CDMA USA vs CDMA canada?
    Yes, take a look at the details recorded in your online Palm Profile.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Yes, take a look at the details recorded in your online Palm Profile.
    -- Rod
    I don't have my Palm Pre yet :-)

    Just trying to figure out what the best setup is when it arrives :-)

    Hopefully next week!!
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

  12. fakemirror
    fakemirror's Avatar
    #32  
    Rod,
    Re looking at ones' Palm Profile online, is there a better way than using Palm's 'Manage your Device' facility. This facility provides only a small amount of data. For example, can I see a list of my Apps in the Profile?

    Thanks (from Sydney)
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by fakemirror View Post
    Rod,
    Re looking at ones' Palm Profile online, is there a better way than using Palm's 'Manage your Device' facility. This facility provides only a small amount of data. For example, can I see a list of my Apps in the Profile?

    Thanks (from Sydney)
    Nope, that's all you get.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  14. fakemirror
    fakemirror's Avatar
    #34  
    Damn !
    I Doctored my ex-Sprint CDMA Pre last weekend, then installed 1.3.5.1. All my Apps and data restored from my Profile - EXCEPT for Classic - which I had been running happily for 2 months on webOS 1.3.1.

    ...AND at the same time, Classic is no longer available to me in the App Catalog. Just does not show up in the Catalog.

    MotionApps Support have no idea why. This is devasting as I used PalmOS apps a lot in classic.
  15. fakemirror
    fakemirror's Avatar
    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    App Catalog access depends on a valid palm profile with an associated hardware identifier.

    The palm profile and hardware identifier determine which app catalog you see (USA, EU, etc).

    The original cellular network of purchase has no bearing on that for GSM Pre's.

    For example, I have a German O2 Pre running in Australia accessing the GSM EU App Catalog just fine with an Australian Vodofone SIM.

    -- Rod
    Rod, this is excellent information, clears up a grey area for many - thank you. May I assume that webOS updates are also determined by the same criteria of valid Palm Profile (of course) and hardware identifier e.g. EU GSM Pres receiving webOS 1.3.5.2, whereas US CDMA on Sprint and Bell currently get 1.3.5.1. All this is done simply with the Hardware identifier (is it the MEID No.?)
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    App Catalog access depends on a valid palm profile with an associated hardware identifier.

    The palm profile and hardware identifier determine which app catalog you see (USA, EU, etc).

    The original cellular network of purchase has no bearing on that for GSM Pre's.

    For example, I have a German O2 Pre running in Australia accessing the GSM EU App Catalog just fine with an Australian Vodofone SIM.

    -- Rod
    I'm not so sure. I have an unlocked German O2 Pre running in Sweden with a Swedish Carrier and I can't access the app catalogue at all. I either get "This action could not be completed" or "This app is not available in your country".

    This started with 1.3.5. I had access to some free stuff in 1.3.1.
  17. Andreas's Avatar
    Posts
    896 Posts
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    For example, I have a German O2 Pre running in Australia accessing the GSM EU App Catalog just fine with an Australian Vodofone SIM.

    -- Rod
    So, is the Vodofone SIM that you keep in you Pre the same as you used when setting up the profile ie if you would use Palms "My device is stolen" service would it still match the same SIM and lock you phone or did you use a German or UK SIM for setting up a profile and then swapped to you Vodafone card?
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    So, is the Vodofone SIM that you keep in you Pre the same as you used when setting up the profile ie if you would use Palms "My device is stolen" service would it still match the same SIM and lock you phone or did you use a German or UK SIM for setting up a profile and then swapped to you Vodafone card?
    It is the same SIM.

    -- Rod
  19. #39  
    Hey, I'm in Australia and thinking about getting a GSM Pre off ebay, probably from Spain. I'd love if you guys would be able to answer some questions for me:

    1. It looks like the App Catalog depends on which country you bought the device from, is that right? So I'd be in the EU Catalog?
    2. So that region can't access paid apps yet?
    3. The specs indicate the Pre supports standard 3G bands, so using it on the 3 network should be fine, yes?
    4. I realise this can only be speculation on your part, but do you think it's worth waiting to see if a GSM Pre Plus is released once the Verizon Pre Pluses become available?

    Cheers.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by joshsharp View Post
    Hey, I'm in Australia and thinking about getting a GSM Pre off ebay, probably from Spain. I'd love if you guys would be able to answer some questions for me:

    1. It looks like the App Catalog depends on which country you bought the device from, is that right? So I'd be in the EU Catalog?
    2. So that region can't access paid apps yet?
    3. The specs indicate the Pre supports standard 3G bands, so using it on the 3 network should be fine, yes?
    4. I realise this can only be speculation on your part, but do you think it's worth waiting to see if a GSM Pre Plus is released once the Verizon Pre Pluses become available?

    Cheers.
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. I'm on 3 in Aus and can confirm everything works including 3G data.
    4. You're right pure speculation, but I can't see a GSM Pre Plus being released outside the US until AT&T have had a go at it. So that's got to be 9-12 months.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions