Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1.    #1  
    I've been waiting patiently for two things before I bought the Pre:
    • Fix the hardware issues
    • Utilize the GPU



    With the Palm Pre Plus, both of my concerns have been taken care of. I'm currently with Verizon with an XV6700; so needless to say, its about time for an upgrade.

    Since my phone is so old, the plan that i'm on currently doesn't require data (as all smartphones on Verizon now do). However, i'm not willing to spend nearly $100 a month on a phone.

    As such, i'd like to grab this on eBay without contract and head over to Sprint. Will this work? How is Sprint's policy with other CDMA devices?

    I KNOW no one can answer for certain, but based off of previous experiences/stories you may have heard... do you think it will work/will Sprint allow it?

    Thanks.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by thebachellor View Post
    I've been waiting patiently for two things before I bought the Pre:
    • Fix the hardware issues
    • Utilize the GPU




    Thanks.
    There is no need for such shenannigans, the regular Palm Pre will receive those two items along with any other enhancements because they are software based.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
    There is no need for such shenannigans, the regular Palm Pre will receive those two items along with any other enhancements because they are software based.
    Either you're saying that Sprint will get the Palm Pre Plus, or that software enhancements will magically fix the shoddy hardware on the Sprint version.... which one is it?
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by thebachellor View Post
    Either you're saying that Sprint will get the Palm Pre Plus, or that software enhancements will magically fix the shoddy hardware on the Sprint version.... which one is it?
    what shoddy hardware problems are you referring to?
  5. #5  
    Seriously, the bigger issue is the price and wanting to use a superior webos device on the Sprint network, does anyone know if this is possible?
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by thebachellor View Post
    Either you're saying that Sprint will get the Palm Pre Plus, or that software enhancements will magically fix the shoddy hardware on the Sprint version.... which one is it?
    Shoddy hardware? You are making that assumption because you have owned a Pre? The Pre is no different than any other device, people drop them, sit on them and s##t just happens. The techs at Sprint say the return rate for the Pre's are not any higher than any of the other phones that they sell. We have 3 pres in our family and they all work fine. To get back on the subject, there is no reason I can think of why the Pre plus won't work on Sprint.
  7. #7  
    i doubt the devices are interchangeable, you'd better off wait for Pre 2 on sprint, shouldn't be too far away.
  8. #8  
    We'll have to wait and see what the costs of the non-contract Plus series are to see which route will be cheapest:

    Sprints early termination fee + a Verizon Pre-Plus Vs. A non-contracted Palm-Plus?

    Though non-contracted devices usually approach near twice the price of the same subsidized device so this seems quite the expensive option.

    I'm not certain either route is even worth the cost as, for me, the only thing the Pre-Plus offers is new storage/memory specs which at current I find my Pre to be sufficient.

    The remaining Pre-plus features I don't even care for:
    They're removing the Navigation button which may imply the loss of LED notifications and they're introducing a native hot-spot application which will require us to pay more $ to Verizon for something we can currently have for free via the "MyTether" homebrew app.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dk0r View Post

    Sprints early termination fee + a Verizon Pre-Plus Vs. A non-contracted Palm-Plus?
    No Early Termination Fee for a period of about 30 days, read here:

    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ation-fee.html
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    i doubt the devices are interchangeable, you'd better off wait for Pre 2 on sprint, shouldn't be too far away.
    I never asked if they were interchangable. I just asked if Sprint would allow it on their network, and if data would work.

    Quote Originally Posted by crossweb View Post
    No Early Termination Fee for a period of about 30 days, read here:
    Well I was never with Sprint, and i'm out of contract with Verizon... so there's no termination fee to consider.

    Anyone else with any idea on this?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    You cannot use a verizon phone on the sprint network.
    +1. Sprint made a lot of noise a year or so back about eventually allowing activation of foreign (non-Sprint) phones on their network, but as of yet, none of those promises have come to pass, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $They$ $still$ $won$'$t$ $activate$ $phones$ $that$ $aren$'$t$ $Sprint$-$branded$.

    Furthermore, OP, it's pretty sweet that you have a smartphone without a data plan now, but you should know that a Pre (on any network) is going to require one to be activated. It will certainly be cheaper on Sprint, but it won't be free.

Posting Permissions