Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm at day 30 tomorrow of a sprint pixi. Sprint generally, and the pixi specifically, got left in the dust a bit today--I know, they may get access to the next gen device, they may get pixi and pre + sometime relatively soon, etc...but in the short term, they (we, you) got left out a bit.

I'm not keen on Verizon's pricing, but I'm trying to crunch the numbers to see if I can be in the same ballpark. If I go with a verizon plan for two palm pre's and use the tethering option, I can get rid of my $60 /month wireless coverage...now verizon's coverage is more than $129/month, but with getting rid of my wireless, I've got $190/month to play with.

Can I get two verizon pre's (one tethered) and reasonable plans for around $200/month? What would you do if you were me? Or should I suck it up and stay with the sprint pixi? Or upgrade to the sprint pre? It's kind of hard to think of doing that with the pre plus and such on verizon.

I truly feel bad for you early adopters; despite being thrilled with your new pre features-gaming here and video coming soon!--you must feel bummed (at least a little) that there is a 'better' device on a different carrier. That's how I'm feeling with the pixi, anyway, and I was late to the game....

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    It depends on how fast of internet you want for your home computers, right now I have Vios and it rocks. If you don't care about that, then I would say go for it.

One more thing, Verizon raised their ETF for smartphones from 175 dollars to 350 dollars per phone, so you better make sure that's what you want to do.
    Last edited by netwrkr9; 01/07/2010 at 06:03 PM. Reason: more info
    If it was me, I'd look long and hard at the Sprint Pre for the minimal additional cost, honestly.

The Sprint Pixi was gimped enough with the lack of Wifi, but the bombshell that Flash and 3D games won't work is enough for me to say not to stay on it.
    The Key is how much Verizon plan on charging for the tethering option. If you look at the video where the lady demos the Pre Plus, she mentions that the tethering is an option--it's not free. Might make more sense to stick with what you have and wait for the next Palm phone.
    100% sure verizon will charge for tethering AND still limit it to 5GB.

Verizon is way more expensive, has less coverage(doesn't work anywhere within 20 miles of me since analog is gone), and they charge for every little thing.

I have never had Verizon Wireless, as I said I can't really, but I have their landline service.

People talk about Customer Service with sprint sucking, well, I have had a LOT more problems with Verizon CS for home phone services.

simple things like their website not working happens all the time, payments not taken on their auto pay, etc. And if you try to call in they want you to pay $4 for the 'privilege' to pay by phone!
    Quote Originally Posted by el_dheeb View Post
    The Key is how much Verizon plan on charging for the tethering option. If you look at the video where the lady demos the Pre Plus, she mentions that the tethering is an option--it's not free. Might make more sense to stick with what you have and wait for the next Palm phone.
    When I was with Verizon, I had wireless for my laptop, $59.99 plus taxes and fees per month, so I don't think it is going to be much less than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by torourke View Post
    I'm at day 30 tomorrow of a sprint pixi. Sprint generally, and the pixi specifically, got left in the dust a bit today--I know, they may get access to the next gen device, they may get pixi and pre + sometime relatively soon, etc...but in the short term, they (we, you) got left out a bit.

I'm not keen on Verizon's pricing, but I'm trying to crunch the numbers to see if I can be in the same ballpark. If I go with a verizon plan for two palm pre's and use the tethering option, I can get rid of my $60 /month wireless coverage...now verizon's coverage is more than $129/month, but with getting rid of my wireless, I've got $190/month to play with.

Can I get two verizon pre's (one tethered) and reasonable plans for around $200/month? What would you do if you were me? Or should I suck it up and stay with the sprint pixi? Or upgrade to the sprint pre? It's kind of hard to think of doing that with the pre plus and such on verizon.

I truly feel bad for you early adopters; despite being thrilled with your new pre features-gaming here and video coming soon!--you must feel bummed (at least a little) that there is a 'better' device on a different carrier. That's how I'm feeling with the pixi, anyway, and I was late to the game....

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Your pricing structure doesn't account for the tethering on the Pre+. That's not going to be free (I'm listening to the presentation as I type this, and Ruby just said "add the appropriate feature to your voice/data plan"), nor do you know yet what restrictions there would be (what if there's a monthly data limit a la' Sprint's MiFi?)

I would not want to depend on phone 3g wireless as my home network access even if there were no data amount restrictions. I think you're overestimating the advantage of this feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    If it was me, I'd look long and hard at the Sprint Pre for the minimal additional cost, honestly.

The Sprint Pixi was gimped enough with the lack of Wifi, but the bombshell that Flash and 3D games won't work is enough for me to say not to stay on it.
    That one I agree on. My wife is seriously looking at her 20 day old Pixi, and determining if she's returning it and paying the extra $50 or so for a Pre.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for the feedback...I figured the tethering wouldn't be free, but given I've got $190 to play with (which is what my sprint contract and wireless amount to), I thought I'd have a chance to get within that range on verizon. Unfortunately, for me, I can never figure out verizon's damn plans, as they seem to nickle and dime.

Now, I do need reliable wireless, and lots of it (I work from home), so it does sound like I'm overestimating that feature.
    I am going to guess the tethering option is going to be $30 extra. But at this point that's all we can do is guess. Heck we don't even know what they are going to charge for the phones yet.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph3n View Post
    Verizon is way more expensive, has less coverage(doesn't work anywhere within 20 miles of me since analog is gone), and they charge for every little thing.
    Ok, I love Sprint and all, but I hope you realize Verizon might have less coverage for you, but they have vastly better coverage than Sprint for the majority of the country.

To the OP, they haven't released pricing yet for the Palm phones on Verizon, so you are likely to be out of choices without the info you need to really compare them before the end of your 30 days.

Buying any new electronic gadget of any kind within 30 days of CES is a really, really, really, really bad idea.
    it's hard to say verizon coverage is better when sprint roams on it.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    3G...
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
    I am going to guess the tethering option is going to be $30 extra. But at this point that's all we can do is guess. Heck we don't even know what they are going to charge for the phones yet.
    I think you are right on here, boomhower

A friend of mine has the Droid so I'm a bit familiar with what he should be paying: $30.00 per month for unlimited data, $30.00 per month for tethering, and $30.00 per month for corporate e-mail access. Yikes! Verizon gets you coming and going with the Droid!

Now these numbers were as of 1 December 2009, so I don't know if this is their current pricing structure. It was when the Droid was introduced though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    it's hard to say verizon coverage is better when sprint roams on it.
    how is it hard to say that? You just proved verizon's coverage is wider. and it is, there's no disputing that. but it's a generality, there will be exceptions, but verizon has the largest most reliable coverage out there.

And now, they actually have phones I want. However, with that said, the everything data family plan is dirt cheap when 3/4 phones are on data. And given I live in the Washington DC area, pretty much everyone is good coverage (though, CDMA wins out at my house).

for me, I will stick w/ sprint as long as they stay far more competitive in pricing. And if their network doesn't suffer.
    Yeah verizon owns more towers than sprint, but sprint phones roam on them fo free. So where is the selling point for verizon over sprint?

keep in mind also that verizon roams on sprint, which greatly helps their best coverage claim.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Yeah verizon owns more towers than sprint, but sprint phones roam on them fo free. So where is the selling point for verizon over sprint?

As I said in my previous post: 3G.

Roaming on verizon = 1x

Also, if you roam over 50% of the time, Sprint may drop you (it's happened before, and been posted on the forums).
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post

Buying any new electronic gadget of any kind within 30 days of CES is a really, really, really, really bad idea.
    Why is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    As I said in my previous post: 3G.

Roaming on verizon = 1x

Also, if you roam over 50% of the time, Sprint may drop you (it's happened before, and been posted on the forums).
    I roam on verizon with EVDO, but I am not going to complain or say where
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by torourke View Post
    Why is that?
    Because they are very likely to announce something that may give you instant buyers remorse. Waiting those few days may give you a lot better options than you had before.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast