Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. bobwill's Avatar
    Posts
    145 Posts
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
       #1  
    I do not understand why we are forced to upgrade from one version to another.
    Who makes these decisions? You get a message stating that Version 1.3.5.1 is ready to be installed. If you say I do not want to now, it says I will do it automatically the next time you charge. I will either turn off my Palm or put it into Airplane Mode. It should be the owner or users choice when they want to go to the next level, especially when you have to remove themes and patches. I just got version 1.3.5 working the way I want and now I am forced to another level...

    I own the Palm and it should be my choice, not some software engineer.
    Palm Pre OS 1.4.5 500/1000 MHz--Provider:Sprint
  2. #2  
    The patches aren't made by Palm, and they can't base their software around things the user does on their own.

    That being said, you can always disable the updatedaemon.
  3. bobwill's Avatar
    Posts
    145 Posts
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by laelipoo View Post
    The patches aren't made by Palm, and they can't base their software around things the user does on their own.

    That being said, you can always disable the updatedaemon.
    How do you do that???
    Palm Pre OS 1.4.5 500/1000 MHz--Provider:Sprint
  4. #4  
    Updates are forced because it makes for a smoother experience for both Palm and Users. Otherwise users will start not being able to use apps they download because they don't have the latest version.

    It is also forced because patches are suppose to improve user experience and they don't want a bunch of angry nerds running around complaining that their phone doesn't do something right when they won't upgrade and get the fix.
  5. arnj's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwill View Post
    How do you do that???
    1. Google "palm pre updatedaemon"
    2. Visit resulting page(s) like: forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/221230-how-do-i-keep-my-pre-updating.html and webos-internals.org/wiki/Blocking_Updates - WebOS Internals


    I did it by installing the Terminal app (1st link) and then typing in the commands (2nd link). Verified as working in blocking 1.3.5.1, which I do not want right now.
  6. bobwill's Avatar
    Posts
    145 Posts
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Updates are forced because it makes for a smoother experience for both Palm and Users. Otherwise users will start not being able to use apps they download because they don't have the latest version.

    It is also forced because patches are suppose to improve user experience and they don't want a bunch of angry nerds running around complaining that their phone doesn't do something right when they won't upgrade and get the fix.
    I appreciate your comment. The problem that I see, is that from many of the comments on the forum, the upgrade has created numerous problem. I understand that if we did not install patches or themes then every thing would be just fine and no one would have a problem. I don't think that is realistic, concerning all the time and effort third parties developers have put in to making the Palm experience easier. From what I have read this upgrade does very little to enhance the Palm, therefore in my humble opinion should be optional. Are you also saying that every App and Patch has to be modified to accommodate 1.3.5.1??
    Palm Pre OS 1.4.5 500/1000 MHz--Provider:Sprint
  7. #7  
    I blocked mine at 1.2.1 only for the wifi tethering but I'm considering updating tonight
  8. #8  
    Why would anyone not want to gain an improvement with the Pre. What are you going to do when 1.4 comes out in a few weeks. Wow, even I don't want flash and true two way video recording. And the last update where 3D gaming can now be done. I agree. I didn't want that. ARE YOU NUTS! Sell your phone and get a basic Sanyo.!
  9. #9  
    Is the 1.3.5.1 a big enought update that we need to do the standard "uninstal" of our patcehs and themes?
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jakelaw View Post
    Is the 1.3.5.1 a big enought update that we need to do the standard "uninstal" of our patcehs and themes?
    Funny thing is that if you have read most of the post. You may not have to remove any of your patches. Heck I even left my theme this time. It was not major enough for me to spend time removing and reinstalling. The next one though I am going to reset my phone and start from scratch.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jakelaw View Post
    Is the 1.3.5.1 a big enought update that we need to do the standard "uninstal" of our patcehs and themes?
    I didn't remove my theme or patches (60 and counting including VK) and didnt have any problems. the update is very specific so do it and quit gripping.
  12. #12  
    I only removed my calendar patches. Now, I wouldn't say it was a good idea, as there can be small snippets of code, etc, but you SHOULD be fine.

Posting Permissions