Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I just downloaded Sims and Need for Speed. Opened up the Sims, and then to check things out I decided to see how many other cards I could open. Uh oh, only got the browser, but couldn't open up Nav. Tried it again with both, and couldn't open up more than three cards. I know these new apps will be heavy on memory, so I'm not surprised that they doubled the RAM on the pre plus. Just feeling a bit left out seeing the new kid on the block come along and kick dirt in my pre's face. Here's to hoping for pre2 on Sprint come June. IMO, Palm knocked it out of the park with this one, and my phone's going to feel brand new to me again. But I think this lack of memory might be a bit annoying when running the new gaming apps. Ahh well. The life of an early adopter.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Try doing a partial erase on your phone. Seems to clear up some of the memory issues, some of the time. Worked for me with Quake and Doom.
    asphalt 5 keeps crashing on me also. nfs works well for me so far
    I've been getting the too many cards error much more frequently since 1.3.1 even with a couple of web browser pages open so I think it is some sort of memory leak that is effecting things.
    People, seriously. If something like this happens

RESTART YOUR PHONE

I installed NFS, got the too many cards error, which wasn't much of a surprise seeing as how the game is freaking huge. Restarted the phone and it works fine. Can people try basic troubleshooting before complaining on the interweb?
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    I did some testing; sims needs 41MB of memory

No wonder they came out w/ pre plus.. the pre as it stands doesn't really have enough memory to handle everything new being thrown at it. (restarting the phone will help though...)

-mark
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    So I just downloaded Sims and Need for Speed. Opened up the Sims, and then to check things out I decided to see how many other cards I could open. Uh oh, only got the browser, but couldn't open up Nav. Tried it again with both, and couldn't open up more than three cards. I know these new apps will be heavy on memory, so I'm not surprised that they doubled the RAM on the pre plus. Just feeling a bit left out seeing the new kid on the block come along and kick dirt in my pre's face. Here's to hoping for pre2 on Sprint come June. IMO, Palm knocked it out of the park with this one, and my phone's going to feel brand new to me again. But I think this lack of memory might be a bit annoying when running the new gaming apps. Ahh well. The life of an early adopter.
    Well, you could always play games with no other cards are open (or one or two, depending on the game) and reopen your cards afterwards. I mean, think about the poor iPhone users stuck with only 1 app open, period. They lived with it
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Dude,
    We didn't buy a $200 phone to have to RESTART the phone everyday due to memory leak issues. Everyone has a very legitimate reason to complain about this issue. Bottom line--
    Palm needs to address this issue if they plan to continue selling 3D games that eat up battery and memory.
    But can it play the game well? If you are limited to opening other apps while playing it I can deal with it for now.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by buchkoba00 View Post
    People, seriously. If something like this happens

RESTART YOUR PHONE

I installed NFS, got the too many cards error, which wasn't much of a surprise seeing as how the game is freaking huge. Restarted the phone and it works fine. Can people try basic troubleshooting before complaining on the interweb?
    buchkoba. Let's try to cut it with the condescending posts, shall we? I've had the pre since launch, so I am pretty familiar with it.
    first of all, the too many cards error did come up when I tried to run the Sims immediately after downloading, so guess what I did? I restarted it. Then I was able to launch the app. What I'm saying is that these apps appear to be so memory hungry that while running they severely limit the number of cards you can have open. I did try a partial erase as well, but the result was the same. This isn't a complait thread, but more of an observation, as well as expressing a little jealousy of the user experience pre plus users are in for. I hope this explains things a bit more clearly for you, so you can calm down a tad.
    Last edited by morrison0880; 01/07/2010 at 05:25 PM.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kqnjml View Post
    We didn't buy a $200 phone to have to RESTART the phone everyday due to memory leak issues.
    The point that they put a game on the first cell, they stopped being phones and started being portable computers. With a computer it's a universally accepted troubleshooting step to reboot. And with Palm allowing anyone to write apps for the phone, and you installing Homebrew apps and patches, it's hardly a surprise that the thing needs a reboot every now and then.. just sayin'
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    But can it play the game well? If you are limited to opening other apps while playing it I can deal with it for now.
    Smooth as silk (NFS)
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    think of your Pre crashing as an automatic reboot feature to clear more memory.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
    Smooth as silk (NFS)
    it is a thing of beauty, isn't it?
    i got Asphalt5. man oh man does this game rock. The framerate is great. Yes mine crash after downloading but restarted my phone and everything is pretty dandy. I LOVE YOU PALM. I need bejeweled.
    I do have the pre from launch and will say that it's an on going issue. My concern is that with all the 3D game released, the issue will compound. Users will be extremely frustrated with rebooting their phone every time they play a 3D game. I'm just addressing what's real and hope Palm resolve this issue soon.
    who said they doubled the RAM on the pre plus?
    I think we old pre users have to face it that we cant use 3D games while running 5 different apps in the packground. The Pre has as much RAM as the 3Gs and that phone doesnt even feature multitasking.
    I know that most of you ran into memory problems without having any other cards open but this a problems i hope palm will sort out with the next update. 256MB should be enough for those games, if not palm should really improve the OS.
    Restarting the Pre resolved the issues for me, and I'm currently running Sims 3, messaging, email, web (posting this from my Pre!), Evernote, and Brightness Unlinked (background, but it's still a process the phone is handling), and loading Preware as we speak. No lag, no problems.

I got the Too Many Cards error right after downloading as well, and the restart totally fixed it. I think it just glitched, possible due to the ridiculously slow download due to the obscene server load the App Catalogue must have seen.

~Kelly

"Two things are infinite: the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ~Albert Einstein
    The double RAM was just an unfounded rumor, but unfortunately a lot of people can't distinguish rumor from fact.

Correction: it is not a rumor and has been confirmed by webOS Internals. Crow, prepare to be eaten!
    Last edited by dallashigh; 01/08/2010 at 05:15 PM.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast