1.    #1  
    Bets on how long until the elite Pre hackers get that Verizon app to also work on the Sprint Pre? I'll set the over/under at 2.5 days after the VZW Pre ships, assuming nobody gets their hands on it before then.
    I'll take the over but hope I lose.
    humm...you will have to first find a way to port the software to a Sprint phone first...I'm going way over, like never. Besides the homebrew community have been tethering for a while now.
    Quote Originally Posted by max.swell View Post
    humm...you will have to first find a way to port the software to a Sprint phone first...I'm going way over, like never. Besides the homebrew community have been tethering for a while now.
    You're kidding, right? Do you have any idea how simple this would be? I suspect it'll be before the VZW version shifts. Probably shortly after the VZW version of the emulator is available.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by max.swell View Post
    Doesn't it currently require rooting and crap? I have a feeling people would much rather run a simple app installed via Preware/Filecoaster.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Verizon are ********. I wouldn't mess around with them unless you want a 2000 dollar bill.
    I don't think the MiFi feature is "exclusive" to just Verizon so I can see Sprint launching this soon after Verizon's Pre launch. They have the capacity for it and they need people to consider Sprint's Palm Pre when compared to Verizon's "faster" Palm Pre Plus. If Sprint gets this, I may actually keep a phone (Palm Pre) for a full 2 years!
    Does everyone realized that Verizon is not giving away the tethering option. Yes the app is installed on the phone but to have it functional they will be charging for the service as a separate addon to the service plan. My guess is that they will charge around $30/month extra for that functionality.
  9. CoobeyMeyer
    Quote Originally Posted by themaroon View Post
    Doesn't it currently require rooting and crap? I have a feeling people would much rather run a simple app installed via Preware/Filecoaster.
    There is a PC app that installs tethering on it automatically. YouTube - PalmPreExpert's Channel for more help.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    I beleive palm delveloped the app taken from palms own website...

Use Wi-Fi to connect to a company network, or instantly create your own hotspot for up to five devices with the new Palm mobile hotspot app.

I would assume that this is tied to a carrier identifier buried in the OS. I would also imagine the guys over @ webos internals will not mess with it. If it is in fact palms code and if they do, I pretty sure they will not releases it to the public seeing as they have a solid relationship with palm.

Not to say that it will not happen but it will probably not be released on precentral or from webos internals.

So my guess is it will be awhile before it gets ported over if at all for us sprint users.
    Last edited by helidos; 01/08/2010 at 03:02 PM.
    There is probably nothing preventing Sprint from developing their own application like this for the Pre customers on their network.
    Quote Originally Posted by efmw117 View Post
    There is probably nothing preventing Sprint from developing their own application like this for the Pre customers on their network.
    Probably not, but Sprint doesn't like tethering. The Verizon app probably just shares the data connection. It should be easy to unofficially install it on our Sprint Pres. Might have to mod some code, but I don't see it being too difficult.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Use Wi-Fi to connect to a company network, or instantly create your own hotspot for up to five devices with the new Palm mobile hotspot app.
    Buried in the fine print:

"3G Mobile Hotspot is a separately purchased feature added to a voice and data plan."

"Can you pay me now?" isn't giving away this service for free, either.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Probably not, but Sprint doesn't like tethering. The Verizon app probably just shares the data connection. It should be easy to unofficially install it on our Sprint Pres. Might have to mod some code, but I don't see it being too difficult.
    sprint can do this easily if they want, its extra $$$ for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    Buried in the fine print:

"3G Mobile Hotspot is a separately purchased feature added to a voice and data plan."

"Can you pay me now?" isn't giving away this service for free, either.....
    If Sprint did decide to offer tethering like this, they would definitely charge for it. But there is probably a way for us to have the app for free, kind of like how we have MyTether. Someone will pick apart the code and figure out how it works. I'm hoping the MyTether developer(Aonic) improves his app so that we can tether with WiFi without breaking other phone functions.
    The Dev for MyTether is banking on using the new drivers/services/infrastructure in place for this to update MyTether.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    The Dev for MyTether is banking on using the new drivers/services/infrastructure in place for this to update MyTether.
    That's what I was hoping. I'm sure it will be an update to the donor only version though, although so many people have leaked the installer to download for free.