Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbowen1982 View Post
    ... And this is the truth- Your GPS unit needs to have its maps updated every 6-12 months. Road conditions change about 20% annually ... two-ways become one-ways, new roads are built others are removed. If you never update your GPS it will be pretty worthless in a few years. And yes, not every area will be affected by the 20% annual changes ... but I don't use GPS in the areas I know and live in, I use it when I travel to unknown places where accuracy is key.
    20%? I'm calling BS. You're telling me that 20% of roads have something change per year? No way. Think about that in smaller terms: in your city alone, did 1 out of every 5 roads change last year? Or even smaller terms: in your neighborhood, did 1 out of 5 streets change last year? No way. I'd maybe buy 2%.

...On all other fronts, though, I agree. For me, Verizon has better coverage, stronger signal, fewer drops, and now their phones are on par (FINALLY) with the competition. But am I willing to pay over $60 more PER MONTH for my wife and I to do the same things (not taking into consideration VZ Nav and tethering)? No way. That's why I left.

When I left, I also called Verizon and gave them a fair shake - I spoke to the retentions department and told them I was leaving and exactly why I was leaving. What did the guy do? He tried to walk me through making sure I was in the right plan. Dude, if he would have comp'ed me one data plan per month I would have stayed and waited for the Pre Plus.

On the flipside, when we went to Sprint, I told them exactly what I wanted them to do for me: give me the phones at the final price without the rebate. After talking to a manager, they made it happen. On a second instance (albeit one that I wouldn't have NEEDED with Verizon), I called them and told them how happy I was with my phone, with my reception at work and on the road, but that my reception in my house was poor - dropped calls and unreliability. I told them exactly that and asked them to GIVE ME an Airave - and they said "One is on the way."

This is the type of company that I like to stand behind - a company that at every turn doesn't look like it's trying to flip you upside down and shake every last penny out of your pocket, and one that is willing to meet you where you realistically want to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    20%? I'm calling BS. You're telling me that 20% of roads have something change per year? No way. Think about that in smaller terms: in your city alone, did 1 out of every 5 roads change last year? Or even smaller terms: in your neighborhood, did 1 out of 5 streets change last year? No way. I'd maybe buy 2%.
    You're taking my examples to the extreme. I don't know where YOU live, but we have road construction CONSTANTLY ... road signs change, on-ramps/off-ramps get redesigned. Things change all the time, and I think 20% is a reasonable ESTIMATE of the changes made ANNUALLY on a NATIONAL level.

I didn't make that number up, btw ... that was straight from my training at RadioShack. I don't care if you believe me ... but you are making assumptions without any actual knowledge. And if they are giving away map updates for free, the data is irrelevant regardless of accuracy.

As for comp'ing features ... I don't think it's possible to set up recurring monthly credits, but I could be wrong. Sorry VZW lost your business ... I hope you're happy with your Sprint service. I am ... well, 99.9 percent of the time.

~Bowen
    Last edited by sirbowen1982; 01/11/2010 at 03:39 PM.
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    You're taking my examples to the extreme. I don't know where YOU live, but we have road construction CONSTANTLY ... road signs change, on-ramps/off-ramps get redesigned. Things change all the time, and I think 20% is a reasonable ESTIMATE of the changes made ANNUALLY on a NATIONAL level.

I didn't make that number up, btw ... that was straight from my training at RadioShack. I don't care if you believe me ... but you are making assumptions without any actual knowledge.

~Bowen
    Lol - my actual knowledge is based off of real life. I live in southern California - not the boondocks - in the fastest growing area in the largest county in the nation.

Now that I think about it, though, if you take into consideration all of the changes in POIs in your area I think 20% is accurate. And if the #s are straight from Radio Shack training, my beef is with false information (or information without all the facts) given to sales people to push products.
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    LOL - thanx for getting us back on track.
  5.    #126  
    It's funny.... I already ate my hat and yet the controversy lives. I should run a tabloid....
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Jon Rubinstein makes very clear in the interview that the Pre Plus has both double ram and storage at exactly the 14:45 mark in the interview on All Things D

"We doubled the internal memory....so 3D games will play better on it...And we doubled the user storage from 8 Gig to 16 Gig... so you can store your movies or applications..."
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    thanks guys for clearing that up for me. I still would not switch from Sprint. I pay 129 and to get the exact same service on VZ it would cost over 200 beans. I'll wait until the next round of palm phones on sprint.
    look at precentral home page at the article jon rubenstein sits down with kara swisher. In the video after 14:30 palm ceo is stating the pre plus specs. He says they have doubled memory for better 3d game performance AND have doubled user storage to 16gb. The pre plus officially poos on sprint pre guys. Except I prefer my home button over the gesture button.
    http://www.precentral.net/confirmed-...have-512mb-ram

So when will the hat eating begin?
  10.    #131  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    I had a thought too... what version of WebOs is the Verizon Pre running? 1.4 is likely and optimizing the Pre to do those things is what 1.4 is uh.. for.

As to the RAM thing. I received an emailed response from my Palm friend. It is definitely more RAM. I love a good controversy, and this has been fun. This is the final word on this.... any people who further doubt this are Global Warming Deniers... I mean uh... Double RAM deniers?
    It's funny.... I already ate my hat and yet the controversy lives. I should run a tabloid....
    I could eat my hat on this one, but after relistenting to the Palm presentation, I did not hear nor see 512mb of Ram mentioned at all. Unless someone can point that out to me in the Video, I have to say that it is crap.

<edit> Hats are yummy.
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    ...................................................................... yeah.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

I used to work for RadioShack before getting pulled away by VZW ... And this is the truth- Your GPS unit needs to have its maps updated every 6-12 months. Road conditions change about 20% annually ... two-ways become one-ways, new roads are built others are removed. If you never update your GPS it will be pretty worthless in a few years. And yes, not every area will be affected by the 20% annual changes ... but I don't use GPS in the areas I know and live in, I use it when I travel to unknown places where accuracy is key.

I don't want this to sound like a sales pitch, but it breaks down like this-
    Sweet expensive GPS that compares to VZ Nav - 600 + 3yrs of updates (100x3) = $900.
    VZ Navigator - 3yrs billed 9.99/mo = $360

It would take 7 and 1/2 years of monthly billing to equal the 3 year cost of a high-end stand-alone GPS. Of course, you could get a cheaper model (lower initial cost) and not update your maps (bad idea) and it would cost much less ... but it wouldn't be comparable to VZ Nav at all.

VZW charges for this service because it's worth it, so they can *shrug* ... take it or leave it, I think VZ Nav rocks. Our plans are spendy, I know ... but a BMW costs more than a Volvo, even though they provide the same basic functions. But the BMW is more comfortable, faster, sexier and most importantly a status symbol.
    http://forums.precentral.net/usercp.php
    Think about this though ... I work for VZW, but have a Sprint Pre (for now). I could sell the value of Sprint plans and services just as well as I can sell VZW, and in fact, I did ... they just didn't pay me as much

~Bowen
    $600 for a comparable GPS??? $300 for 3 years of updates???
    $900 total???

You can get a very good Garmin Nuvi (with traffic) for $130-$180 dollars and LIFETIME map updates cost $119.

That's about a $300 lifetime investment for a device you own and do not need a monthly service (with a phone carrier) to continue to use. It also does not require you to be within range of a cell tower (gps may work but you can't pull the data for the gps app w/o data coverage).

Man... if that wasn't a used car salesmen sales pitch... I don't know what is...

and 20% change nationally??? LMAO~ That's 1 in 5 roads.. nationally...
    You pulled that one straight out of your ~~~~
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 01/12/2010 at 11:23 AM.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    right, but sprint nav is actually then a good deal, as it doesn't cost extra (well, one is paying for it even if they don't use it then), but many people are happy w/ sprint plans even if they dont use it.
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    I can speak to what the Palm demo phones at CES were running.

The Verizon Pre Plus and Pixi Plus phones that they had at the tables for folks to play with with running 1.3.5.1 (I won't say ALL of them were but the Pixi Plus and the Pre
    Plus I picked up were. I'll assume they're all running the same).

However, the demo phones that they Palm guys had were different.

They had 2 DIFFERENT OS's (different from 1.3.5.1 and different from each other).

Hey said they were beta builds.

They didn't have numbers...just names (I looked at the Device Info screen and it was something like "Banana" or something...not a NUMBER...a WORD)

One was optimized for the 3D games and had all of those running on it. The other was optimized for the video shooting/editing.

I noticed that the Pre Plus that he was doing video editing on had a video playback app that ran in landscape (when he turned the LIST of videos, the screen rotated - 1.3.5.1 and prior does not rotate with the video list-view).

When I picked up one of his other demo phones to see this, that screen didn't rotate.

When I asked him about it, that's when he told me that they were running different beta builds.

Hope this helps fuel more arguments/speculation.

And yes, it was VERY cool to hang out in the Palm room at CES...they had some very funky furniture (and an open bar!)
    I would always assume that demo units from any company would be optimized one way or another for exactly that...demo purposes.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    i checked out the palm pre plus (and pixi plus too) @ CES. palm's booth was sooo well done and inviting. they even had free sushi, other food and drinks.

anyway... the palm pre plus was AMAZING. i got to play need for speed, and it was smooth as silk. the controls were great. it seemed to have plenty of RAM as it were.
    ...................................................................... yeah.
    eat hat yet ....................lololol

sorry just messin !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567