Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    http://forums.precentral.net/members...-plus-info.png

512 Confirmed, AGAIN ... I took this with Snipping Tool then used Paint to black out the name of the company I work for and to circle the section that has the Pre Plus specs ... sorry it's so tiny, but it's real.

After having some hands on time with the Pre Plus last night, I can say having 512 of RAM makes the UI much smoother and virtually eliminates the too many cards error ... it's VERY nice. Also, they removed the button on the face of the Pre but NOT the buttons functionality ... it's now a sensor instead of a button and if you tap it, it will drop the current card back or bring it back full screen (just like the button). Battery is the SAME BP1 my Sprint Pre has, same mah.

Sadly, the phones we demoed were crappy ... Keyboards that just stopped working for no reason (thats a new one, eh?) and frequent but random resets. I'm confident the launch day phones will be of a better quality, though.

VZ Navigator is sick on the Pre ... makes Sprint Nav look like crap. Just like all our other Smartphones, VZ Nav on the Pre is 9.99/mo for unlimited use. It's the only native "VZW" specific app on the phones.

Further notes on plan pricing, the Pre and Pixi will stay in line with all our Smartphone pricing (Droid, Eris, BB's, etc) 29.99/mo unlimited email and data, with tethering being an extra 30/mo with a 5gb allowance .05/mb overage charges.

No specific info on device pricing, but our reps said they should be "comparable" to what the current Pre and Pixi is for Sprint (150 for Pre 100 for Pixi, after rebate). More likely 200 for Pre, 150 for Pixi.

The Plus devices were running 1.3.5.1, so no early 1.4 for VZW. I asked my rep what he knew about homebrew, and he was clueless ... I wanted to, but didn't ask if I could try some tweaks (I wanted to see if LED Notifications still worked with the sensor). I think it should still work ... but that might just be optimism.

That's all I have for now.

~Bowen
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbowen1982 View Post

512 Confirmed, AGAIN ... I took this with Snipping Tool then used Paint to black out the name of the company I work for and to circle the section that has the Pre Plus specs ... sorry it's so tiny, but it's real.

After having some hands on time with the Pre Plus last night, I can say having 512 of RAM makes the UI much smoother and virtually eliminates the too many cards error ... it's VERY nice. Also, they removed the button on the face of the Pre but NOT the buttons functionality ... it's now a sensor instead of a button and if you tap it, it will drop the current card back or bring it back full screen (just like the button). Battery is the SAME BP1 my Sprint Pre has, same mah.

Sadly, the phones we demoed were crappy ... Keyboards that just stopped working for no reason (thats a new one, eh?) and frequent but random resets. I'm confident the launch day phones will be of a better quality, though.

VZ Navigator is sick on the Pre ... makes Sprint Nav look like crap. Just like all our other Smartphones, VZ Nav on the Pre is 9.99/mo for unlimited use. It's the only native "VZW" specific app on the phones.

Further notes on plan pricing, the Pre and Pixi will stay in line with all our Smartphone pricing (Droid, Eris, BB's, etc) 29.99/mo unlimited email and data, with tethering being an extra 30/mo with a 5gb allowance .05/mb overage charges.

No specific info on device pricing, but our reps said they should be "comparable" to what the current Pre and Pixi is for Sprint (150 for Pre 100 for Pixi, after rebate). More likely 200 for Pre, 150 for Pixi.

The Plus devices were running 1.3.5.1, so no early 1.4 for VZW. I asked my rep what he knew about homebrew, and he was clueless ... I wanted to, but didn't ask if I could try some tweaks (I wanted to see if LED Notifications still worked with the sensor). I think it should still work ... but that might just be optimism.

~Bowen
    sigh...... fine. you guys win (thanx for the info, im convinced now)

ill go stare at the wall bummed out knowing that Verizon got it....
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    Don't be upset, seriously...I can't think of a scenario, even playing NFS, where I have had memory problems or slowdowns. So far, it hasn't been a problem for me. It's probably for demoing since the average Verizon Pre buyer isn't going to know the difference or care what the internal RAM is. Most people find the phone to be as quick as any other as long as you keep the cards reasonable. Hell, my PC has an *** load of RAM and it still lags if I have too much going on even without games. If it's that important you can always switch...I always find ways to find cheap phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike20PR View Post
    sigh...... fine. you guys win (thanx for the info, im convinced now)

ill go stare at the wall bummed out knowing that Verizon got it....

~Bowen
    Actually, this is the closest thing to actual confirmation I have seen on this issue in the context of message boards....good reporting! Better than any press reporting which didn't clarify CES' ambiguity regarding this issue, in its presentation with that guy Rubenstein.
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    [url]http://forums.precentral.net/VZ Navigator is sick on the Pre ... makes Sprint Nav look like crap. Just like all our other Smartphones, VZ Nav on the Pre is 9.99/mo for unlimited use. It's the only native "VZW" specific app on the phones.

First of all, thanx for the information.

Second of all, Verizon does stuff exactly like this to charge the living crap out of its customers - and this is why I left them to get the Pre on Sprint. I seriously can't believe that people pay this much!! You're looking at $140 a month for 900 minutes, unlimited texting, "unlimited" data (that they'll charge you if you go over!?), the tethering option that sounds so nice, and VZ Navigator!!

I love that Sprint basically rolls everything in.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    If you live by 'the grass is always greener' mentality you'll never be truly satisfied. My Palm Pre is the best phone I've ever owned, in two years time I hope Palm are still around so I can upgrade to their latest handset. There is always something new around the corner.
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    there was someone at ces on saturday asking the rep while he was in the forums and posting pics at the same time . He asked the rep five different ways if the pre plus had 512 and the rep said yes yes yes. So I believe it does . The guy had no reason to lie .

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...?highlight=ces
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  8.    #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by egcbbc123 View Post
    Whom do you mean by "Palm Friend"? A tech, an advert, a security guard, janitor, suit, drunken intern?
    I call him my Palm friend, but he is really a DBA that I got in contact with about an issue and he has been my contact ever since. Never met the guy, but he is right on with most stuff.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    First of all, thanx for the information.

Second of all, Verizon does stuff exactly like this to charge the living crap out of its customers - and this is why I left them to get the Pre on Sprint. I seriously can't believe that people pay this much!! You're looking at $140 a month for 900 minutes, unlimited texting, "unlimited" data (that they'll charge you if you go over!?), the tethering option that sounds so nice, and VZ Navigator!!

I love that Sprint basically rolls everything in.
    You will have unlimited data on the device ... ONLY the tethering (which I forgot to mention is MiFi wireless style or bluetooth just like MyTether) will have overage charges IF you go over 5gb ...

So again to clarify
    - Browsing the web, downloading apps, downloading songs (AmazonMP3), YouTube app, etc. = UNLIMITED
    - Tethering your computer through wifi or bluetooth = 5gb allowance with .05/mb overage

AND imo the VZ Navigator is so bad ***, it's easily worth 9.99/mo ... I wouldn't pay for Sprint Nav, but I will pay for VZ Nav ... it's better than a $600 Garmin (which you have to pay 100/year for map updates). So you always have the most updated maps, 14 MILLION points of interest, voice turn by turn etc etc ... VZW 3g coverage = it will ALWAYS work (more or less) ... and it will be integrated into WebOS (launch from contact, etc). But thats just my opinion.

~Bowen

~Bowen
    I know you say it here, but are you 100% certain that the device you handled was running 1.3.5.1? I ask, because in watching the various videos I did notice a speed difference with the 1.4 device they used to demo video recording, but not so much the Pre Plus they demoed.

I'm hoping that Palm wasn't bluffing when they said 1.4 would bring speed and battery improvements...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I would never pay extra for GPS software when you can simply buy a GPS device. 9.99 a month is such a waste of money when there are so many applications like Google Maps to get directions. That's $120.00 + tax a year just to use a software.
    I used to work for RadioShack before getting pulled away by VZW ... And this is the truth- Your GPS unit needs to have its maps updated every 6-12 months. Road conditions change about 20% annually ... two-ways become one-ways, new roads are built others are removed. If you never update your GPS it will be pretty worthless in a few years. And yes, not every area will be affected by the 20% annual changes ... but I don't use GPS in the areas I know and live in, I use it when I travel to unknown places where accuracy is key.

I don't want this to sound like a sales pitch, but it breaks down like this-
    Sweet expensive GPS that compares to VZ Nav - 600 + 3yrs of updates (100x3) = $900.
    VZ Navigator - 3yrs billed 9.99/mo = $360

It would take 7 and 1/2 years of monthly billing to equal the 3 year cost of a high-end stand-alone GPS. Of course, you could get a cheaper model (lower initial cost) and not update your maps (bad idea) and it would cost much less ... but it wouldn't be comparable to VZ Nav at all.

VZW charges for this service because it's worth it, so they can *shrug* ... take it or leave it, I think VZ Nav rocks. Our plans are spendy, I know ... but a BMW costs more than a Volvo, even though they provide the same basic functions. But the BMW is more comfortable, faster, sexier and most importantly a status symbol.

Think about this though ... I work for VZW, but have a Sprint Pre (for now). I could sell the value of Sprint plans and services just as well as I can sell VZW, and in fact, I did ... they just didn't pay me as much

~Bowen
    I would never pay extra for GPS software when you can simply buy a GPS device. 9.99 a month is such a waste of money when there are so many applications like Google Maps to get directions. That's $120.00 + tax a year just to use a software.

You do not need to spend $600 a year for a very good GPS device either. My Garmin with turn-by-turn and traffic data cost me about $125.00
    I'm with you. The only way I could see paying monthly for GPS Navigation services would be if you used it several times a day a few days per week. But then at that point, I would get a standalone unit as the regular phone functions would inevitably interfere with using the navigator...
    I used to work for RadioShack before getting pulled away by VZW ... And this is the truth- Your GPS unit needs to have its maps updated every 6-12 months. Road conditions change about 20% annually ... two-ways become one-ways, new roads are built others are removed. If you never update your GPS it will be pretty worthless in a few years. And yes, not every area will be affected by the 20% annual changes ... but I don't use GPS in the areas I know and live in, I use it when I travel to unknown places where accuracy is key.

I don't want this to sound like a sales pitch, but it breaks down like this-
    Sweet expensive GPS that compares to VZ Nav - 600 + 3yrs of updates (100x3) = $900.
    VZ Navigator - 3yrs billed 9.99/mo = $360

It would take 7 and 1/2 years of monthly billing to equal the 3 year cost of a high-end stand-alone GPS. Of course, you could get a cheaper model (lower initial cost) and not update your maps (bad idea) and it would cost much less ... but it wouldn't be comparable to VZ Nav at all.

VZW charges for this service because it's worth it, so they can *shrug* ... take it or leave it, I think VZ Nav rocks. Our plans are spendy, I know ... but a BMW costs more than a Volvo, even though they provide the same basic functions. But the BMW is more comfortable, faster, sexier and most importantly a status symbol.

Think about this though ... I work for VZW, but have a Sprint Pre (for now). I could sell the value of Sprint plans and services just as well as I can sell VZW, and in fact, I did ... they just didn't pay me as much

~Bowen
    So now sell me on why it's worth it to pay a monthly charge to use nav on Verizon when it's included in the already cheaper plans on Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I know you say it here, but are you 100% certain that the device you handled was running 1.3.5.1? I ask, because in watching the various videos I did notice a speed difference with the 1.4 device they used to demo video recording, but not so much the Pre Plus they demoed.

I'm hoping that Palm wasn't bluffing when they said 1.4 would bring speed and battery improvements...
    ##786# does not lie my friend ... I would have taken pictures, but he wouldn't let me.

I noticed an improvement in IU ... not that programs opened faster, but that once opened they worked more smoothly ... less lag. The main advantage of the 512 is having more cards open, period.

I hope 1.4 has speed and battery improvements too ... I can't wait!

~Bowen
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    I'm with you. The only way I could see paying monthly for GPS Navigation services would be if you used it several times a day a few days per week. But then at that point, I would get a standalone unit as the regular phone functions would inevitably interfere with using the navigator...
    Precisely. Sprint Navigation is great, except for the fact that if a call comes in while you're on the phone and you miss a turn, Navi can't connect to the network to generate a new route. The same must hold true for Verizon's navigation since they're CDMA as well, unless the Verizon app downloads the maps to the phone.

???
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    So now sell me on why it's worth it to pay a monthly charge to use nav on Verizon when it's included in the already cheaper plans on Sprint.
    Honestly, Sprint Nav is great ... every time I needed directions, it never failed me. There were a few instances where it tried to make me go the wrong way (like trying to exit a parking lot from an entrance only roadway ... I almost crapped myself). But I use it and like it, especially for free ... I would not pay for it though.

VZ Nav is just a better service, and I say that having used and enjoyed both services. It's not a reason to switch from Sprint though.

~Bowen
    I didn't read through all of these but in case it hasn't been said: the main selling point of the Palm Pre is its multi-tasking ability and (as has been said) more RAM would make the phone run smoothly with more cards open. Wouldn't that be a logical move for Palm? To enhance the main selling point??
    You make it seem like these kind of charges happen often and they are drastic. I get free updates with the garmin. Not sure for how long but have never had a problem. Still would never pay a monthly fee for GPS. If Sprint GPS wasn't included I would never pay for it.
    Haven't worked for the shack for a couple years now, that's pretty sweet if they are including map updates for free now. Last I remember, most manufacturers had a yearly subscription type service that included free map and traffic updates for between 50-100/year.

Good to know they don't charge anymore, I'll stop spreading bad information now

~Bowen

EDIT: WOW .. just checked out Best Buys website ... apparently, you can get an awesome GPS for peanuts.
    Last edited by sirbowen1982; 01/11/2010 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Pooped himself

Internal (system) memory is NOT the same as storage space (think hard drive). i.e. A laptop with 4gb internal (system) memory and a 32gb solid state (flash) hardrive does NOT have 36gb of memory. It has 4gb RAM (internal system addressable memory) and 32gb storage space. They are two separate things.
    Haven't worked for the shack for a couple years now, that's pretty sweet if they are including map updates for free now. Last I remember, most manufacturers had a yearly subscription type service that included free map and traffic updates for between 50-100/year.

Good to know they don't charge anymore, I'll stop spreading bad information now

~Bowen

EDIT: WOW .. just checked out Best Buys website ... apparently, you can get an awesome GPS for peanuts.
    Yeah, the only thing they charge for now is like traffic updates and info like that. If you just want plain directions, it's a one-time purchase.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast