Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    We'll just have to wait and see
    After watching the video of Rubinstein, it has double the ram. Frankly, I have no problem with it at all. It shows me that Palm is progressing. The idea that they should wait because someone got the phone 6 months ago or even 2 days ago is ridiculous. Sprint will get another updated Pre at some point. Keep your chins up.
    Even if I wasn't convinced already, after playing these games for most of the day, I'll go so far as to guarantee that the Pre Plus has double the RAM.

I get "application has closed unexpectedly" all the time when background apps fire off (aka when Twee refreshes, when WootOn refreshes, when emails or IMs come in, etc.) My best guess is that they happen when the phone gets low on RAM. Quite simply, the demo they did up on stage would've been VERY risky if the device didn't have more RAM than the current Pre. I don't see them as leaving that much to chance.
    Even if it is actually 1.3.5.1 then it's not a stock OS as they have the video capabilities. What else has been "Demo" optimised.

Or there is the possibility that it's a later build (1.4) that's just been given a build number of 1.3.5.1 incase the pulled that 1.4 announce from the presentation for whatever reason. And then didn't want people seeing it on the demo units with that build number.

....ok I'm getting carried away here, but really I do believe that the Govenment has trained Birds working for them, Watching us and listening.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr71mb0 View Post
    Even if it is actually 1.3.5.1 then it's not a stock OS as they have the video capabilities. What else has been "Demo" optimised.

Or there is the possibility that it's a later build (1.4) that's just been given a build number of 1.3.5.1 incase the pulled that 1.4 announce from the presentation for whatever reason. And then didn't want people seeing it on the demo units with that build number.

....ok I'm getting carried away here, but really I do believe that the Govenment has trained Birds working for them, Watching us and listening.

A different device was used to demo video recording versus the device that was used to show the 3d gaming. 3d gaming is in 1.3.5, and video recording was shown on the 1.4 device.
    That Youtube link of the Video recording and then NFS was on the same device and looked like the pre plus.

I don't really see how more RAM would speed the device up unless it's running low on memory. Sure it should stay at optimum speed for longer with more cars open but just moving about the OS shouldn't be any quicker just through more RAM.

(perhaps they can tone down the background processes like trash collection etc..)
    Hey hey, he just stallin because you all didn't give him what he needs....
    *hands over BBQ sauce*
    This makes anything edible! Enjoy
  8.    #88  
    I had a thought too... what version of WebOs is the Verizon Pre running? 1.4 is likely and optimizing the Pre to do those things is what 1.4 is uh.. for.

As to the RAM thing. I received an emailed response from my Palm friend. It is definitely more RAM. I love a good controversy, and this has been fun. This is the final word on this.... any people who further doubt this are Global Warming Deniers... I mean uh... Double RAM deniers?
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Between this and the NFS vid, this is the most skeptical I have seen this community in awhile.
    Palm engineers on webosinternals chat have confirmed Pre Plus has 512MB RAM. That will mean more cards can be loaded but it doesn't necessarily mean higher performance for one app that is loaded. If an app is designed for the extra memory, then it will only run on Pre Plus. I'd be surprised if the API would allow that. The bottom line is that N4S runs great on a regular Pre. I think one thing that may beneift from more RAM is Flash.

What amazes me is that with Quake demo running in background, N4S still runs smooth.
    I was one of the skeptics on the upgraded RAM but there seems to be some proof that the Pre+ has more. That being said, there is nothing wrong with hardware being updated, people.

- Company comes out with a TV that is lit by LED's, higher resolution, higher refresh rate, that cost the same as last years model. And then...?
    - Company comes out with a computer with faster processor, more RAM, more hard drive, and cost LESS. And then...?
    - Company comes out with a car that has more horsepower than last years model for same price. And then...?
    - Palm comes out with an updated phone with more RAM. Forum goes into riot mode!!!
  12.    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post
    I was one of the skeptics on the upgraded RAM but there seems to be some proof that the Pre+ has more. That being said, there is nothing wrong with hardware being updated, people.

- Company comes out with a TV that is lit by LED's, higher resolution, higher refresh rate, that cost the same as last years model. And then...?
    - Company comes out with a computer with faster processor, more RAM, more hard drive, and cost LESS. And then...?
    - Company comes out with a car that has more horsepower than last years model for same price. And then...?
    - Palm comes out with an updated phone with more RAM. Forum goes into riot mode!!!
    It isn't that Palm updated, it's that they updated the Pre for Verizon and basically thumbed their noses at the Sprint users that propped up Palm in their time of need.

That, my friend, is the reason for the irritation, or as you called it "riot mode".
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

Here's the thing for me:

I would LOVE a pre plus, but I won't go to Verizon to get it. I am always wanting the newest, bestest hardware. Whatever, I just love newer hardware, and always wish I had it.

Its a GOOD sign that Palm is releasing an updated version of the Pre. It shows they aren't stagnant, and leads me to believe that an updated version of the Pre (or an updated Pre Plus) will be released for Sprint sometime this year, likely towards the summer when the Pre will be 1 year old..... and then I'll be up for an upgrade and I will be laughing at the Verizon Pre Plus which was released just 6 months before.....
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    This thread has definitely been an interesting read.

It truly looks like the Pre+ will have 512MB of RAM. Good! Like somebody else above said, this means that Palm is moving forward. And why on Earth do some of you think that you're being "shafted"?? You have had this awesome phone for months now! On a network that charges way less than Verizon! Who is getting SHAFTED!? I left Verizon to have this phone. I think the people on Verizon's network are getting shafted for spending almost a thousand dollars more over the life of their contract for a phone that does exactly what mine does.

And honestly the version of the OS that is on the phone really means nothing. I used to work for a company about the size of Palm - it's great when you have special needs (like a fully optimized Pre for exactly what you want to show) and you can make that request and deliver on it. Seriously - Palm can do whatever the heck they want to the phones they use at a show. The OS version has very little to do with anything. I mean, are you telling me that the Flash video we saw from Adobe months ago was running webOS 1.3.5.1 - cuz that's what WE will need to run the beta!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    It isn't that Palm updated, it's that they updated the Pre for Verizon and basically thumbed their noses at the Sprint users that propped up Palm in their time of need.

That, my friend, is the reason for the irritation, or as you called it "riot mode".
    But its still an updated product. Yes it only has the "Plus" moniker on it, but its in the same sense as the Treo 700w (Verizon) to 700wx (Sprint) transition.

I, for one, truly feel that there would be more ruckus if the Plus came out for Sprint also, since many will feel that the Pre (original) had only a 6 month life cycle with Sprint.
    To be competitive on verizon they really needed to upgrade the specs a hair. Why would I get the pre over the droid, with all things being equal. I'm sorry some of you guys are feeling out in the cold.. but welcome to the computer age. And listen palms not really leaving you in the cold... buy a samsung phone and then never get an OS or Firmware update and we'll talk about being left in the cold.
    Its a dog eat dog world out there. Sprint has been a partner for a while.
    Sadly, and I like Sprint, they have a huge cash problem right now.
    Products are updated all the time, is Canon dissing a camera buyer when they buy a 780 and a 790 comes out 1 month later?
    Maybe this should be a separate thread, but what are your thoughts on the perceived speed increase being due to the CPU being "unthrottled".

We have the speed tweaks through homebrew, but maybe Palm is boosting the CPU a tiny bit with WebOS 1.4. I realize that the demo units were supposedly running 1.3.5.1, but you never know.

If the CPU is sped up, that would mean more battery usage but maybe they have a larger battery to go along with the update that may be available to us later. Just a thought.

Sony did this with the PSP. They purposely stepped down the CPU until they came out with their higher capacity batteries after a year or so after release.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    Its a dog eat dog world out there. Sprint has been a partner for a while.
    Sadly, and I like Sprint, they have a huge cash problem right now.
    Products are updated all the time, is Canon dissing a camera buyer when they buy a 780 and a 790 comes out 1 month later?
    My guess is that things will look different come summer/fall when Sprint gets their 4G phones out.

The real concern if you're a Sprint fan though is them missing out on the Nexus or iphone when both will (or may have in iphone's case) cdma chips. Hopefully, its more Sprint wanting 4G models that's the holdup and that they're working on it.
    Whom do you mean by "Palm Friend"? A tech, an advert, a security guard, janitor, suit, drunken intern?

Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    I had a thought too... what version of WebOs is the Verizon Pre running? 1.4 is likely and optimizing the Pre to do those things is what 1.4 is uh.. for.

As to the RAM thing. I received an emailed response from my Palm friend. It is definitely more RAM. I love a good controversy, and this has been fun. This is the final word on this.... any people who further doubt this are Global Warming Deniers... I mean uh... Double RAM deniers?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast