Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    On the blog from Palm (The Official Palm Blog: Palm unveils new phones, new carriers, developer programs, and video capabilities at CES)

they state that this app will be for Verizon Wirless Customers only. That, along with the Pre + and the Pixi Plus makes me feel that Palm is slapping the early adopters of the Pre on Sprint in the face. I can live with the hardware stuff, hopefully Sprint will get them later on. But for the app, this would put myTether out of business lol. What do you think?
    Palm m100>Palm m130>Sony Clie>HP Jornada 525>Dell Axim X3i>Nokia 3395>Nokia 6630>Motorola i530>PPC 6700>Mogul (PPC-6800)

Palm Pre!
    I think the 512 RAM (vs 256 RAM) is a bigger issue (for me).

That is going to make a huge difference in performance.

Also, I'm sure Verizon will be charging for the hot spot App/data usage in some manner.
    Probably a monthly charge.
    We shouldn't assume the limitation was set by Palm alone. I'm sure the carriers have some say in whether they want a mobile hotspot app available for the Pre/Pixi.

Sprint has their own mobile Wifi hotspot devices that they market heavily.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    Is the added RAM for the Pre Plus official? I didn't read anything about that.
    Sprint used to have tethering for other phones for about $30-40/month. Verizon will likely charge that much or more. You can do it unofficially for free on Sprint today anyway on a Pre.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts

That is going to make a huge difference in performance.

Also, I'm sure Verizon will be charging for the hot spot App/data usage in some manner.
    Probably a monthly charge.
    Probably. Double the RAM, + GPU optimization would be killer. Gosh, I wanna kick myself for having this 1st Gen pre now lol
    Palm m100>Palm m130>Sony Clie>HP Jornada 525>Dell Axim X3i>Nokia 3395>Nokia 6630>Motorola i530>PPC 6700>Mogul (PPC-6800)

Palm Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite View Post
    Sprint used to have tethering for other phones for about $30-40/month. Verizon will likely charge that much or more. You can do it unofficially for free on Sprint today anyway on a Pre.
    Agreed. Verizon is definitely charging extra for that feature. From the Pre Plus's spec page: "3G Mobile Hotspot is a separately purchased feature added to a voice and data plan."
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite View Post
    Last I checked, myTether was still having issues with 1.3.5. With 1.4 coming, I wouldn't even bother trying to get it to work now.

Palm Pre!
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Sprint has their everything plans, unlike verizon who charges separate for voice + data. With that said, I wouldn't mind paying a small fee a month for official tethering from Sprint.

Palm Pre!
    Tethering on Verizon is an extra $30 a month.
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post
    We shouldn't assume the limitation was set by Palm alone. I'm sure the carriers have some say in whether they want a mobile hotspot app available for the Pre/Pixi.

Sprint has their own mobile Wifi hotspot devices that they market heavily.
    So does Verizon. They both offer the identical MiFi hotspot.
    512mb??
    where are you guys getting this information? I followed the ces and they said nothing about 512mb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nismode View Post
    Last I checked, myTether was still having issues with 1.3.5. With 1.4 coming, I wouldn't even bother trying to get it to work now.
    It is and since all of the issues from 1.3.1 arose (29 days and counting), the dev has not been seen on his own forums/site.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    It is and since all of the issues from 1.3.1 arose (29 days and counting), the dev has not been seen on his own forums/site.
    #shady

Which is why I pity anyone who made a "donation" for his app. It is borderline criminal. With the app catalog, Palm takes 30%, so there is still a profit margin for going that route. But accepting payment for an app and not even being there to support it when **** hits the fan is unacceptable.

At the rate Palm is updating, I sense webOS 2.0 will be here before the end of the 2nd quarter.

Palm Pre!
    So now i'm feeling the envy of being an early adopter....o well, thats what we get :-P still love the pre as is.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    I'm happy to have been a 1st gen Pre-owner but it would have been nice to get something for it from Sprint and Palm, but guess if it's not going to be profitable for either then it's not going to happen.

I just hope Pre and Sprint didn't have some tiff over WebOS and now Palm has decided to move it's WebOS focus to Vrz. That would suck big for all of us 1st gens looking for the next WebOS phone on Sprint.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gruppe3942 View Post
    512mb??
    where are you guys getting this information? I followed the ces and they said nothing about 512mb.
    I guess people are hoping for it. We will have to wait until closer to the 25th to know for sure.

Palm Pre!
    So does Verizon. They both offer the identical MiFi hotspot.
    Oh, I didn't know VZ had their own too. But like others are saying, VZ quite possibly will charge for this feature. If VZ was giving this for free when they also.sell hotspots, then we have all reason to be upset.
  19. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    512mb??
    In the live blog it was mentioned, double the storage (16GB) and double the RAM:

Code:
    dieterbohn: 
    pre plus
    Thursday January 7, 2010 11:40 dieterbohn
    11:40

dieterbohn: 
    no center button - woot!

dieterbohn: 
    bye bye center button

dieterbohn: 
    16 gigs of memory

dieterbohn: 
    doubled internal memory

dieterbohn: 
    More RAM, in other words
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
    512mb??
    Quote Originally Posted by Nismode View Post
    I guess people are hoping for it. We will have to wait until closer to the 25th to know for sure.
    It was a bullet point in the presentation and confirmed by webOS internals.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast