Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I use the button, too. The up swiping is really annoying, especially if the Pre is feeling laggy, I end up swiping up constantly unsure if it registered. Plus, the damned thing often interprets my up swipes as back swipes and my back swipes as up swipes, notifications or links are often registered instead, all of which has rather turned me off using the gesture area completely. My thumb is just right there...easier just to press down. I won't cry about it, but, I'm glad my Pre has the button.
    I actually found a purpose for the Center button that I learned in the WebOS Bible book available in the app catalog.

If you select an app to run, it usually take a few seconds to launch.

But if you hit the Center button, it launches immediately no delay!

Does everyone know that tip?

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    I had my Pre's screen broken recently for no obvious reason. I found other people reported the same problem. It looks like spider net with center in "center key".

My guess that removing center key has also some mechanical problems in the background.

ps. I wished I could re-map center key to some quick-dialer with photos. It's is still a phone I need to use it as a phone very frequently.

Kreso
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic-NKT View Post
    i dont get it either...
    i think the button is great to minimize apps. With just the touch area i would do that without purpose to often i think.
    I leave a lot of cards open -- and would be lost without the button to minimize them.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FesterTreo View Post
    Guys.. the front button was replaced by the LED strip on that they use on the pixi. Watch the engadget video. You can still get the LED blink + use it to switch cards.
    At least someone understands that Palm didn't remove the button. Folks, the mechanical button has been replaced by a capacitive touch button. It's still there, with LED light as well. You use it the same way as before. It's just aesthetically more appealing for some.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    At least someone understands that Palm didn't remove the button. Folks, the mechanical button has been replaced by a capacitive touch button. It's still there, with LED light as well. You use it the same way as before. It's just aesthetically more appealing for some.
    exactly...go play with the pixi. you can have your LED still, and have an easier time doing a full swipe....
    on that note, when will sprint get a pre without the center button...forget more storage, I want that button gone!
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I use the button too but yes I would gladly exchange it for another 256MB of RAM. Mistaking the use of the button for turning the phone screen on is also one huge pain in the ***** - damn old iPhone for getting me use to that
    Quote Originally Posted by teiresias View Post
    How do you find it useful? I've never used the thing.

As a matter of fact, I'm still annoyed that they don't let you remove the Launcher icon from the Quick Launch bar. I never use that either, there's absolutely no need for it with the gestures the device supports and I would much rather use that spot for an app rather than the useless Launcher icon.
    this.

I wouldn't mind the button if I could do MORE with it. but as it stands, it's useless for me. It can't even wake up the screen (aside from patching I think, but I don't want to have to do that).
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    I didnt use it at first, but now I use the nipple all the time for phone functions and also to tell which side is up on this sleek phone.

I'm not complaining that it's gone, but I'd prefer they added more functions to it rather than taking it away. I absolutely hate this "No Buttons" garbage that Jobs got the world to support.
    Did you call it a nipple. That's awesome. So here's another useful purpose. You won't be able to suckle the palm pre +.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    The only use for the button: it gives me a wider angle to see that the LED is blinking when I have a message. If I'm sitting down and the phone is on a table across the room, I might not have a good angle to see an LED blinking flat on the surface. The bump allows me to see the light.

Swipe up does the same thing as the button, so there is no need for the button at all otherwise.
    Last edited by LurkerX; 01/07/2010 at 10:39 PM.
    It would be way more useful as a rollerball, push to select, to edit text without two fingers
  13. o14
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    The only use for the button: it gives me a wider angle to see that the LED is blinking when I have a message. If I'm sitting down and the phone is on a table across the room, I might not have a good angle to see an LED blinking flat on the surface. The bump allows me to see the light.
    Might sound odd, but this is extremely useful. If you're like me and you leave your phone on a table somewhere and then go take a seat elsewhere in the room, then the button is useful to make sure you can always see the LED go off when you receive/miss anything.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I like my button. I can live without it, but I use it to minimize apps all the time.
    I like the button. The swipe up is a real pain when using contacts. It usually just scrolls the contacts and does not minimise the screen.
    I use it a lot - I could survive without it, but it IS useful.

I guess I could drive my car without side view mirrors, too, but I find them useful.

To each his own.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Another button fan here. easier than swiping for minimizing, imho. And sometimes it's easy to pick up the phone upside down. The button tells me where the bottom is. Maybe it's just me, but I would miss it.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    I haven't heard anyone say this but I think that you can just tap on the center of the gesture area in the pre plus like you tap the button in the current pre. In other words, you don't need to swipe up.

So the gesture area in the pre plus is more advanced than the gesture area in the current pre (since you can't tap the gesture area in the current pre and have the cards minimize).

Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    I use it a lot - I could survive without it, but it IS useful.

I guess I could drive my car without side view mirrors, too, but I find them useful.

To each his own.
    Last edited by rishio; 01/07/2010 at 11:36 PM.
    Rishi O.
    THE FUNCTION OF THE BUTTON IS STILL THERE! It's just the Pixi implementation
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    It would be way more useful as a rollerball, push to select, to edit text without two fingers
    +1 I still find myself trying to select text by clicking it. Treo habits die hard! lol
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast