Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    In the past, I have repeatedly said that Palm needed to add native development support.

So the best thing is the PDK being released in March, it will allow iPhone devs who're used to developing in Objective-C an easy way to bring their apps over to WebOS, by converting their code to standard C/C++ code.

I believe that's how EA was able to create versions of their games so quickly. And there's so many other things that devs would be able to do here, besides just games,,,
    It should be good for more than just games. There is a lot of C++ code out there that could be ported.
    This is VERY VERY good news.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    Best news of the day. Agree that this is not just great for games.
    Yeah this is a big deal.. that really opens up the full potential of the phone. Good job for palm.
    I'm tech lite, so help me out here...

Does this mean that developers can finally get access to the camera, better sound APIs, the GPU, and the microphone for their apps?
    Thats what they are saying yea
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I'm tech lite, so help me out here...

Does this mean that developers can finally get access to the camera, better sound APIs, the GPU, and the microphone for their apps?
    Essentially. Plus the apps will (theoretically) run faster and be able to be more complex than current apps (though people have been able to do some rather amazing stuff with javascript).
    It basically means you can run in Linux to do whatever the hell you want, and then display that fullscreen. Or, you can run in Linux to do whatever you want, and then just have an HTML app on top of that to display the data you're doing in the background.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Another issue is that JavaScript code is out there, any user who buys the app can look at your code. Heck, you see all these apps that "expire", well I can "fix" any of them by simply editing text JSJSJS $files$.

But with C/C++ code is compiled and not viewable or easily decompilable. Devs love that. Plus of course it runs faster and there's a lot of code already out there that can be ported to WebOS...
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    For me the biggest problem with javascript is that its single threaded. Now with the PDK, they should be able to make multi-threaded apps, which will at least make the apps feel more responsive.
    Yep, it's clear now why Docs to go was delayed.
    Looks like my bet was dead-on:
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    My guess is #1 will come in the form of how they already are doing native apps: browser plugins. This would let you develop "hybrid" apps, where the existing Mojo framework can be used for presentation and the heavy lifting could be done in a hidden plugin. If I were a betting man, I would say that Classic and Documents To Go are being used as guinea pigs for the native SDK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Brain_ReCall, I would like to one-up you, Sir. Here's what I posted on 10/19:

Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    1) Add native application development and support to Mojo. Applications that can be developed in either Java or C, and which can be called via the Mojo JSJSJS $Framework$ ($example$, $the$ $WebOS$ $Internals$ $Terminal$ $App$ $which$ $hacks$ $as$ $a$ $browser$ $plugin$ $I$ $believe$).

2) Supply a tool to convert / run iPhone OS applications (especially games) in WebOS. This could be developer tool that goes through code and suggest / updates to iPhone OS SDK calls to WebOS versions of the same; or a wrapper that allows iPhone OS apps to run within, doing a runtime conversion.
    As for the second point, check how in the App Catalog the 3D games descriptions say "iPhone"... meaning not only did they convert their iPhone-coded games to WebOS, they also used the descriptions from their AppStore listings.
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    Brain_ReCall, I would like to one-up you, Sir.
    High-fives all around!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    So does this mean VNC will be a breeze?

I really need this app.
    http://forums.precentral.net/general...ml#post1811842

Since we're all measuring here, I beat you both in August :
    I have a feeling this is going to be how Palm is going to move forward in the future, honestly. I'm not really convinced that there will be a 'native SDK' like people think there will be, but instead it'll continue with the current Javascript/CSS/HTML implementation, but instead have a 3D/OpenGL browser plugin
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    I thought of it first. Or as the little lemur from Madagascar said, "I like them first. Even before I met them I liked them...". lol.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    http://forums.precentral.net/general...ml#post1811842

Since we're all measuring here, I beat you both in August :
    haha, nice prediction!

@haydur: rofl... I actually remember that line.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Damn right, suck it haters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast