1.    #1  
    Good day Palm fans,

I work for a Verizon Wireless Premium Retailer. I've been a Palm fan forever, and I've been using the Pre (and catching hell about it from my coworkers) since September.

Now the time has come for Big Red to start carrying Palm WebOS devices, and our "smartphone and data" guy Mike is coming up Sunday to introduce us to the Pre and Pixi. My manager has asked me to help Mike out with my own presentation on the Pre.

Here is my challenge - my coworkers are all hardcore BlackBerry users (or have jumped aboard the good ship Android) ... in fact, the owner of the company repremanded me for sending out an informational email about the "Why Palm? What is WebOS?" training that was available in our online training (yep, it was real and SWEET). These guys HATE Palm, and for good reason ... we haven't seen a new Palm device since the Centro and we get nothing but continuous customer service issues for these devices.

With all the possible subjects I could talk about, it becomes too much ... my presentation could go for a few hours and it still wouldn't contain everything my Pre can do or even come close to outlining the possiblities of the WebOS ... soooo

What would you talk about? What's the MOST IMPORTANT feature of your Pre? What can't you do without? I'd like to keep this presentation under an hour (between 30-45min). I don't want to miss anything huge, but I can't spend all day talking about my Pre (I could ... but they wouldn't let me).

Some things I'm looking for (please note I haven't used search for this info yet, I'm looking for YOUR oppinion)-
    1. Synergy - anybody have a list of the best services that are compatible?
    2. Homebrew - which apps/patchs/services NEED to be talked about, which can be left out?
    3. Shortcuts - I use universal search for just about everything ... but I know there are lots of shortcuts I don't use. Which ones do you use most?

Please feel free to put up anything you feel I should talk about. I can't wait to make these fools eat crow for making fun of the little guy (Palm), and thank you in advance for helping me do it!

~Bowen
    Honestly just showing the cards interface with multitasking and notifications should already make most people eyes pretty wide.

Not sure if you want to show Homebrew at a Verizon-based presentation, but Synergy is definitely big. How about you run through a work day and show how webOS makes it so easy to mulit-task and get things done.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by thermodynamic View Post
    Not sure if you want to show Homebrew at a Verizon-based presentation...
    Rumor around the web is that Best Buy loads Preware on Pre's and Pixi's before they go out the door, and I plan to do the same ... I loved my stock Pre but Homebrew can NOT be ignored when talking about WebOS, Preware can only increase the customers satisfaction in Palm.

Thanks for the reply!

~Bowen

P.S.- We are a Premium Retailer, and can get away with some things a corporate store couldn't do.
    def show off the multitasking abilities.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    DEFINITELY a key point is the AMAZINGLY simple multitasking!!! Android claims it but it is NOT true multitasking!!!

Also, the ease of use for the gestures, the swiping, the switching, the app-closing...it is SOOOO much slicker than any other phone. On VZW, the two "Plus" Palms don't even have the 'center' buttons so it's all about the 'clean swoosh' -how much more 'Verizon' can the phones be?!?!?! haha

Lastly, like previously mentioned, you canNOT leave out the Homebrew community! Unlike the other OS's, Palm SUPPORTS it! They even gave it shout-outs & screen time in the CES presentation!!!!!
    Multitasking, Synergy, NOTIFICATIONS, customizability/homebrew, web browsing (esp with multitouch zooming) and if I were on verizon i would love the wifi hotspot piece, too.

good luck!
    Like the others said, Multitasking is the #1 most useful and flashy aspect of WebOS (or any mobile device). I'd also go with the homebrew stuff for those who switched over to android, and don't forget to mention speed of the browser.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for all the replies, I now have a really good outline of topics to cover (should Mike leave something out). I wouldn't have thought to talk about the notification system (which is one of my favorite features lol).

AND it looks like we are going to get hands-on time with the new Pre Plus ... SIX of them to be exact.

I'm going to try and get Preware installed on one (if Mike doesn't freak out), use terminal to check the amount of RAM (I'm hoping for 512) and see if the LED Notifications patch still functions without the button. I'll also make sure to find out which version of WebOS these demo devices have (I'm betting on 1.3.5.1).

I can't wait to play with a Pre Plus, and I'll be sure to come back here and let you all know what's up.

~Bowen

EDIT: I don't think I'm going to try installing Preware on a Pre Plus ... I wouldn't want to bork a Pre Plus before they're even available to the public ... but I'll ask about the RAM and take some pics for you guys. Maybe I'll do a side by side ... my Sprint Pre against the Pre Plus going head to head, card for card, and see how many more (if any) the Plus is capable of having open.
    Last edited by sirbowen1982; 01/10/2010 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Thought about it a little more.
    I would highlight homebrew as web and beta apps through the Palm feed, not through web-internals and I would not install for them. If someone installs patches and themes, updates their pre and it breaks all over the place, are you going to fix it for them?

As others have said multitasking is a big one. However, I would show off 3D gaming and how apps can talk together. Why? Because no other phone on the Verizon network can do the same. Droid has the horse power for games, but as far as I know, no one has developed stuff like that for it.

I would definitely highlight the notification bar, to me that is the one thing I would miss most about WebOS. It is so useful. Show that it even works while playing one of the new games. I was very impressed at CES when they showed that games went into card view and auto paused and allowed you to do other things. Not even the all mighty iphone can do that.

Highlight full Google voice capability. And show off the browser. Hell, do a speed test between Droid and the Pre+. Maybe even include a iPhone 3GS.

I might also touch on the mobile hot spot ability. That is freaking sweet and is invaluable for people who travel a lot and it is only on Verizon.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  10.    #10  
    I posted this in another thread, but I wanted to update my thread as well. They wouldn't let me take pictures, but my rep told me the spec sheet on Infocenter listed 512 of RAM ... so here you are!

http://forums.precentral.net/members...-plus-info.png

512 Confirmed, AGAIN ... I took this with Snipping Tool then used Paint to black out the name of the company I work for and to circle the section that has the Pre Plus specs ... sorry it's so tiny, but it's real.

After having some hands on time with the Pre Plus last night, I can say having 512 of RAM makes the UI much smoother and virtually eliminates the too many cards error ... it's VERY nice. Also, they removed the button on the face of the Pre but NOT the buttons functionality ... it's now a sensor instead of a button and if you tap it, it will drop the current card back or bring it back full screen (just like the button). Battery is the SAME BP1 my Sprint Pre has, same mah.

Sadly, the phones we demoed were crappy ... Keyboards that just stopped working for no reason (thats a new one, eh?) and frequent but random resets. I'm confident the launch day phones will be of a better quality, though.

VZ Navigator is sick on the Pre ... makes Sprint Nav look like crap. Just like all our other Smartphones, VZ Nav on the Pre is 9.99/mo for unlimited use. It's the only native "VZW" specific app on the phones.

Further notes on plan pricing, the Pre and Pixi will stay in line with all our Smartphone pricing (Droid, Eris, BB's, etc) 29.99/mo unlimited email and data, with tethering (MiFi style wireless) being an extra 30/mo with a 5gb allowance .05/mb overage charges.

No specific info on device pricing, but our reps said they should be "comparable" to what the current Pre and Pixi is for Sprint (150 for Pre 100 for Pixi, after rebate). More likely 200 for Pre, 150 for Pixi.

The Plus devices were running 1.3.5.1, so no early 1.4 for VZW. I asked my rep what he knew about homebrew, and he was clueless ... I wanted to, but didn't ask if I could try some tweaks (I wanted to see if LED Notifications still worked with the sensor). I think it should still work ... but that might just be optimism.

That's all I have for now.

~Bowen
    Hey brother, your link doesn't work.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  12.    #12  
    Sorry ... don't know what happened there.

http://forums.precentral.net/members...-plus-info.png

~Bowen
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbowen1982 View Post
    What would you talk about? What's the MOST IMPORTANT feature of your Pre? What can't you do without? I'd like to keep this presentation under an hour (between 30-45min). I don't want to miss anything huge, but I can't spend all day talking about my Pre (I could ... but they wouldn't let me).

Some things I'm looking for (please note I haven't used search for this info yet, I'm looking for YOUR oppinion)-
    1. Synergy - anybody have a list of the best services that are compatible?
    2. Homebrew - which apps/patchs/services NEED to be talked about, which can be left out?
    3. Shortcuts - I use universal search for just about everything ... but I know there are lots of shortcuts I don't use. Which ones do you use most?
    Personally, I wouldn't talk about those things. Instead, I'd come up with a "day in the life of" using a Pre scenario. Here's an example:

On Saturday:
    • Went to my grandson's basketball game. Used SprintNav (obvsiouly, you'd want either Google Maps or whatever Verizon offers) to locate the school. The navigation led us there.
    • While driving there, listened to some of my favorite weird "oldies" on Pandora over the car's stero system using BT (we also got the nav instructions over the radio)
    • After the game, used GoodFood to find a nearby place to grab lunch.
    • On the way home, my wife and I decided to go see Avitar, which we put off from Thursday. Unfortunately, Flixster told us that the next showing at our regular movie wasn't until 5:30, that would interfere with our plans later. Fortunately, Flixster also told us that another theatre on the way was starting in 30 minutes, we could make that one.
    • After the movie was over, we had already planned on meeting my brother for dinner. We didn't bother checking to see if the resturant had open tables (there's an app for that), because Saturday was the play off game with Dallas, we knew there'd be room. However, we did keep up with the score using the NFL App ... (oops, that's Sprint, don't do that one...)
    • I actually took a few phone calls on it during the day as well.

Obviously, a couple of these are Sprint only apps, but I think you get the idea.

I'd show how the device can be used rather than focus on features. Then I'd mention the "extras" (homebrew, synergy, etc) to tie in how it makes it usable.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't talk about those things. Instead, I'd come up with a "day in the life of" using a Pre scenario. Here's an example:

On Saturday:
    • Went to my grandson's basketball game. Used SprintNav (obvsiouly, you'd want either Google Maps or whatever Verizon offers) to locate the school. The navigation led us there.
    • While driving there, listened to some of my favorite weird "oldies" on Pandora over the car's stero system using BT (we also got the nav instructions over the radio)
    • After the game, used GoodFood to find a nearby place to grab lunch.
    • On the way home, my wife and I decided to go see Avitar, which we put off from Thursday. Unfortunately, Flixster told us that the next showing at our regular movie wasn't until 5:30, that would interfere with our plans later. Fortunately, Flixster also told us that another theatre on the way was starting in 30 minutes, we could make that one.
    • After the movie was over, we had already planned on meeting my brother for dinner. We didn't bother checking to see if the resturant had open tables (there's an app for that), because Saturday was the play off game with Dallas, we knew there'd be room. However, we did keep up with the score using the NFL App ... (oops, that's Sprint, don't do that one...)
    • I actually took a few phone calls on it during the day as well.

Obviously, a couple of these are Sprint only apps, but I think you get the idea.

I'd show how the device can be used rather than focus on features. Then I'd mention the "extras" (homebrew, synergy, etc) to tie in how it makes it usable.
    Thanks for the reply ... the presentation was last night, lol. It went very well! I was able to fill in all the spots where our data guy missed something, and I had the chance to talk (after the main presentation) about my favorite things about the Pre ... also some tips and tricks.

Check out my post above for the summary of my hands on Pre Plus experience.

~Bowen
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    The most important thing that Sprint did not tell me was the Universal search. Show them that you can just start typing for ANYTHING....people, google search, websites, installed apps, twitter, etc.

I think this is the single most useful task that webOS does better than anyone else. And I didnt know about it until I listened to a palmcast.

EDIT:::sorry, multitasking is the most important. but this is too
    Last edited by piaband; 01/11/2010 at 03:44 PM.
    I can't get the universal search to search my contact info other than the name fields. If I search for a street name or city, it doesn't find anything? Any ideas on this.

One of my favorite things about the palm for 15 years is the "find" feature where I didn't have to know whether my data would be in contacts, memo's or calendar, it would find it. Now this simply doesn't work. It won't find anything in Memo's unless I go to Memos and then search?

Help???