Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789
Results 161 to 172 of 172
  1. abid786's Avatar
    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    #161  
    I want the iPhone because the pre doesnt have enough fart apps.
  2. #162  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    OK SG, I'm impressed you manned-up, but I'm going to pick on you a little more (just because I suspect you're somewhat typical of the other SG's out there).

    So, you weren't really eligible for an upgrade until 4/10 (three more months away). You got your wife the Pixi in mid-November. You were still holding out, because you wanted to "figure out how to get it cheap". You apparently figured out a way (I know, assumption on my part, but to gotta have a few assumptions).

    So, you probably badgered a Sprint rep or a Best Buy salesperson into giving you an upgrade right away (no offense meant, I badgered a BB guy into giving my wife the $29 "new user" price). I'm guessing you paid $49 each for the Pixi's (granted, you may have paid more, but you might have paid less, we got my wife's for $29).

    Look at the other side of things. I paid $200 for my Pre, $300 up front and had to wait on the other $100 to come back to me. So, for my quadruple the price of your Pixi, I get the WiFi, bigger screen, slightly faster CPU, and the ability to upgrade a little sooner.

    Let's face it, there are advantages and disadvantages to being an early adopter. You can buy into the fun, and you'll pay a little more. You can play it safe, but you'll miss out on some of the fun.

    Now, I think you sound like a pretty allright guy. Seriously, anyone that can post this:

    can't be half bad; but you need to get happy with what you've got. There's a ton of stuff you can do with that device. Do it, learn it. When you're next eligible, you might even want to wait just a few weeks to see "what's out there".

    Side note, that's what my wife did, she didn't want to jump at the Pre, and thus got a device that suits her better for $170 less. However, she's going to look closer at the new games, and decide if she wants to take the Pixi back and pay the other $70 to get a Pre. Even at that, she paid $100 less than I.

    Hope you see my point (and I really mean it about the "cloud" post, awsome job of 'fessing up...)
    Lol, this was a rather enjoyable post.

    Has anyone ever got an in-contract upgrade without badgering?

    I didn't get a great deal on the phones. I actually used the wife as a guinea pig to decide whether I wanted a Pre or Pixi. Coming from a Centro, I knew she would be welcome to the Pixi. I managed to get a upgrade on her line for $99 (after mail-in rebate). For mine, the rep literally said, "Go to Best Buy and get it for $99 as I'll be unable to match that price on your line and you will get the rebate instantly."

    So, on a weekend trip to Vegas, a Best Buy mobile rep gave me mine for $99 with no questions. They wouldn't match the Best Buy Mobile stores pricing of $25. I found that it differs from manager to manager on the matching. I was so eager to get the phone I just bit and bought it.

    Now that I've had a bit of time to chew on the CES Keynote, I'm not as angry about all of the news. I just had high hopes for CES and was upset to hear that the Pixi wouldn't be seeing some of the same features as the Pre. I am, however, still questioning Palm's thought process on releasing a superior Pixi so close to the release of the first one.

    The clouds are a rather funny story, it wasn't until I was outside in the dark activating the phone in the car (I had driven in to 3G) and realized what they were. I looked at my wife and just laughed hysterically, she made fun of me the whole way home .

    Also, I have homebrewed my Pixi and am enjoying that. With the exception of the last theme that left some trailings but seem not to be effecting upgrades or performance.
  3. #163  
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy7 View Post
    I am, however, still questioning Palm's thought process on releasing a superior Pixi so close to the release of the first one.
    I think it's a huge mistake to assume that the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus were specifically Palm's idea. I believe (to an almost 100% certainty) that Verizon demanded these changes, and that Palm wasn't about to turn them down.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  4. #164  
    Quote Originally Posted by madcow706 View Post
    Don't have any old phones. Sold them. Really though, I don't have to explain to you what problems I am going through with my phones. I also have the right to complain as much or as little as I want.
    Absoultely. And those of us that see the silliness have a similar "right"...

    Quote Originally Posted by madcow706 View Post
    ... because I knew what Palm was capable of, and how far back they have fallen with the Pre.
    Guess we disagree on this one. I saw the old Palm (and yes, I've had Palm/Palm OS devices for well over a decade now) slowly degenerate into a "several years ago" technology company. The Pre is light years away.

    However, I'll make an offer to you. I have a Centro (the latest PalmOS device offered by Palm) and a Treo 755p, both sitting unused. If you were happier with your old phone(s), and have sold them, I have a solution for you:

    I'll trade either a 755P or a Centro for you Pre.
  5. #165  
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy7 View Post
    Lol, this was a rather enjoyable post.

    Has anyone ever got an in-contract upgrade without badgering?
    Certainly not I. But I gotta say, you need lessons on it! My wife got her Pixi for $29
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy7 View Post
    ...
    So, on a weekend trip to Vegas, a Best Buy mobile rep gave me mine for $99 with no questions. They wouldn't match the Best Buy Mobile stores pricing of $25. I found that it differs from manager to manager on the matching. I was so eager to get the phone I just bit and bought it.
    That it does. I pretty much made the rounds of area BBs until one I had already been to finally decided to give me the deal. Probably got tired of me coming around, but I was always polite, and always made it clear I wasn't buying until I got the price match. Then proved it by leaving when they declined.

    Truth be told, I probably spent more than $70 ($99 marked vs $29 paid) in time and trouble (I bill pretty high for hourly work), but it was the fun of the chase, and my wife wasn't in a hurry.
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy7 View Post
    ...
    The clouds are a rather funny story, it wasn't until I was outside in the dark activating the phone in the car (I had driven in to 3G) and realized what they were. I looked at my wife and just laughed hysterically, she made fun of me the whole way home .
    Your wife must be related to mine (aren't they all related?) She loves it when I screw up on tech stuff. I make her happy a lot.
  6. #166  
    hparsons,

    You seem to spend at least an equal amount of time "harassing or complaining" about those that are unhappy with certain parts of their Palm Pre experience as they do expressing their issues or dissatisfaction.

    Seems to be very hypocritical imo...
    Just an observation...
  7. #167  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    hparsons,

    You seem to spend at least an equal amount of time "harassing or complaining" about those that are unhappy with certain parts of their Palm Pre experience as they do expressing their issues or dissatisfaction.

    Seems to be very hypocritical imo...
    Just an observation...
    You lost me a bit, just to make sure we're on the same page, the post above was done very much in jest.

    I think everyone should be free to complain about the Pre to their heart's content. I also think that those that think the complaints are silly should be free to complain to their heart's content. I even think that those that complain about that should be free to do so to their heart's content, need I go on?

    Where do you see any hypocrisy?

    The only real complaint I have about the complainers is, if you don't like the device, why keep using it? Why not move on? (and that's not really a complaint, more a question).

    Again, what hypocrisy?
  8. #168  
    You appeared to post in a very condescending manner so perhaps I took it a little differently than intended.

    Most people keep using the device because of things like contracts and budgets?
    Contractual obligations and monetary limitations aren't "silly" to me... and apparently are not to others as well.

    For complete disclosure, I have a Hero and Pre that I can switch between. But I completely understand that not everyone is capable of (or willing to) spending $250-$600 on another phone as an alternative or switching plans (to Verizon, AT&T, etc.) which are likely more expensive and still require a significant investment in the new handset.
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 01/11/2010 at 03:00 PM.
  9. #169  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    You appeared to post in a very condescending manner so perhaps I took it a little differently than intended.

    Most people keep using the device because of things like contracts and budgets?
    Contractual obligations and monetary limitations aren't "silly" to me... and apparently are not to others as well.

    For complete disclosure, I have a Hero and Pre that I can switch between. But I completely understand that not everyone is capable of (or willing to) spending $250-$600 on another phone as an alternative or switching plans (to Verizon, AT&T, etc.) which are likely more expensive and still require a significant investment in the new handset.
    Don't know if you're in another country, but in the US you have 30 days to try out the device, and you can return it. In addition, some changes with Sprint allowed folks to opt out without ETFs (which are minimal with Sprint anyway).
    Even if a person is stuck with the device, whining about what it won't do is far less productive than asking how to work with what it does do.

    If I sound condescending, it's probably because I am at times. I don't have much patience with complaints that it doesn't do x, y, or z when it didn't do those the day it was purchased.

    At the same time, I'd never say such people shouldn't post; as long as they're just as willing to hear from other's view points.

    In other words, they're rants should be allowed, as well as other's rants. As I said, no hypocrisy at all.
  10. #170  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Certainly not I. But I gotta say, you need lessons on it! My wife got her Pixi for $29

    That it does. I pretty much made the rounds of area BBs until one I had already been to finally decided to give me the deal. Probably got tired of me coming around, but I was always polite, and always made it clear I wasn't buying until I got the price match. Then proved it by leaving when they declined.

    Truth be told, I probably spent more than $70 ($99 marked vs $29 paid) in time and trouble (I bill pretty high for hourly work), but it was the fun of the chase, and my wife wasn't in a hurry.

    Your wife must be related to mine (aren't they all related?) She loves it when I screw up on tech stuff. I make her happy a lot.
    I'm typically very good and wheeling and dealing. However, the closest Best Buy to me was 50 miles and they only carry Tmobile and Verizon.

    I happened to be in Las Vegas so I went to the nearest BB and tried my luck. They offered it to me for $79 on a new line of service but once they messed up and allowed me to upgrade at $99 before my eligibility date, I jumped on it for sake of convenience.

    Women are all absolutely related, lol.

    For the record, I didn't find your post rude. I hadn't clearly stated all of the facts and contradicted myself. Having been on forums for a long time, I can appreciate this .
  11. #171  
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy7 View Post
    I'm typically very good and wheeling and dealing. However, the closest Best Buy to me was 50 miles and they only carry Tmobile and Verizon.

    I happened to be in Las Vegas so I went to the nearest BB and tried my luck. They offered it to me for $79 on a new line of service but once they messed up and allowed me to upgrade at $99 before my eligibility date, I jumped on it for sake of convenience.

    Women are all absolutely related, lol.

    For the record, I didn't find your post rude. I hadn't clearly stated all of the facts and contradicted myself. Having been on forums for a long time, I can appreciate this .
    I always have fun with posts like this. I'm still trying to decide if it's more or less fun when the other guy knows it's all fun, and is having as much...

    I might let you know when I decide the answer...

    BTW, if the nearest BB was 50 miles away, I wouldn't have managed to hold out for $29 either. She might have just continued to wait, but I probably would have ended up paying bigger bucks to get it for her for Christmas.
  12. #172  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Don't know if you're in another country, but in the US you have 30 days to try out the device, and you can return it. In addition, some changes with Sprint allowed folks to opt out without ETFs (which are minimal with Sprint anyway).
    Even if a person is stuck with the device, whining about what it won't do is far less productive than asking how to work with what it does do.

    If I sound condescending, it's probably because I am at times. I don't have much patience with complaints that it doesn't do x, y, or z when it didn't do those the day it was purchased.

    At the same time, I'd never say such people shouldn't post; as long as they're just as willing to hear from other's view points.

    In other words, they're rants should be allowed, as well as other's rants. As I said, no hypocrisy at all.
    Even with those possibilities (30-day return and ETF's waived) those will not apply to many people. The ETF only applies if you have a spending limited and even then it appears to only apply if you are being charged a "fee" on your account (not everyone with a "spending limit" is). The few cents increase does not justify the waiving of the ETF alone (unless you get lucky with a CSR). It's not simple solution and even with the ETF option (if you are able to take advantage of it) there are downfalls/hassels to it. With this being the case, there are still many people that are in a contract and/or not able/willing to spend another $200-$500 on another phone.

    The hypocrisy comes into play when people begin "complaining about people complaining".

    Also, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that some of the general negative and positive feedback expressed on these forums makes it back to people in a position to address it and make changes.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Posting Permissions