Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Hello,

I am thinking about switching my HTC Hero to the Palm Pre. I would like to know if the new OS upgrade makes the Palm Pre a better phone than it once was. Put another way, with the new OS upgrade, would you rate the phone much higher than you did in the past? When the phone first came out, the reviews were average (but that was before the OS upgrade). I am wondering what your opinions are now? Should I go for the switch or stay were I am? I wanted to ask you guys who have true experience using the Pre.

Thanks for your time,
    Lance
    The new upgrade makes the Pre better. And the Hero can get outright damn sluggish at times.

But still depends what you are looking for in a phone? There are numerous threads about this comparison, check them out.
    Live free or DIE!
    If you were not going to select the Pre prior to 1.3.5 I would stick with that decision.

1.3.5 helped with some of the general UI/Calendar lag but outside of that there is nothing significantly different (imo).

I have a Hero and a Pre and have switched between the two over the course of the last 2-3 months. Currently my Pre is active but I am thinking of switching back to the Hero until the Pre (webOS) catches up with it's feature set.

I switched back to me Pre because I activated a replacement on my line and 1.3.5 happen to come out that same evening... so I thought I would give it a "whirl" before switching back to my Hero.

For me, there are just too many features lacking in webOS when compared to Android.

Maybe give us an idea of the primary uses for your "smartphone"?
    If it is just email, calendar and web browsing... the Pre may be perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    The new upgrade makes the Pre better. And the Hero can get outright damn sluggish at times.

But still depends what you are looking for in a phone? There are numerous threads about this comparison, check them out.
    Using both regularly... I would say the Pre gets sluggish more frequently. But they are very close now with 1.3.5 in that regards. Previously, it was not contest for me. I had many more issues with UI lag and general sluggishness on my Pre when compared to the Hero.
    Yeah, go back to Forum Home and click on Cross-Platform Chat.
    You'll find all the comparisons you need over there.
    But to answer ur question quickly:
    Yes, the update helped alot, but we still have alot more to go, especially in terms of PIM functionality. A big plus though, is the web browser. It's faster than my dsl connection at home and the multi-touch screen does what it's supposed to.
    A couple threads with some decent feedback and probably more than it's fair sharing of irrelevant banter (from both sides).

http://forums.precentral.net/cross-p...ro-moment.html

http://forums.precentral.net/cross-p...-palm-pre.html

http://forums.precentral.net/cross-p...onto-hero.html
    They are both great phones that have their pluses and minuses. But to start off, this is a Pre forum so many of the replies may be biases because of that. And as unixpsycho stated, there's many other threads with comparisons.

I have the Pre and my girlfriend has the Hero so I've had extensive experience with both. In all honesty, I don't think you will go wrong with either phone. Playing with the phones in a store will not make your decision any easier since they both have the WOW factor, initially. Every phone has their pluses and minuses but they are both great phones.

Edit: Oh my bad lancer123, I guess I should have read the body of your message since I only read the thread title and thought you were trying to decide to buy either one of the phone. I just realized you have the Hero and considering the Pre.
    And, I'd hold off on your decision regardless until after 11:00am PST this (Thursday) morning.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    And, I'd hold off on your decision regardless until after 11:00am PST this (Thursday) morning.
    + a bunch

If i was going android, i'd get the Nexus. But definitely wait til after CES to make any decision.