Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I see a lot of people that feel the 8 GB storage on the Pre is limited and would have preferred either more onboard storage or an expandable memory slot.

For me, I couldn't begin to fill up the Pre's storage. I don't use the camera that often (I carry my real camera virtually all the time); I really only use it if I want to send someone a photo right away (and if anyone ever made a real camera with bluetooth so I could take a decent picture, zap it to my phone and send it away, I'd never use the phone camera again). I have a few songs on there, but I by no means use the Pre as a music player. I have a lot of apps (relatively), but they're tiny to the point of being negligible. Whatever documents, email, etc. makes up the rest, and I still have 6 GB free which I could probably clean up further.

That said, am I missing out on something, or are people maybe using the Pre as a primary music player and loading it with a couple thousand MP3s? Are you sideloading feature length movies? Using the phone as a portable USB drive for miscellaneous data?

I'm not knocking the way anyone uses his phone, but I'm perplexed to where teh ~7 GB of available storage is too little. 2,000 songs? 10,000 photos? I don't get it...
    i think its more the idea of being restricted to built in memory it just seems a little fruity (bad pun untended)
    Yep, you said it. Music, movies, and photos.

People just want the freedom to do what they want. Personally though I wouldn't even think about using the Pre as my main music player until the music player works better. It is to laggy right now. Lots of people put movies on it to watch when they are waiting in the doctor's office, airport, etc. Can't get very many movies on 7 gigs.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    I'm not knocking the way anyone uses his phone, but I'm perplexed to where teh ~7 GB of available storage is too little. 2,000 songs? 10,000 photos? I don't get it...
    I am kind of like you, but at one point I did ran out of space, due to movies. I found that there are programs that can convert full length DVD movies to MP4 and put on my phone. The picture and sound were pretty good. So I tried to put a few of my kids' DVDs on it in case I need to keep them quiet when we go out. Each hour of movie is about 400MB, so a few of them would add up. I also put Lord of Rings on there, those takes a lot of space. Those are long movies.

But I lost all of my movie conversions, because my only non-backup hard drive failed and my kid played with my Pre lock codes, so I lost all of the movies. It will take me some time to convert them again.

Right now I have 3.3GB left, that's with 1.5GB of music and a few apps. I don't take a lot of photos with phones, and even if I do, I backup my photos very regularly, so there is no reason for me to carry them all the time.

So I think once Pre has video recording, 8GB could become a bigger issue. Right now, only hardcore media users would care and the way to get around it is to move files from and to your PC more often.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    their
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTitans View Post
    Personally though I wouldn't even think about using the Pre as my main music player until the music player works better. It is to laggy right now.
    I don't experience any lag. Well, maybe when I try to browser the web and have a few more apps open at the same time, but if I just want to listen to music as I work or relax, which is when I use music player, I do not experience any lag.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    I just posted about this on the front page's comments:

It's not about listening to the music straight through in hours and hours, it's about convenience. If I commute an hour each way every day, I'm going to eventually be bored of what's on there. But it's also a huge pain to switch out the music, especially on the Pre. Because of a combination of slow write speed and the fact that the phone has to be turned off to transfer in USB mode, it's something where you need to have a block of time planned out where you won't need to be contacted, for one.

In addition, 192kbps doesn't really cut it for some of us. My music is a combination of VBR stuff purchased from Amazon (average bit rate 256 I believe) as well as 320kbps CBR rrips from CDs I own. And yes, on my Etymotic headphones, I can tell a difference. With one movie on there, plus now all my apps on there, a single movie, plus needing to reserve space for Dr Podder downloads of video podcasts, plus some space reserved for future app purchases, I only have around 600 songs on the Pre.

600 songs can get old very fast when you listen to it for a while every day. And because of the aforementioned inconveniences, the less you need to sync the better. Even solving them, it's still a pain to swap out music. While a device that can hold my entire library in flash memory won't be possible for a while, 7gb usable is just miniscule, with 16gb or even better 32gb being far better.

And before people mention Pandora or other radio apps, or streaming podcasts instead of downloading them, well try doing that when underground on the subway every day.
    And I neglected to mention in that that taking pictures can add up fast as well, I ran out of space a few times while on vacation. I had a dedicated camera, but I found that most of the time it wasn't even worth bringing with me because the Pre's camera was good enough.

But anyway, how low of a bitrate is the original poster using that 7GB is 2,000 songs, 128kbps or something?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I just posted about this on the front page's comments:

And I neglected to mention in that that taking pictures can add up fast as well, I ran out of space a few times while on vacation. I had a dedicated camera, but I found that most of the time it wasn't even worth bringing with me because the Pre's camera was good enough.

But anyway, how low of a bitrate is the original poster using that 7GB is 2,000 songs, 128kbps or something?
    Heh, as I said, I've never come anywhere near filling the storage. 500 songs? No clue

Anyhow, I guess I'm of the ilk is that if I need 32+ GB of storage for music/movies, I need a dedicated music/video player. They're small enough and inexpensive to where it's difficult to make the argument that they're inconvenient. A 120 GB Zune goes for around $200.

But still, I guess it's a matter of opinion. I don't feel a multi-function device is substandard because it fails to fully replace a specialized, single-function device when they're readily available. I carry my 10 MP, 20X optical zoom camera with me because of the (relative) poor photo quality of camera phones but take lots of pictures.

*shrug* I sometimes just think people expect way to much from $200 or $300 phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksom View Post
    I don't experience any lag. Well, maybe when I try to browser the web and have a few more apps open at the same time, but if I just want to listen to music as I work or relax, which is when I use music player, I do not experience any lag.

I just find it to be very unresponsive. It is usable but just not very refined yet.
    Some people do it, but for the life of me I can't see how watching a movie or tv show on a 3in screen is the bee's knees.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Some people do it, but for the life of me I can't see how watching a movie or tv show on a 3in screen is the bee's knees.
    +1

I use a dedicated mp3 player when I travel for music. Plus I read, gasp, books. I am a bit old fashioned (and you can remove the fashioned) but I think that this constant barrage of electronic stimulation is a killer for kids and adults alike. No-one seems content to read a book or magazine anymore it's all electronic all the time. My kids think I am a pita for not allowing them what their friends get but they actually can entertain themselves a bit without annoying us completely - imagine.

And bitrate for mp3 on a phone. If you are storing anything better than 128 kbps then you are just wasting space and I might argue that 128 is too good. Come on, earbud headphones and a minimum capability amplification circuit in a phone - not worth the storage space.
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    +1

I use a dedicated mp3 player when I travel for music. Plus I read, gasp, books. I am a bit old fashioned (and you can remove the fashioned) but I think that this constant barrage of electronic stimulation is a killer for kids and adults alike. No-one seems content to read a book or magazine anymore it's all electronic all the time. My kids think I am a pita for not allowing them what their friends get but they actually can entertain themselves a bit without annoying us completely - imagine.

And bitrate for mp3 on a phone. If you are storing anything better than 128 kbps then you are just wasting space and I might argue that 128 is too good. Come on, earbud headphones and a minimum capability amplification circuit in a phone - not worth the storage space.
    hehe.

I wouldn't mind have a color e-reader for my magazines but I won't read a magazine or book on a cell phone b/c the eye strain that is needed to accomplish such a task isn't worth it.

I have a MP3 player as well b/c its much more useful than carrying a phone into the gym or while running. The Iphone is the only phone that I can think of where listening to MP3s on your cell while working out wouldn't be much of a hinderance.
    Last edited by playboy; 01/07/2010 at 07:22 AM.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I somewhat agree with the iPhone comment. However, my modest mp3 player is less than 1/4 the size of my phone (overall dimensions). For short term use a phone would work but for several hours on an airplane a phone is not the solution for music. Battery life will be an issue too.
    Those ereaders like the kindle and nook have no eye strain to them. that E-Ink technology is just like reading a piece of paper. I love my new nook I got for christmas...never leave home without it. I would never read a book on my Pre or any smart phone. way to small and I imagine it could hurt your eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    For short term use a phone would work but for several hours on an airplane a phone is not the solution for music. Battery life will be an issue too.
    Exactly. I'm not listening to tunes on my phone while I'm on my way to Europe or Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    Anyhow, I guess I'm of the ilk is that if I need 32+ GB of storage for music/movies, I need a dedicated music/video player. They're small enough and inexpensive to where it's difficult to make the argument that they're inconvenient. A 120 GB Zune goes for around $200.

But still, I guess it's a matter of opinion. I don't feel a multi-function device is substandard because it fails to fully replace a specialized, single-function device when they're readily available. I carry my 10 MP, 20X optical zoom camera with me because of the (relative) poor photo quality of camera phones but take lots of pictures.
    There is a limit to how many electronic devices people want to carry. I carry two blackberries and Sony ebook reader. I would not want to add an additional device which would also need charging.
    I just bought my phone recently, but as of typing this I have 6.2gb of space left with 100 songs at 320kbps, and 20 or so pictures. Personally I bring my ipod touch to PT when I want music, but now I'm still debating whether I want to replace my ipod with my phone/pandora(which I listen to anytime I can, love pandora). The biggest problem is battery life, but extra batteries aren't a problem, BUT I also shouldn't have to carry em.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Bee's knees? There's an old expression for you.

Anyway... Watching a movie on a three inch screen may not be ideal, but it beats the heck out of staring at the back of the seat in front of you for two hours while flying into Boston. It also reduces the amount of junk one has to carry on the plane.
    I still have 6.2 gigs left and If I wanted I could due some damage by adding movies, pics, and music. I'm fine with the 7gigs but If I had 16gb like what verizon is getting my phone would be filled with tons and tons of stuff.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    blabbing about space always gave me a chuckle...

here is the way I look at it. I have like 6 gigs of space left and not once have I ever felt restricted. I have about 15 albums on my pre. It's dumb to have 200..... Nobody ever listens to it all anyways. Toss on 20 albums that are @ the top of your must listen to list and that's that. Swap those songs out when you get bored.

and movies... How many movies do peoe reallu need stored.!?!? Put 1 or 2 on there. Watch them and then rinse and repeat. Why have 30 on there.

I think ppl just ***** for the sske of *****ing anymore
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast