Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawandvital View Post
    blabbing about space always gave me a chuckle...

here is the way I look at it. I have like 6 gigs of space left and not once have I ever felt restricted. I have about 15 albums on my pre. It's dumb to have 200..... Nobody ever listens to it all anyways. Toss on 20 albums that are @ the top of your must listen to list and that's that. Swap those songs out when you get bored.

and movies... How many movies do peoe reallu need stored.!?!? Put 1 or 2 on there. Watch them and then rinse and repeat. Why have 30 on there.

I think ppl just ***** for the sske of *****ing anymore
    I personally use my phone the same way you do but obviously a large amount of people like to store more things on their phones than we do. Palm would be wise accommodate them (and they are) or they will simply pick a different phone. It is all about giving people choices...Palm must see the demand is there or they wouldn't do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawandvital View Post
    I think ppl just ***** for the sske of *****ing anymore
    Not sure what that means but people have been complaining about the 8GB limit for almost a year now.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    There is a limit to how many electronic devices people want to carry. I carry two blackberries and Sony ebook reader. I would not want to add an additional device which would also need charging.
    I can under stand that.

What I don't understand is why a $200 cell phone is expected to carry the load for several or more specialized devices, each of which individually costs as much or more as the cell phone itself.

Yes, there is additional cost of ownership for a cell phone. But expecting it to be a full fledged multimedia player, media archive, personal gaming unit, SLR camera, etc. that some people seem to expect is ridiculous.

I'm sure they could easily crank out a phone with 120 GB of storage, is PSP compatible, and has a 12 MP camera with 9-point auto-focus. But then everyone would balk at the $1000 subsidized price tag. It's not feasible.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I can't make do with the 7GB usable, but more is always preferred.

And obviously I'd be happy to pay more for more storage, I wouldn't expect to get it for the same price as the lower memory version.

As for replacing multiple devices, of course it doesn't completely replace my digital camera, or my DS, or my MediaCenter at home. But it is the only device that I carry with me at all times, and so the better that it can do those things, the better it works for me.

As it stands, 7GB is absolutely anemic, not just in comparison to other devices, but in general. I fully realize that there are others who don't need any more than that, but there should be an option for those who do, especially when it's ridiculously simple to throw more flash into a device.

Of course, with Palm's case, I never expected a memory bump until about 6-9 months later due to funding issues, etc. But it still would be nice to have 16 or 32GB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    What I don't understand is why a $200 cell phone is expected to carry the load for several or more specialized devices, each of which individually costs as much or more as the cell phone itself.

Yes, there is additional cost of ownership for a cell phone. But expecting it to be a full fledged multimedia player, media archive, personal gaming unit, SLR camera, etc. that some people seem to expect is ridiculous.

I'm sure they could easily crank out a phone with 120 GB of storage, is PSP compatible, and has a 12 MP camera with 9-point auto-focus. But then everyone would balk at the $1000 subsidized price tag. It's not feasible.
    I am not sure why it is unreasonable to expect a smartphone to have a decent media player and a decent amount of flash memory to store that media. Most smartphones have a Micro SD slot which can take a 16GB card. The iPhone does not but it is available in a 16GB version for $200 and a 32GB version for$300. Why should anyone expect less from Palm for the same money?

As for cameras in phones. If phone manufacturers are going to include them, the ability to take usable photographs is a reasonable expectation. To that end I would expect at least a 3MP device with an autofocus lens and a flash.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I am not sure why it is unreasonable to expect a smartphone to have a decent media player and a decent amount of flash memory to store that media. Most smartphones have a Micro SD slot which can take a 16GB card. The iPhone does not but it is available in a 16GB version for $200 and a 32GB version for$300. Why should anyone expect less from Palm for the same money?

As for cameras in phones. If phone manufacturers are going to include them, the ability to take usable photographs is a reasonable expectation. To that end I would expect at least a 3MP device with an autofocus lens and a flash.
    The "decent" part is what's debateable. I'd say 24 hours of continuous multimedia entertainment is reasonable for a cell phone. That will get you through a weekend vacation. Anything over that, you should start looking to a specialized device. The Pre can accomplish that, so I'd say it's decent. I dunno, I look to communications (phone calls, messaging, browser, Nav/GPS first when evaluating a cell phone; everything else is just peripheral (camera, music/movies, etc.) so I don't expect top notch functionality. Apps fall somewhere inbetween since they can be added cost.

As for the camera, technology limits what you can do in the space of a cell phone. The tiny sensor makes shooting anything below near-daylight conditions a novelty so any little extras such as mechanical autofocus are borderline useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    The "decent" part is what's debateable. I'd say 24 hours of continuous multimedia entertainment is reasonable for a cell phone. That will get you through a weekend vacation. Anything over that, you should start looking to a specialized device. The Pre can accomplish that, so I'd say it's decent. I dunno, I look to communications (phone calls, messaging, browser, Nav/GPS first when evaluating a cell phone; everything else is just peripheral (camera, music/movies, etc.) so I don't expect top notch functionality. Apps fall somewhere inbetween since they can be added cost.

As for the camera, technology limits what you can do in the space of a cell phone. The tiny sensor makes shooting anything below near-daylight conditions a novelty so any little extras such as mechanical autofocus are borderline useless.
    The benchmark for the embedded media player in any phone is the iPhone. The Sprint Pre doesn't measure up either in the software or capacity. Actually the Pre isn't even as good as a Blackberry as a music player. As a phone/messaging device its not even close. The Browser is excellent but since when has Nav been a core app for a phone.
    i use mine to move files back and forth between home and work... also currently about 415 songs for the train ride/car... some unique music videos like "call on me" "sex and sun"... and at any given moment at least 70 pics, i actually use the camera alot!
    I have 1.5GB of storage on mine. I use this mostly as my current grab bag of favorite and current family pics, videos, wallpapers and ringtones.

I personally have a 32 GB MP3 player that I take to work as I am not allowed to download personal items to my computer, so I have no need for music storage on my phone. However if the Palm had the storage capacity and battery stamina to get me through the day, I would be happy. I tried using one of the radio streaming players and went from 95% to 20% in a hour and a half.

The beauty of the IPhone is that it can fully function as a phone and a player. My next door co-worker plays his ITunes all day, and still has battery life to place a call at the end of the day.
    Now I personally do not think it excells at either, otherwise I would have purchased one. There are plenty of items at which the IPhone falls short. What Apple did however is create the first great multi-purpose device, and so far no one has been able to build a better one.
    don't really use the storage, i guess i'm not used to it lol, i have some music and 2 mp4 movies. i still have like 5gb free storage....
    I'm not unhappy with the Pre's storage because I knew how much it had when I bought it, but if they had offered a 16g or even better a 32g I would have bought that. I would love to have an all-in-one device. So for now I put all my "actual reading" books on my Pre and some music and a few pics. I bought a 80g Zune at Christmas for $99 and on that I put all my favorite movies, all my pics, all my music and I also keep a boatload of audible books on it. I've used about 16gs on it so far. I personally don't want to have to swap stuff out. It's a pain. As far as the Kindle and Nook go I'd love to have one, but as far as I'm concerned they aren't portable. If it doesn't comfortably go in my pants pocket I won't carry it.
    Don't know about you but 8 GB... that more than enough for me!
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Keep in mind that just a small handful of these new games will add up to 7GB as well.

Oregon Trail is apparently 280MB on the device. Using that as an example, you can only have 28 games of that size installed.

Now, I'm sure most people won't won't that many games on there, but when you add it to the list, that's just one more thing that has to fit into the crammed storage space.
    I like keeping all of my music on my phone because I go to the gym almost daily and also listen to my music in my car and on speakers in my office. Previously I had all of my music, ebooks and pictures on sd cards. I would have been happy just keeping the sd slot. 8 GB is not enough for everything. I need at least 32 GB if Palm is going to take away the sd slot. Since the iphone has that, I would think that would be a reasonable request. (I would rather have the sd card slot).
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12