1. GFS
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    i just got a replacement pre on monday (my last replacement had the screen shatter at the button, must have been an ollllld one.)

tonight after i got off work i kept trying to text and the orange button wouldn't turn on. i rebooted, still no orange button.

i got into it with sprint, who didn't make me all too happy with their responses (too many replacements, they say -- you'd think they'd offer to remove the insurance if i can't get any more? but i digress)

so, here i am, with a 2 day old replacement that won't let me get excited (!!!) or ask questions (???) or even type numbers. you don't realize how important that dang orange button is until it's gone.

so, after a few heated phone calls with sprint and getting told to go to a store that closes at 9 (which was already closed, cause they close at 8!) i give up and decide to try a few things myself.

i tried taking a screen shot, to see if the "function" function is just gone, but the button might still work. it doesn't.

then i get the bright idea of just taking out the battery and restarting the phone from a cold boot. whoops.

now i'm stuck, locked up on the "palm" loading screen (the animation stopped), and i'm kind of scared to take out the battery again, but my phone is totally non-working now.

any suggestions?
    Take it in like it is, first thing tomorrow morning, with it refusing to boot, and then raise holy hell.

Also remember you have an ace in the hole. We can get out of our contracts free this month due to a rate hike. Even if you don't plan to leave sprint, throw that bad boy of a threat out there, and watch them scramble to keep you.

~Kelly

"Two things are infinite: the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ~Albert Einstein
    Take it in like it is, first thing tomorrow morning, with it refusing to boot, and then raise holy hell.

Also remember you have an ace in the hole. We can get out of our contracts free this month due to a rate hike. Even if you don't plan to leave sprint, throw that bad boy of a threat out there, and watch them scramble to keep you.

~Kelly

"Two things are infinite: the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ~Albert Einstein
  4. GFS
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    oh, i totally forgot about that rate hike. good call, thanks!!!!
    go to device info, then preferences, interactive tests, hardware buttons..

see what happens when you press the orange key..use this as evidence when you go back
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGerbilKing View Post
    go to device info, then preferences, interactive tests, hardware buttons..

see what happens when you press the orange key..use this as evidence when you go back
    Gerbil, I think you missed this key information in GFS's post:

Quote Originally Posted by GFS View Post
    ... now i'm stuck, locked up on the "palm" loading screen (the animation stopped), and i'm kind of scared to take out the battery again, but my phone is totally non-working now. ...
  7. GFS
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    i took it into the Sprint store. they restarted it and got it running, the keyboard test proved the "orange" key had failed.

they said they can replace it (because even refurbs have a 30 day warranty) but i have to wait until monday. i was pretty bummed out, because i can't use the symbols on the keyboard, then i realized that our homebrew community had made a keyboard that doesn't rely on the hardware!

so i got preware on my phone, and installed the virtual keyboard, now i can ! and ? and to my hearts content.

THANK YOU, HOMEBREW DEVS!!!!!!