1.    #1  
    Have you done a full wipe or WebOSDoctor on your device only to find that some of your patches/themes are still installed? Are you also finding that these patches/themes are un-removable, even with Emergency Patch Recovery via Preware/WebOS Quick installed? The problem is WebOSDoctor for 1.3.5 and above no longer wipes the core operating system from the device, just your personal stuff. Here is the fix.

First - I am not responsible for your device, or anything you do with it. This could seriously screw your device/Palm Profile up if you do not follow these instructions to the fullest - Even then, good luck with that.

Also note that WebOSDoctor removes all data, even from the "USB Drive" partition of your phone. Always backup anything you know you can't restore!

Instructions are for the Sprint Pre ONLY

1) Download the WebOSDoctor 1.3.1 from here (source)

2) Backup your contacts - This is technically not required, but some people cannot follow instructions.
    - If your contacts are synced to Google, verify that your contacts are in fact on Google Contacts. It's not necessary to export your contacts, however you can just for safety's sake.
    - If you do NOT use Google contacts, back your Palm profile up by extracting the Palm Profile database from WebOS Quick Install. There are instructions on the forums here, just search for them.

3) Run the WebOSDoctor you downloaded with the link provided above.
    - If you receive an error half way through flashing, you should probably try it on a different computer. Windows Vista gave me hell, OS X worked just fine.

4) This is REALLY IMPORTANT: Sign into a DUMMY Palm profile. If you do not already have one, then create one during the phone boot up. Failure to do this could cause you to lose the contacts stored on your main Palm Profile. Good thing you backed them up in step 2, right?

-- Your device is now fully wiped/restored, but you are now running WebOS 1.3.1, so it's time to upgrade!

5) Run the Update Wizard, Download the newest update (1.3.5.1 at the time of writing) - The update will take some time, like half an hour or more, be patient!

6) After the update is complete and the phone is up to date, simply do a parial wipe (Run the "Device Info" app on the launcher, Select the "Reset Options" at the bottom of the window, then select "Partial Erase").

7) Once the device reboots, login to your normal Palm profile to restore all your previous programs/data/contacts.

Let me know if I made a mistake somewhere!

Edit: Partial wipe, rather than full wipe in Step 6
    Last edited by jamesrdorn; 01/06/2010 at 08:18 PM.
    yeah , where you say the doctor erase the usb partition! .. Doctor don't even touch that!

And you don't need to do a full erase, with a partial erase is enough!
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrdorn View Post
    The problem is WebOSDoctor for 1.3.5 and above no longer wipes the core operating system from the device, just your personal stuff.
    Are you absolutely sure on this one? I thought for sure the 1.3.1 and above webOSDoctor left your personal stuff alone and just wiped the OS. It would make no sense of it just to wipe your personal stuff and leave the core OS. The webOSDoctor is meant to take a bare metal (or plastic ;-) ) phone to running webOS, therefore it has to replace and install the whole OS.

I would also be very wary of anyone with just 11 posts to post something like this, anyone willing to follow these instructions make sure you heed the underlined warning, use at your own caution!!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Are you absolutely sure on this one? I thought for sure the 1.3.1 and above webOSDoctor left your personal stuff alone and just wiped the OS. It would make no sense of it just to wipe your personal stuff and leave the core OS. The webOSDoctor is meant to take a bare metal (or plastic ;-) ) phone to running webOS, therefore it has to replace and install the whole OS.

I would also be very wary of anyone with just 11 posts to post something like this, anyone willing to follow these instructions make sure you heed the underlined warning, use at your own caution!!

First - The new WebOSDoctor does not do a full wipe, this is why you still find left over stray patches on the device after it's complete.

Second - I know I have a low post count, but it's only because I dont really post a lot. I came from the Android hacking community, and know quite a bit about embedded operating systems. I am also a linux/Cisco administrator.

As I said, follow the instructions at your own risk. I just completed this guide step by step on several phones.

As far as WebOSDoctor deleting your personal stuff, I just took that right from the WebOSDoctor installer screen - it's a fair warning to people that it could happen. Better safe than sorry anyways.
    Last edited by jamesrdorn; 01/06/2010 at 08:12 PM.
    The Dr. absolutely does NOT wipe the USB drive!
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

the thing is that when you doctor your phone, the patches do get removed from the system files.

what you are seeing on preware and webosquickinstall are a listing of folders with the name of the patches that contain the reversal patch.

that's why when you try and remove them, they error out because they try and unpatch themselves and the change is no longer on the system file so like a good patch they stop everything and produce an error for you to review.

if you have a rooted phone you just go into your cryptfs folder and delete all folders that list the patch name. once those folders are removed you will no longer see them listed as installed in preware or webosquickinstaller.

I've also heard that you can remove patches using webosquickinstaller , it will cause errors to show up but once you reboot your phone supposedly the listing of the patches will be gone.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by victorkruger View Post
    the thing is that when you doctor your phone, the patches do get removed from the system files.

what you are seeing on preware and webosquickinstall are a listing of folders with the name of the patches that contain the reversal patch.

that's why when you try and remove them, they error out because they try and unpatch themselves and the change is no longer on the system file so like a good patch they stop everything and produce an error for you to review.

if you have a rooted phone you just go into your cryptfs folder and delete all folders that list the patch name. once those folders are removed you will no longer see them listed as installed in preware or webosquickinstaller.

I've also heard that you can remove patches using webosquickinstaller , it will cause errors to show up but once you reboot your phone supposedly the listing of the patches will be gone.

Actually after a full WebOSDoctor 1.3.5 the patches are still functioning on the system. Such as the top bar has the time and date. The only way I could get them to remove is to use WebOSDoctor pre-1.3.5. There are several forum post about this.

Preware doesnt show any patches installed. The EPR run both from Preware and WebOS Quick install both fail saying no patches are installed.
    I went ahead and did a doctor back down to 1.2 which does wipe the USB drive if I'm not mistaken and everything else, then doctored it back up to 1.3.5, did a fresh install of 1.3.5.1 and reinstalled everything and STILL got errors installing some patches that are reported to work with 1.3.5.

I didn't try the dummy log in, which I will try now. I'll let you know.
    What if you do a "full erase" - the menu says this will erase the USB partition...
    Hi Jamesrdorn-

1) Download the WebOSDoctor 1.3.1

I've tried downloading 1.3.1 from the link you provided and the zip file doesn't contain the actual webosdoctor program. How did you do it?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrdorn View Post
    Actually after a full WebOSDoctor 1.3.5 the patches are still functioning on the system. Such as the top bar has the time and date. The only way I could get them to remove is to use WebOSDoctor pre-1.3.5. There are several forum post about this.

Preware doesnt show any patches installed. The EPR run both from Preware and WebOS Quick install both fail saying no patches are installed.
    Confirmed ... i had timestamp patch installed and it was still there after a doctor , i just did a full erase and still, im doctoring again.
    Doctoring back to 1.2, creating a new profile, then doctoring up to 1.3.5, then downloading 1.3.5.1 before installing any patches worked great for me.

My phone is perfect for another 3-4 weeks until the next update.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdutro View Post
    What if you do a "full erase" - the menu says this will erase the USB partition...
    No, this will not remove the patches within the operating system. Though I am sure it will delete everything on the USB drive (not where the patches are installed)

Doctoring to 1.3.1 will do the trick, it worked on several of my devices.

Cheers
    Where can I get a copy of webos doctor .jar file for version 1.3.1?? The link I have seen is for a .zip file??
    Quote Originally Posted by jwcarroll View Post
    Where can I get a copy of webos doctor .jar file for version 1.3.1?? The link I have seen is for a .zip file??
    WebOS Internals has all this links:

Webos Doctor Versions

I'm not sure I trust the directions.

Edit: I've had patches you could classify as "unremovable" which simply req'd some form of file replacement...I've only had to Dr once due to a patch issue.

IHMO...These directions aren't necessary unless the situation involves multiple patches.
    Last edited by xanthinealkaloid; 01/07/2010 at 10:10 PM. Reason: clarification