Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 56
  1. smccue's Avatar
    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
       #1  
    I went skiing a couple of weeks ago with my Pre in my pocket and noticed my battery life was better than normal, but did not think twice about it. Last weekend i went skiing again and same thing my battery was still at 100% after being off the charger for 6 hours. Normally my battery would be dead at that point.

    So that raises the question does the Pre battery perform better in an a cryogenically cooled state???? Do we need to miniature cooling units with us to have have a shot at normal battery life?
  2. #2  
    I think that's true with all batteries. My grandmother still keeps batteries in the fridge.
  3. #3  
    have you ever heard of putting batteries in a freezer to make them last? it's nothing new
  4. #4  
    Maybe, but when its below 0 in chicago, ppl dont have time to stay in cold just to save battery life.
  5. #5  
    Will you guys please keep your cold weather up north! It's only 52 in Orlando right now and in the 30's at night with wind chills in the 20's! I moved here for a reason, darn global warming! This morning it was colder here than in Salt Lake City. BRRR!!!
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
  6. #6  
    The wind chill was 7 here in Atlanta this morning.
  7. #7  
    78 degrees here in SoCal, sorry, just had to throw that in
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    78 degrees here in SoCal, sorry, just had to throw that in
    :thumbsdown:
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    78 degrees here in SoCal, sorry, just had to throw that in
    Keep your steam in SoCal I don't want it
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post
    Will you guys please keep your cold weather up north! It's only 52 in Orlando right now and in the 30's at night with wind chills in the 20's! I moved here for a reason, darn global warming! This morning it was colder here than in Salt Lake City. BRRR!!!
    52? Did it even really hit 50 today? Im in Orlando too, sitting here in sweatpants and a sweatshirt and my fingers freezing when I type..

    Where in O town are ya? Its COLD here huh?

    Kinda a nice change, but just a tad too extreme
  11. rodhnc's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    #11  
    good point though, I may try carrying in holster or top pocket vs. pants pocket to see if less body heat means longer battery life.
  12. #12  
    For long term storage, colder is better. For squeezing every electron from the battery while in use? Not so much. Warmer is better. Cold batteries drain quicker from past experience.
  13. doc31's Avatar
    Posts
    707 Posts
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    The wind chill was 7 here in Atlanta this morning.
    Man up -12 w/ wind chill in Chicago.... but I still need a second battery
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    Man up -12 w/ wind chill in Chicago.... but I still need a second battery
    Ha ha- I grew up in N.Y.C.
    I know what you're talking about.

    I moved down here for the 'warm' weather.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    78 degrees here in SoCal, sorry, just had to throw that in
    Yeah, you beat me to it. Rough, isn't it?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  16. Daemon's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    #16  
    Lithium Ion batteries don't like cold at all.
    In fact almost no batteries like to be active when they're cold.
    Some can be stored longer in a cold state (slow internal self discharge
    is reduced because all chemical reactions are slowed), but you
    have to warm them back up before use.

    Whatever reason the battery usage was better, it wasn't due to the cold.
    Probably had to do with having either a really good signal at the ski
    area, or roaming, or none at all.

    ian
  17. #17  
    Isn't Sunnyvale in SoCal?
    Hmm. Just connecting some dots here......
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Yeah, you beat me to it. Rough, isn't it?
    Yeah, gotta throw on a sweatshirt in the morning, but still wear'n my flip flops
  19. #20  
    Nice that you discovered this but I should warn you that this not always the solution to battery longevity. You might want to go to Battery University.com for info on batteries. This does not work on Ion-lithium batteries. Just wanted to share this with you.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions