Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    90' - 100' here in Puerto Rico by day. Nights are from 75 - 85. Winter hasn't brought the cooler weather to Puerto Rico this year. Last year it was a cool 79 by day for the most of december and january. The heat got turned up for us this year FTL!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    You guys are lucky, its -10 C here in england at the moment (that's -50 F for you americans ) and as low as -20 C (-68 F) in some parts.

Now back on topic, my battery life has been great recently, i wonder why
    not quite
    -10c is 14*f
    -20c is -4*f

the c. vs f. slope doesnt intercept at 0.

its just about -20c in denver right now. at -68f youd probably freeze
    I just dip my pre in ice cold water when i'm not using it then dry it out with rice when I need to use it. So far my battery has lasted 2 weeks on a single charge with semi heavy use.
    Quote Originally Posted by joetemp75 View Post
    I just dip my pre in ice cold water when i'm not using it then dry it out with rice when I need to use it. So far my battery has lasted 2 weeks on a single charge with semi heavy use.
    I've heard that cold beer is better than cold water for that.
    But you didn't hear it from me.
    Quote Originally Posted by chienandalusia View Post
    not quite
    -10c is 14*f
    -20c is -4*f

It's always good to have a math teacher on board to staighten things out. Good catch.
    I knew that sounded strange too, I just couldn't crunch the numbers.
    It might have something to do with my previous post.
    well its cold here even though its 28 out side I'm not used to it and I gate cold. I live in fl. for a reason because I like heat and man am I missing it today lol. It only gets colder tomorrow man that bites .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    It's always good to have a math teacher on board to staighten things out. Good catch.
    I knew that sounded strange too, I just couldn't crunch the numbers.
    It might have something to do with my previous post.
    have a late night on the couch I assume ha !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    have a late night on the couch I assume ha !
    Nah, not this time. Going into work right now, ttyl.
    that's good have a good day and stay off that couch lol ttyl
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Lithium Ion batteries don't like cold at all.
    In fact almost no batteries like to be active when they're cold.
    Some can be stored longer in a cold state (slow internal self discharge
    is reduced because all chemical reactions are slowed), but you
    have to warm them back up before use.

Whatever reason the battery usage was better, it wasn't due to the cold.
    Probably had to do with having either a really good signal at the ski
    area, or roaming, or none at all.

ian
    All true. Especially with Lithium cells. The stated capacity on the battery only applies at room temperature. You can normally squeeze a bit more out of a flat battery by warming it up.

Self discharge over a day is likely to be tiny compared to what the phone uses in idle, so i doubt it made much difference. Also note that the 'Gas Gauge' of the phone will probably only look at the measured power drawn against the nominal capacity. It may also do some form self calibration over time to improve it's estimate.

You probably had a very strong signal from the base station where you were and hence the phone did not have to transmit so much power to talk to it.
    It's 1F in Denver with snow...grew up in MN & that used to feel warm to me...not so much anymore. Heh. But I don't like hot weather & love snow, even if I can't handle "real" cold these days. Haven't noticed any difference in battery life warm or cold.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    78 degrees here in SoCal, sorry, just had to throw that in
    27 degrees here last night in Tampa, FL
    Quote Originally Posted by chienandalusia View Post
    not quite
    -10c is 14*f
    -20c is -4*f

Ahhh, apologies. That's the result of a late night and stupidly placing a Negative/minus (-) sign in front of the positive integer equivalent.

i'll stick with metric
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post
    It's only 52 in Orlando right now and in the 30's at night with wind chills in the 20's! I moved here for a reason, darn global warming! This morning it was colder here than in Salt Lake City. BRRR!!!
    i dont understand how global warming makes it colder. i call it cycles of the earth. we have had several global warming fazes in our history with no humans around
    Pre be with you.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. -- Winston Churchill

Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. -- Aldous Huxley
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smccue View Post
    I went skiing a couple of weeks ago with my Pre in my pocket and noticed my battery life was better than normal, but did not think twice about it. Last weekend i went skiing again and same thing my battery was still at 100% after being off the charger for 6 hours. Normally my battery would be dead at that point.

So that raises the question does the Pre battery perform better in an a cryogenically cooled state???? Do we need to miniature cooling units with us to have have a shot at normal battery life?
    just so you realize that the cold weather doesn't affect the battery life. Were you in airplane mode? If so this is why you were at 100%. I have been at 100% before after having my pre off for 6 hours and i didn't use it. But then once i started using it it went down to 65%. The way the pre tries to see how much battery life is left sucks. I honestly think palm is rounding up to make it look like battery life is better when it isn't.

Now that i have the battery % patch installed my pre's battery goes down MUCH faster. Atleast the patch isn't trying to fluff on how much life i really have.
    MyFlashlight - The Original Palm Pre Flashlight Application
    fileCoaster - The Original On Pre Application Installer

Donations are greatly appreciated and can be donated HERE!. Again thank you ALL for your continued support!

Follow us on Twitter @vertigoapps
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    It's 1F in Denver with snow...grew up in MN & that used to feel warm to me...not so much anymore. Heh. But I don't like hot weather & love snow, even if I can't handle "real" cold these days. Haven't noticed any difference in battery life warm or cold.
    I just came back from MN during the holiday's.

The high was -1....
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123