1.    #1  
    ... how on earth did the following two design flaws make it through?

1) Microphone/mouthpiece located in a position that doesn't allow you to rest the phone on your left shoulder and talk with the person on the other end being able to hear you. People have only been resting the phone between their ear and their shoulder to free their hands for 50 years, this has to be one of the simplest of design issues in any phone. Something as ridiculously trivial as carrying some groceries with both hands into the house while talking on the phone? You can't do it. Ridiculous.

2) On the same topic, why would you put the charging port on the RIGHT side of the device - again you now have to have the damn plug draped across you if your charger is on your right and your phone is on your left ear (like the majority of people use the phone).

Just simple SIMPLE stuff that somehow got botched in the design stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sound of Silence View Post

1) Microphone/mouthpiece located in a position that doesn't allow you to rest the phone on your left shoulder and talk with the person on the other end being able to hear you. People have only been resting the phone between their ear and their shoulder to free their hands for 50 years, this has to be one of the simplest of design issues in any phone. Something as ridiculously trivial as carrying some groceries with both hands into the house while talking on the phone? You can't do it. Ridiculous.

2) On the same topic, why would you put the charging port on the RIGHT side of the device - again you now have to have the damn plug draped across you if your charger is on your right and your phone is on your left ear (like the majority of people use the phone).

1) Bluetooth headset

2) I actually use the phone on my right, so I think it varies from person to person.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!

1) Never had issues with it? Also, why not use a Bluetooth? It's a hands-free device.

2) Majority of ppl use their phone on the left ear? I've almost used my right, when I do use the phone in that manner but most of the time, Bluetooth works for either ear.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I bow to the Master, good answers.

The power connection should have been located on the bottom of the phone instead of the side, this had to have been an oversight - or did Palm really think everyone would use a touchstone? And they don't offer a TS auto solution at all yet.

I use the phone right and left handed and though there is some lost pickup capability when using on the left it can be used left handed. I also use a headset if I plan to have my hands full such as carrying groceries or driving or some other such task. I even use a headset when I walk the dogs.
    For me, both of your complaints are non issues. Phone is too slippery to put between my ear and shoulder and feel safe. Although, having just tried, it seems to work fine for the brief periods I attempted this positioning. Charger positioning was odd when i first obtained my Pre but I have since become accustomed.

After receiving my Pre and using it daily for several months, I am not saying I don't have design complaints of my own.
    Both of these are total non-issues.
    the phone shoulder thing goes back to Western Electric deskphones. I have not ever had a cell phone that was designed to do that.

Even the flip phones didn't have microphones on them where most people thought they would (on the end of the flip next to your mouth) there were always at the joint.

I am a right side phone person and it is fine. I know why they did that. All Treos of past were on the bottom, the issues that come up are when people put their phones in their cup holders. Either there is condensation from a previous drink or a bunch of dirty coins and dust. Both get jammed up in that connection and Palm has to do warranty service to fix it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    Both of these are total non-issues.
    the phone shoulder thing goes back to Western Electric deskphones. I have not ever had a cell phone that was designed to do that.

Even the flip phones didn't have microphones on them where most people thought they would (on the end of the flip next to your mouth) there were always at the joint.

I am a right side phone person and it is fine. I know why they did that. All Treos of past were on the bottom, the issues that come up are when people put their phones in their cup holders. Either there is condensation from a previous drink or a bunch of dirty coins and dust. Both get jammed up in that connection and Palm has to do warranty service to fix it.
    Never thought about getting dirt in the charger port. Now I see why they included the covers.

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    I have experienced the same issue. When attempting to hold your phone between your head and shoulder, thus freeing your hands, you sound like you are in a box or the person on the other end can't hear you at all. Its probably the size of the Pre that could be a factor in this. Previous phones (Touch, touch pro, touch diamond, centro, treo 600, treo 750, treo 800w) did not have this problem. One nice touch of the Nexus One is that has 2 mics, 1 on the front, and 1 on the back. That should alleviate this problem. Not everyone wants to use a bluetooth headset. I like how all the responses have been "use a headset", why not address that this is a design oversight? Why does every problem with the Pre get address by the "use a patch" or "buy another phone" or "it took the iphone 3 years" be the resolution to every problem. Doesn't that click with some people that means Palm did not do a good job on this phone?
    you just managed to find two issues that I never even think anybody would are.

for a smartphone like this, I would never rest it on my shoulder, what if it falls?

charging, well, get a long reyractable charger.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    You won't get much support for your complaints here because everyone will claim the phone is perfect as is. But I definitely agree with you.

1) The problem for our two Pre's (and I've also seen others complain of this) is that when you put it on your shoulder then for some reason the mic gets screwed up and you sound like a robot.

BTW. Yelling out Bluetooth and Headset is not the answer. The Pre has poor battery life so I turn off bluetooth, and even though I use the earbuds 90% of my calls, it tends to get tangled and many times the slowness of the phone shoots them to voicemail after only 2 audible rings.

2) USB plug is definitely in the wrong place. I mount it in my car and that plug simply gets in the way. But also, this is the first phone I've EVER owned that I can't charge blindfolded. The microUSB is either upside down or (on my broken phone) actually goes UNDER the USB port because the door broke off months ago.
    The phone on the shoulder thing is a little annoying. Sometimes, when you're at home and doing stuff, it would be nice to be able to use your phone on your shoulder. That's a no-go with the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    You won't get much support for your complaints here because everyone will claim the phone is perfect as is. But I definitely agree with you.

1) The problem for our two Pre's (and I've also seen others complain of this) is that when you put it on your shoulder then for some reason the mic gets screwed up and you sound like a robot.

BTW. Yelling out Bluetooth and Headset is not the answer. The Pre has poor battery life so I turn off bluetooth, and even though I use the earbuds 90% of my calls, it tends to get tangled and many times the slowness of the phone shoots them to voicemail after only 2 audible rings.

2) USB plug is definitely in the wrong place. I mount it in my car and that plug simply gets in the way. But also, this is the first phone I've EVER owned that I can't charge blindfolded. The microUSB is either upside down or (on my broken phone) actually goes UNDER the USB port because the door broke off months ago.
    I don't think the Pre is perfect. Far from it. However, you have to understand that you can only do so much for the design. If you want the phone to be small and pocketable, then it is going to be hard to hold on your shoulder. And is it really unreasonable to think that many people have a bluetooth headset these days?

As far as the charger port goes, charging the phone while driving means your charger will be on the right (in the US at least). I don't know of any cars that have a 12V charger on the left of the driver. In addition it gives more incentive to buy a Touchstone, which helps palm make money so they can make WebOS better.

1) Never a problem for me, also use a BT alot.

2) Use a TS charger at home/work/car, so really not an issue with me.
    Last edited by netwrkr9; 01/06/2010 at 02:57 PM. Reason: spelling
    As others have said, I don't think you're going to have much success designing a small phone like this that can comfortably be held this way (and yes, I know that "people have only been doing this for 50 years", but during almost all of that 50 years, I've seen office recommendations against doing it, and devices bigger than the Pre as add-ons to make it possible.

That said, and I know others have recommended for (and against) this, but consider a Blue Tooth device. This one works great on my Pre, and gives me the added convenience of being able to listen to music in stereo. (Amazon had it at $32 for a long time, but I must have recommended it one time too many, their price has gone up.)

On this one I tend to agree, but I'm not so sure it got "botched", I think it was more they put it where they could make it fit well.

And, for the naysayer(s) on here, the recommendations have nothing to do with believing the Pre is somehow "perfect", they have to do with facing the reality that the device is what it is, and you can either learn how to use it as it is, or not.
    I'm not claiming the pre is perfect, but come on, think about it, have you ever tried resting an iPhone between your head and shoulder? Most phones now don't accommodate for that type of phone use bc of 2 reasons:

1. If you are at a desk and need to use both hands, you have speakerphone.

2. Bluetooth, as was mentioned above, is a common solution now, and is a heck of a lot better for your neck!
    Last edited by sil3ntoblivion; 01/06/2010 at 03:53 PM. Reason: sp.
    they didnt design it for you only
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    I disagree with the OP, even as a whiner/ranting pre owner myself.
    There are some design flaws that are ridiculous but these aren't at all.

As for charging and talking at the same time, you should really stop doing that.
    Quite a few of my batteries on different phones were murdered by using voice and charging at the same time.
  18.    #18  
    While I'd venture to say the majority of Pre users put the phone to their left ear (as the majority are right handed), I'll concede that is not a HUGE issue. Charging port would normally be on the bottom, but with the sliding keyboard, that would cause issues.

But for all those screaming "bluetooth" - are you basically admitting that the phone ease of use "de-volved" with the Pre?

I'm sure there's some out there that have never used anything but speakerphone or bluetooth, but there's many (including myself) that are plenty capable of balancing a phone between the ear and shoulder when needing their hands for something. The fact that this flaw made it through QA is ridiculous... Every cell phone I've ever had, including previous Palm devices, have never had a problem with this simple concept.

But if I'm in my car and I want to grab some groceries and stay on the phone? Instead of just quickly resting the phone on my ear for a bit, I need to bust out a bluetooth headset and put it on?

When I'm on the phone and I want to shoot a quick email out on my PC? Gotta grab the bluetooth headset!

It's a design flaw, and a major one.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    What you need to do is get some football pads and put them on. Then buy one of the suction cup holders that stick to the windshield and attach the phone, then stick it to the shoulder pads. Adjust to fit your ear and you are set to go.

Bluetooths are inexpensive these days and worth money when you then would be able to use the phone and have your hands free for the groceries or ***gasp*** driving hands free.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    The phone on the shoulder thing is a little annoying. Sometimes, when you're at home and doing stuff, it would be nice to be able to use your phone on your shoulder. That's a no-go with the Pre.
    I agree completely. I thought I was the only person who notice this flaw...LOL!!