Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sethiathome View Post

I thought I replied to a guy talking about the Unreal Engine coming to webos for sure, now that android is out of the way .
    Oh, alrighty. Then, I'd say that although Zune's a possibility, doesn't Microsoft already have a different development platform for gaming on the Zune? I wouldn't be too terribly upset if this were true--I'm pretty committed to the Zune ecosystem and so I could probably get a Zune HD without being too upset.

I just want this to be for WebOS because I think Palm needs it more than Microsoft does for the Zune.

Update: I just remembered that Microsoft's keynote was yesterday. I think they would have announced the Unreal engine for Zune deal then. So, my post is rendered moot, I think.
    Last edited by wynand32; 01/07/2010 at 11:08 AM.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Since the Palm Press Event is today. I thought I'd make a public live blog for use to use while the event is live So we can chat live, while it's going on live, lol. Here is the invite URL. After you login, be sure to upload a avatar to you profile.

Behave though I can un-invite you as well.

Some tips, you can paste a photo URL and it displays the full image. You can also embed video. You can just post the generic youtube url and it will embed the video as well.

This even works from the Palm Pre web browser

Also the Live Blog will auto-close after 3 hours of inactivity. But I can reopen if you'd like.

Have fun.

Also is there a live stream of this event?
    2010 anyone?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Here is my prediction posted in another thread

There will be nothing earth shattering there. It will just be the Verizon / ATT announcement. Some more International carriers will be announced. WebOS 1.5 or 2.0 will be previewed with native SDK, Flash, Open GL, video recording and mostly stuff we know about.
    I mostly agree with you, except I think all of this stuff you mention is pretty close to "earth-shattering," at least compared to the current state of WebOS. If all of this comes, say, by the end of this month, then Palm will be largely at parity with the iPhone and Android in terms of features, will offer an even better development environment (Mojo + Ares + native SDK + SDL + sideloaded apps = many more options for a wider range of developers), and when coupled with the general elegance and usability of WebOS makes Palm a very viable platform.

Then, couple that with being on AT&T and Verizon and, hopefully, a better marketing campaign, and I think this announcement is a close second to last year's.

I just don't see a new hardware device as either important, or exciting.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I mostly agree with you, except I think all of this stuff you mention is pretty close to "earth-shattering," at least compared to the current state of WebOS. If all of this comes, say, by the end of this month, then Palm will be largely at parity with the iPhone and Android in terms of features, will offer an even better development environment (Mojo + Ares + native SDK + SDL + sideloaded apps = many more options for a wider range of developers), and when coupled with the general elegance and usability of WebOS makes Palm a very viable platform.

Then, couple that with being on AT&T and Verizon and, hopefully, a better marketing campaign, and I think this announcement is a close second to last year's.

I just don't see a new hardware device as either important, or exciting.
    I pretty much agree as well, that it'll be pretty earth-shattering for the masses to see some of this stuff.

Also, didn't someone notice some references to voice dialing in a couple files? Maybe they'll announce that as well.
    I care about 2 things and I think I will be pleased:
    1) GPU access for the OS itself to improve performance
    2) Video Recording

I just hope they announce it as coming this week and not "will be available in the first half of 2010"
    I'll also add, just for kicks: if Palm _doesn't_ announce all or most of what's been discussed here, if it ends up being just an announcement about Verizon and AT&T and then an overview of 1.3.5(.1) and the go-live of the Developer's Program as it's currently understood...

Then Palm has made a big, big mistake in presenting such things at CES. I've been one of Palm's biggest supporters here, and remain one--but, if their announcement doesn't address any of the major issues with WebOS (performance, lack of some key checkbox features, lack of developer access to key hardware components, etc.) then I'd have to change my rosy outlook. It would be better in that case for Palm to just let the partners make their announcements and stay quietly in the background.

I don't think this will happen, but it's worth mentioning, I think. As an analogy, I don't think Microsoft did themselves any favors even mentioning Windows Phone 6.5, and it's good for them that they had some other very positive things to talk about. Palm won't have that luxury.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    I care about 2 things and I think I will be pleased:
    1) GPU access for the OS itself to improve performance
    2) Video Recording

I just hope they announce it as coming this week and not "will be available in the first half of 2010"
    +1
    I'll also add, just for kicks: if Palm _doesn't_ announce all or most of what's been discussed here, if it ends up being just an announcement about Verizon and AT&T and then an overview of 1.3.5(.1) and the go-live of the Developer's Program as it's currently understood...

Then Palm has made a big, big mistake in presenting such things at CES. I've been one of Palm's biggest supporters here, and remain one--but, if their announcement doesn't address any of the major issues with WebOS (performance, lack of some key checkbox features, lack of developer access to key hardware components, etc.) then I'd have to change my rosy outlook. It would be better in that case for Palm to just let the partners make their announcements and stay quietly in the background.

I don't think this will happen, but it's worth mentioning, I think. As an analogy, I don't think Microsoft did themselves any favors even mentioning Windows Phone 6.5, and it's good for them that they had some other very positive things to talk about. Palm won't have that luxury.
    I really couldn't agree more. I have been getting pretty antsy of late waiting for some key features. But adding the guts for video recording and GPU access in the last 2 updates really makes me think they were building up to CES. I think actually it lends credence to the idea that they won't announce new hardware. They may have very well held on to some of these improvement specifically to make a splash at CES. I can't say I'd blame them for that.
    You didn't _actually_ go back and look, did you?

And I think you're mixing your measurements. "Two scoops" is the number of raisins in a box of Raisin Bran. You meant you don't know what "two squirts" are of, which I don't know either. Seems like you'd need to specify _something_, or who knows what you'll end up with.

By the way, is it 11:00am tomorrow morning yet?
    Yep, caught me, two squirts. They seem to know what I'm talking about. I think Starbucks has their own secret language that only coffee drinkers understand...
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Yep, caught me, two squirts. They seem to know what I'm talking about. I think Starbucks has their own secret language that only coffee drinkers understand...
    I think you're right, except: it's for just certain kinds of coffee drinkers. I learned to drink coffee in the U.S. Army, and so I've never learned to speak Starbucks nor to appreciate their high-brow product. Give me some black sludge, and I'm perfectly happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    They may have very well held on to some of these improvement specifically to make a splash at CES. I can't say I'd blame them for that.
    I'm mixed in this regard. One the one hand, yes, making a splash at CES is valuable and a smart move for Palm at this point. So, if they've held anything back for, say, a matter of a few weeks, then I agree. On the other hand, if they've been holding important capabilities back for months, I think they could have positioned themselves better by releasing those capabilities sooner.

This is all idle speculation, of course, which I suppose is to be expected in the last hour before the announcement. Can we just get this over with, please?
    RE; PALM CES 2010 EVENT:

is there a live stream?
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    RE; PALM CES 2010 EVENT:

is there a live stream?
    livestream.com/crunchgear should work but not at my office, so so sad.
    Good find!
    "Palm Developer website is down. If there was any doubt that development would be a big "part of today's CES presentation, it should be erased by now. "

Also, precentral live blog
    on the livestream.com/crunchgear site, the live view is a camera sitting there staring at a Polaroid sign....boring!!
    agree with OMGITSJORDAN: would like to see the Palm event
    Best quotes of the Palm event this far:

SFR Exec: "We go where the best smartphones are in the world. When we looked for smartphones we started in Cupertino, and ended up in Sunnyvale" "Why did Palm choose us? Because we're quite good. And that's not just typical french arrogance"
    oh snap our sites on

"11:19

dieterbohn:
    PRECENTRAL ON THE SCREEN, YO "

i lold
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast