Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Palm will release a 16gb Pre... and tease a hardware refresh for later this year.
    I agree with this as well. With an Apple iPhone 3GS 8GB being considered for release, Palm would be stupid to not release a 16GB Pre. It only makes good business sense considering the Droid on Verizon has an expansion slot for Micro SD and the top iPhone 3GS is way beyond that of 8GB
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Seriously, with the Nexus one in the market, the Palm needs to push out a Pre II based upon the snapdragon platform, using the same AMOLED screen technology (= better screen and battery life), in order to be competitive, certainly now Android is stressing its multi-task capabilities
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I'm leaning towards an all-WebOS and -carrier announcement. And that's not to minimize things, because I think Palm is going to have some very cool things to talk about.
    I am for it.
    We need PALM to sell many phones.

In general, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that by the time tomorrow is over, we'll have WebOS being the platform with the most numerous and flexible ways to develop/port applications for it.
    I am not sure this is a big deal.
    Announcing a cool new phone with larger screen and faster processor will finally do justice to the awesome WebOS. And that phone better be rock solid.
    I'm guessing (and hoping) for 1.4 including 2 things:
    *) GPU support for the GUI - making the whole device a lot snappier and faster.
    *) Announcement of flash 10.1 support

If they deliver that I'd be totaly happy, everything else can wait for me
    You know what would be crazy? If palm partnered with HTC to build them a phone. This would give Palm a lot more time to focus on WebOS. It would be an interesting move I think.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    You know what would be crazy? If palm partnered with HTC to build them a phone. This would give Palm a lot more time to focus on WebOS. It would be an interesting move I think.
    The phone would be nice, but HTC would want to dink around with the OS which would leave WebOs like unto Android with many active versions of the OS floating around. Not a really good busniness model.

Best to have full control over all aspects (a la Apple).
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    The phone would be nice, but HTC would want to dink around with the OS which would leave WebOs like unto Android with many active versions of the OS floating around. Not a really good busniness model.

Best to have full control over all aspects (a la Apple).
    Well, as far as I know, HTC didn't mess around with the OS in the Nexus One. But I agree that is would be good for Palm to control all aspects of the process. Just wish they had a bit more in the way of Man-Power.

Palm licensing webOS
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Is there going to be any exciting news for Sprint at CES??
    New phones etc..
    Does anyone think Sprint will get a refreshed phone at the same time? They wouldn't continue to be stuck with a non-Plus, 8gb model - would they?
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    Does anyone think Sprint will get a refreshed phone at the same time? They wouldn't continue to be stuck with a non-Plus, 8gb model - would they?
    They might, but they also might get first crack at a complete hardware refresh in June '10

If this were a fair world, Sprint will be getting an all new phone come June but i hope they don't announce that until right before the time comes.
    As Delmar O'Donnell said: "I'm with you fellas."
    I seriously hope they will announce that the palm pre is FINALLY coming to France.
    fingers crossed
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Well, as far as I know, HTC didn't mess around with the OS in the Nexus One. But I agree that is would be good for Palm to control all aspects of the process. Just wish they had a bit more in the way of Man-Power.
    For one thing, it would improve the build quality... You can complain all you want about HTC but I haven't heard of any massive cracking of screens, breaking off of parts or general design problems with any of their recent devices...

All they should do is keep their hands of the OS instead of trying to provide a uniform user experience for all of their devices
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    they are suppose to show of their first 4g phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmKing View Post
    Palm licensing webOS
    seems a bit early for that...
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I am not sure this is a big deal.
    Announcing a cool new phone with larger screen and faster processor will finally do justice to the awesome WebOS. And that phone better be rock solid.
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I've seen the argument on this forum--and I think it's fairly compelling--that what makes Apple so successful isn't how good (or, how meh) the iPhone's hardware is. It's the apps. Same with the Droid--for all their masculine, sci-fi shtick, what the Droid commercials showed was what the phone could do from an app perspective.

So, if Palm can make the case that WebOS is the most potent platform from an apps perspective, this should do more for them than coming out with exciting hardware. I simply don't believe that Palm's been held back by its hardware--most people likely don't come to forums like this before buying their phones and so wouldn't have heard all the complaints.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I've seen the argument on this forum--and I think it's fairly compelling--that what makes Apple so successful isn't how good (or, how meh) the iPhone's hardware is. It's the apps. Same with the Droid--for all their masculine, sci-fi shtick, what the Droid commercials showed was what the phone could do from an app perspective.

So, if Palm can make the case that WebOS is the most potent platform from an apps perspective, this should do more for them than coming out with exciting hardware. I simply don't believe that Palm's been held back by its hardware--most people likely don't come to forums like this before buying their phones and so wouldn't have heard all the complaints.
    +1

Still, I wouldn't mind some sexy new hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmKing View Post
    Palm licensing webOS
    Never going to happen. For those with a short memory, licensing out the original Palm OS led to some of the company's largest issues:

During the "good" years of Palm OS, licensing 'only' led to Palm being shown up by Sony on every single device.

During the bad years, licensing led to the biggest mistake in the company's history, spinning off the software end into a separate company so that licensees (who shortly after dropped Palm OS anyway) wouldn't have a disadvantage. This led to Palm having no control over the OS in their devices, and more importantly, huge stumbles such as Cobalt.
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast