Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 306
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    It's good to see a firm prediction from Hparsons. Not normal but welcome. I don't think there will be 2k apps by end of the month and if you're other predictions come true I don't think the analysts will react favorably. That does not mean these are not great improvements for developers and by extension consumers. It just that the wow factor is not there. Unless of course Palm can improve the way it markets/spins these capabilities/improvements to the analysts and general public.
    You and some other folks on forums such as this are looking for 'wow factor'. Analyst aren't looking for that. Just read any article on what analyst would like to hear from Palm and you'll likely see these themes repeated often:

    Expanded reach of distribution network - read more carriers
    Better advertising
    Attracting more developers for the expansion of the app catalog

    Those make money and adds more customers which could increase the stock price. The wow factor is achieved when someone uses a smartphone's operating system. Sure there is more work that needs to be done on that front and i'm sure Palm is doing that.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  2. #82  
    any1?
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    You and some other folks on forums such as this are looking for 'wow factor'. Analyst aren't looking for that. Just read any article on what analyst would like to hear from Palm and you'll likely see these themes repeated often:

    Expanded reach of distribution network - read more carriers
    Better advertising
    Attracting more developers for the expansion of the app catalog

    Those make money and adds more customers which could increase the stock price. The wow factor is achieved when someone uses a smartphone's operating system. Sure there is more work that needs to be done on that front and i'm sure Palm is doing that.
    you misquoted me. I never said I'm looking for the wow factor. I surmised that analysts might be looking for this. And of course I could be wrong (and you too).

    All the points you lay out below are tied to basic execution. That's another hurdle that Palm has to meet. In fact, that's the minimum expectations at this point.

    Of course without hitting those hurdles (distribution, marketing, developers), no wow factor will make a difference. But if execution is in place then analysts will ask for more...that's where the wow factor comes in.

    Please don't misquote me. It's ok for us to disagree but don't make me out to be what I'm not. Thanks.
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    It's good to see a firm prediction from Hparsons. Not normal but welcome. I don't think there will be 2k apps by end of the month and if you're other predictions come true I don't think the analysts will react favorably. That does not mean these are not great improvements for developers and by extension consumers. It just that the wow factor is not there. Unless of course Palm can improve the way it markets/spins these capabilities/improvements to the analysts and general public.
    Interesting that you think it's "not normal", I've made several. I dont' rant and rave about them and treat them as prophesy, but I make them (and why would anyone really care about how many I make anyway?). Nothing on my list is very "prophetic" - well, maybe the 2000 apps, but I suspect they've got some they've been holding close to their chest. Plus, I've been hearing some grumblings on Twitter from some Palm folks about all the extra work they've been doing lately. I think they're san****ging us.

    I don't think my list is all-inclusive though. I'm not imaginative enough for that. Had I made a prediction about Palm last year, I would have simply predicted a new device, not a new OS (it never occurred to me). I didn't make a prediction, because I had basically written Palm off, and was hoping to see something exciting from RIM. So much for either of those "predictions".

    I should also add, I didn't put advertising on my list. Rubenstein mentioned it, so I'm sure it'll be talked about as well.
    Last edited by hparsons; 01/06/2010 at 11:23 AM.
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Interesting that you think it's "not normal", I've made several. I dont' rant and rave about them and treat them as prophesy, but I make them (and why would anyone really care about how many I make?)

    I don't think my list is all-inclusive though. I'm not imaginative enough for that. Had I made a prediction about Palm last year, I would have simply predicted a new device, not a new OS (it never occurred to me). I didn't make a prediction, because I had basically written Palm off, and was hoping to see something exciting from RIM. So much for either of those "predictions".
    point well taken. Thanks.
  6. angiest's Avatar
    Posts
    933 Posts
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    Remember that the first half of 2010 runs through July. Don't get too excited just yet.
    And the public beta didn't come out last year, unless I completely missed it.
  7. #87  
    I used a search engine and came up with this:

    CrunchGear
  8. KarlD89's Avatar
    Posts
    124 Posts
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    #88  
    I don't know about streaming, but the palm talk will be ocurring at 7pm uk time
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    People want big screens.

    Big screens need horizontal sliders.

    Palm is digging its own grave by not doing this.
    I actually picked the Pre because I like a portrait slider, and I don't want a bigger screen. I like the form factor just fine. Fits in my pocket, the screen is nice and clear, and I can type just fine on the keyboard.

    And the size of the screen is not tied to the orientation anyway... I mean, why does a big screen mean you have to hold it sideways? It gives you a wider keyboard, but the screen can be big regardless.
  10. #90  
    Would be great to watch it Live.


    Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
  11. #91  
    what time zone is the 11 am Palm presentation? Vegas (pacific time zone)?
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    what time zone is the 11 am Palm presentation? Vegas (pacific time zone)?
    Pacific Time, yes.
  13. #93  
    +1
  14. #95  
    You would think with all the tech we have these days they would be able to stream this event but they wont bc thats what sells tickets whats inside
  15. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by o0otoxic View Post
    You would think with all the tech we have these days they would be able to stream this event but they wont bc thats what sells tickets whats inside
    You might want to checkout the post above yours.
  16. indyjoe's Avatar
    Posts
    66 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    #97  
    Engadget does a pretty decent liveblog every year. They are the "official" liveblog of CES.
  17. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by simossoft View Post
    I read this (below) for a second time and i ask me : Wich mobile company/platform hasn't yet his Press-Conference to show this stuff ? maybe Palm ?

    at AnandTech: Epic Demonstrates Unreal Engine 3 for the iPod Touch/iPhone 3GS

    They wrote:
    'I got together with Mark Rein last week and he showed me an Unreal Engine 3 tech demo running on a 3rd generation iPod Touch. The same Unreal Engine 3 that powers Gears of War 2, running on an iPod Touch. The engine also works on the iPhone 3GS, and Mark tells me that we’ll see it on another mobile platform at CES (hmm...).'
    Yes, great point. If it was going to be Android, I think the N1 announcement would have been the perfect/appropriate time. It won't be Symbian (!), nor Windows Mobile (seriously!), and that pretty much leaves WebOS. As far as I'm concerned, it's a foregone conclusion at this point.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  18. #99  
    Anyone have any speculations on whats to come on thursday? Heres what I got just off the top of the head, most of you are probably thinking the same thing.

    -1.4 update?
    -Video recording
    -Flash
    -Verizon Partnership
    -Updated hardware to release later this year?
    -Maybe some major developer partnerships revealed (Ie. Electronic Art??)
    -Maybe more native app development strides to be made (ie. new GPU APIs??)

    Like I said this is pure speculation so take all of it with a few grains of salt... Feel free to keep speculating!!! or just say what you want them to announce...
  19. #100  
    To your list, I'd add:

    1. News of the Unreal engine being ported to the Pre
    2. Voice recording/dialing
    3. A whole slew of apps actually released that have been waiting for Palm to provide some way to protect the source code

    I'd remove from your list:

    1. Updated hardware. Other than the small changes made for Verizon's version, I simply don't expect any hardware news.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions