Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516 LastLast
    I think voice commands are much more important than 3d games on Palm Pre.
    I hope Palm will include a voice dial or even a voice command function in 1.4.1 or 1.5.

Does anybody know if the GPU will unload the CPU for the graphical interface, e.g. when scrolling menus and so on?
    I realy dont like the iPhone, but menus on the iPhone are working much faster and smoother than on the Palm Pre.

And yes, I love my Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Stegerius View Post
    I think voice commands are much more important than 3d games on Palm Pre.
    For me, it's not as important, given the speed dial feature of the Pre. More importantly, I think the 3D Gaming and more robust apps are such an important feature for marketing of smartphones, while I'm not sure many people have voice dialing as a make-or-break feature while purchasing.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    HI, I think that now that the amount of APPs have met a vast enough number, a critical mass so to speak, I am sure we will see many more APPs, at a much faster rate.

Since the Palm Pre, Palm Pre Plus, Palm Pixi and Palm Pixi Plus, are technically able to voice dial, I am sure there will be an APP for it soon.

There is so much made of all of the APPs for the Iphone, however way too many of them are poorly executed, made for kids or just plain dumb.

After all, who the heck needs a APP to make rude bowel sounds, I can go an entire lifetime not wanting to download that one!

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Hi, BTW does the Iphone play 3D games, as the Palm Pre Plus does?? take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    For me, it's not as important, given the speed dial feature of the Pre. More importantly, I think the 3D Gaming and more robust apps are such an important feature for marketing of smartphones, while I'm not sure many people have voice dialing as a make-or-break feature while purchasing.
    I agree with this statement. Palm needs to make the Pre and Pixi looks like rock stars right now and part of that is being flashy. That is where 3D games come in. It gets people to pay attention, as does the video recording. This should get more phones into people's hands, which means more money for Palm, which then means more updates for us.

Also, I am hoping Verizon sinks a good bit of money advertising the Pre+. Like I could totally see a commercial where someone is playing NFS, and then gets a text message, pops into card view, does what needs to be done, and then get right back to playing his game. Eat your heart out iPhone.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I agree with this statement. Palm needs to make the Pre and Pixi looks like rock stars right now and part of that is being flashy. That is where 3D games come in. It gets people to pay attention, as does the video recording. This should get more phones into people's hands, which means more money for Palm, which then means more updates for us.

Also, I am hoping Verizon sinks a good bit of money advertising the Pre+. Like I could totally see a commercial where someone is playing NFS, and then gets a text message, pops into card view, does what needs to be done, and then get right back to playing his game. Eat your heart out iPhone.
    Ditto for me, Does anyone know if the iphone does 3d as of now??? take care, Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Ditto for me, Does anyone know if the iphone does 3d as of now??? take care, Jay
    The iPhone has done 3D gaming for a long time. As far as I know the Pre and iPhone are the only two phones that do full 3D gaming.
    Thank you, about the 3d info....I bet the Pre does it better. For all of the hoopla about the iphone, it's 2 biggest distractions are non user replaceable battery and no keyboard. I was very unpressed when I tried my friends I phone. The iphone's camera and video recording were so so.
    You do realize that these new Pre 3d games are all direct ports of iPhone versions, right?
    Not that I spend that much time comparing the Pre to the iPhone, but the Pre's ability to pause a game by minimizing its card and then quickly return beats the iPhone hands-down.

I was playing NFS the other day when I received notification of an interesting tweet. I paused the game, retweeted via Tweed, and then returned quickly and easily to the game without missing a beat. The iPhone simply can't do that.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Not that I spend that much time comparing the Pre to the iPhone, but the Pre's ability to pause a game by minimizing its card and then quickly return beats the iPhone hands-down.

I was playing NFS the other day when I received notification of an interesting tweet. I paused the game, retweeted via Tweed, and then returned quickly and easily to the game without missing a beat. The iPhone simply can't do that.
    good point
    Hardware-wise, the pre actually has a slower graphics processor than the iPhone. It has the same CPU, I think. However, the pre's GPU is still plenty fast to do what we want it to do, as we've seen.

Wynand, your point is to me the most important. We have multi-tasking, and they don't. However, it won't be long until Android and iPhone do, because otherwise, they'll be missing a great feature.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    I'm listening to the Engadget podcast and they were saying that htey would pick the Pre Plus over the Droid on verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi, BTW does the Iphone play 3D games, as the Palm Pre Plus does?? take care, Jay
    Finally, all webOS adopters and lovers can say 'YES!!' to that question! Need for Speed (LOVES IT!) Plays w/o a hiccup.....
    delli, I think you answered his question backwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    You do realize that these new Pre 3d games are all direct ports of iPhone versions, right?
    F##k da iPhone! We have games built for webOS, on our PDK. Y must u rain on our parade?! w-tf, smdh. Some people mannnn.....

I'm honestly sick of people comparing our device to what the "all-mighty" iphone has/does. Apple didnt create everything, moreso stole some of the technology that has been out there.

Apple created touchscreens, right? The iPhone was the 1st smartphone, right? They created the whole 'app-for-phones idea', right? They might have glorified them, but GTFOH!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dellibedaboss View Post
    F##k da iPhone! We have games built for webOS, on our PDK. Y must u rain on our parade?! w-tf, smdh. Some people mannnn.....

I'm honestly sick of people comparing our device to what the "all-mighty" iphone has/does. Apple didnt create everything, moreso stole some of the technology that has been out there.

Apple created touchscreens, right? The iPhone was the 1st smartphone, right? They created the whole 'app-for-phones idea', right? They might have glorified them, but GTFOH!!!
    You're clearly directing this at the wrong person. The only point I made is that someone asked "Can the iPhone do the 3D games that the Pre now has?" to which I replied that the games actually CAME from the iPhone.

Just because someone mentions it once in a while doesn't mean that they think that it's the godphone.
    Wow, anger management...
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtygreek View Post
    delli, I think you answered his question backwards.
    You are correct, sir! It's late... lol

@ilovedessert, yes the iphone can play 3D games, thank to its use of OpenGL. That (3D games, & OpenGL for that matter) have been features that the iPhone had that webOS did not.

With the GPU now enabled, and the discovery of OpenGL packets in the 1.3.5 update, the OS should get a bit smoother once they refine the coding and use the GPU for animation throughout the OS.

Since soooo many like to make the comparisons - what else dont we have that the iphone does? I know they dont have multitasking, lls