Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    ****ing bull****.

The verizon pre has twice as much RAM.

Thats why the demo wasnt lagging. Now im ****ed.

I'm still getting Too Many Cards errors with just one card open. Palm should be fixing their software to be more efficient.
    No error on mine. Love it.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    They were very sketchy about what they would tell me, particularly regarding differences between my Sprint-launched Pre, and the new Verizon one, other than double memory. They also implied, both in their demonstration room and the keynote, that the new 3D-gaming abilities of the original Pre may not be up to par with the Pre Plus.

And, of course, the usual questions you would want answered were replied with, "We can't discuss any possible future enhancements, blah, blah, blah."
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I am way late commenting about CES, but I have two lines of thoughts.

First, I wish I make more money or have one less kid, so I can switch to Verizon to get the better phone and afford the expensive plans. With two less kids, I would get a plan for tethering. Anyway, that's my dream. I wish Sprint wise up and allow people to tether. I am willing to pay for $5 more a month for it. I am sure I won't user it much, because Pre can do pretty much all I wanted. And my work requires much higher bandwidth than what 3G can provide.

The second is what do we want after 1.4? We pretty much got all our wishes in 1.4, Flash, GPU, native app, new PDK. I think Palm need to look a new device that has higher resolution to compete with Nexus. However, I don't think they need to hurry, because I really don't want to see an rushed product from them that is less usable. They should not be another "Android" phone. Palm also needs to perfect in some small areas. Language input for Chinese (iPhone has handwriting recognition), microphone API (it may already be there for native apps), more apps (It is great that they are putting out $1 million for best apps, I hope developers jump on it).
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Unless they address the general speed in 1.4 that's what I'll be left wanting. I'm hoping doubling the RAM on the Pre Plus isn't the 'solution' as it's no solution at all for current Pre owners.
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    It seems Palm likes to make major releases around the same time as major Apple announcements/releases. For instance the Pre launched a few days before the 3GS and the Pixi a few days before Apple's event last Fall. Now the Pre/Pixi Plus will launch on the 25th with Verizon which is a few days before the Jan 27th Apple announcement. I expect VZ to launch a major campaign around that time (and this might explain why VZ did not go for the nexus one right away).

So what does this all mean? First, I think WebOS 2.0 (which might include a new form factor), will launch around the same time that the next generation iphone (June/July timeframe). Second, and on a more downbeat note, I think Palm is still trying too hard to associate itself with Apple. There's no need for this. If Palm went after Blackberry head on it would make tremendous progress (with the right marketing of course). But this Apple battle is getting old and typically Apple manages to steal the spotlight from Palm anyway. This then reduces Palm's momentum and mindshare in the marketplace.

Am I off on this?
    Vote: Which is the better of the two, Need For Speed or Asphalt5? Looks like A5 has some crashing (no pun intended) issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksom View Post
    I am way late commenting about CES, but I have two lines of thoughts.

First, I wish I make more money or have one less kid, so I can switch to Verizon to get the better phone and afford the expensive plans. With two less kids, I would get a plan for tethering. Anyway, that's my dream. I wish Sprint wise up and allow people to tether. I am willing to pay for $5 more a month for it. I am sure I won't user it much, because Pre can do pretty much all I wanted. And my work requires much higher bandwidth than what 3G can provide.
    You'd pay 5 more? Trust me, V will charge much more than that. So would Sprint. This isn't a simple USB solution but turns your phone into a Mifi.

I would think 30 more per month at minimum..probably higher. Are the people who really want this willing to pay that?
    Now that we got things and delivery better than most expected, when will the complaining start again? I guess its just part of the game.

I can see why focus on games was a big deal ($9.99 each), Sprint, Palm, carriers, etc get a piece, nice boost to revs with little cost, I personally want to see Palm and Sprint succeed so Palm is still around and Sprint looks at lowering prices and really kicking other carriers arses.

Congrats to Palm for a great announcement. It also means Sprint doesn't have exclusivity any longer and they will have to try harder to get Palm's attention. Hope that will benefit us, assume the new carriers had to come up with sizeable orders and some cash. That should really pump cash into the WebOs development kitty and investment in future hardware for WebOS in future. All good.

Beachboy (Mommy's Little Angel)
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by ksom View Post
    I wish Sprint wise up and allow people to tether. I am willing to pay for $5 more a month for it. I am sure I won't user it much, because Pre can do pretty much all I wanted. And my work requires much higher bandwidth than what 3G can provide.
    Good luck with that. You know that tethering plans on other providers are around $30 per month, right? THEIR forums are filled with people showing how to get around that as well. The truth is, NOBODY in their right mind would ever use tethering as their only access to the Internet, but the ***** telcos are pricing it as if this is the case. It's something that you use when travelling in areas where you dont' have wifi on rare occasions, and should be priced as such (IOW, free, included with plan .... data is data, regardless of how you are using it). They don't get this, however.

So, back to your wish, tethering isn't a viable option for normal folks on ANY carrier, except maybe T-Mobile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    It seems Palm likes to make major releases around the same time as major Apple announcements/releases. For instance the Pre launched a few days before the 3GS and the Pixi a few days before Apple's event last Fall. Now the Pre/Pixi Plus will launch on the 25th with Verizon which is a few days before the Jan 27th Apple announcement. I expect VZ to launch a major campaign around that time (and this might explain why VZ did not go for the nexus one right away).

So what does this all mean? First, I think WebOS 2.0 (which might include a new form factor), will launch around the same time that the next generation iphone (June/July timeframe). Second, and on a more downbeat note, I think Palm is still trying too hard to associate itself with Apple. There's no need for this. If Palm went after Blackberry head on it would make tremendous progress (with the right marketing of course). But this Apple battle is getting old and typically Apple manages to steal the spotlight from Palm anyway. This then reduces Palm's momentum and mindshare in the marketplace.

Am I off on this?
    Since you asked, I think that, yes, you're off. I don't think Palm is doing anything at this point to directly compare themselves or associate themselves with Apple. I'm not assuming that Palm set the 1/25 date for release on Verizon--I'm guessing that Verizon is calling those shots. Now, perhaps _Verizon_ is trying to go against the iPhone, but Palm can't control that. In my opinion, other than the iTunes syncing, Palm didn't do anything to compare with Apple--that was all Sprint's doing.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wyand32
    If I'm not mistaken, EA has never been one to undercharge.
    Keep in mind, also, that while Palm has an incentive to give the games away, to gain customers, EA doesn't. While you might convince them to release a few demos that way, they're not going to do it for full games, because that's their bread and butter. You don't see Ford giving away cars just to whet people's appetites.
    RE: What to do after 1.4... Now that Palm has introduced flash & native app support making it easier for existing iPhone developers to port their applications over to WebOS, Palm might want turn their attention back over to core phone functionality for corporate users. Blackberry owns that market but in my opinion they are a much easier target than Apple currently is. If Palm could beef up its Exchange integration even more, that would go a long way (hello - let me schedule a meeting request from my Palm already).

...oh, and voice commands are next on my list. Voice dial is almost a must in some states.

As for the Mobile Hotspot application that was announced as an exclusive for Verizon, the way that it was worded, my guess is that there is nothing stopping other carriers (Sprint - I'm looking at you) from developing their own similar application for WebOS.

Lastly, my guess is that Palm will get most of the future performance enhancements by tweaking existing code to offload more work off of the CPU and onto the GPU.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by efmw117 View Post
    RE: What to do after 1.4... Now that Palm has introduced flash & native app support making it easier for existing iPhone developers to port their applications over to WebOS, Palm might want turn their attention back over to core phone functionality for corporate users. Blackberry owns that market but in my opinion they are a much easier target than Apple currently is. If Palm could beef up its Exchange integration even more, that would go a long way (hello - let me schedule a meeting request from my Palm already).

...oh, and voice commands are next on my list. Voice dial is almost a must in some states.
    This echos my thoughts exactly - better PIM functionality (tasks and memos are incredibly weak, and integrate poorly with Exchange). You can use 3rd party software like PocketMirror, but those won't update OTA unless your PC running Outlook is on the same wifi as your phone. What happens after 1.4 should tell us something about Palm's interest in this area.

I miss voice commands a lot. I've used it on dumb phones for years, and stepping down from that on smartphones is a real loss. I really don't understand why this is hard to do or takes so long to implement.
    It would be great to have something precise (such as an iTunes) to manage my music with. If Palm is working with Amazon (MP3) why don't they work with them to develop something similar and basic. It sounds good to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    It would be great to have something precise (such as an iTunes) to manage my music with. If Palm is working with Amazon (MP3) why don't they work with them to develop something similar and basic. It sounds good to me.
    I would be fine with them getting it to work with the Zune desktop software. I prefer it to Itunes and I'm sure that Microsoft wouldn't mind getting some additional users in their echosystem - even if it meant integrating with a competing mobile OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by efmw117 View Post
    I would be fine with them getting it to work with the Zune desktop software. I prefer it to Itunes and I'm sure that Microsoft wouldn't mind getting some additional users in their echosystem - even if it meant integrating with a competing mobile OS.
    +1

However, it is likely that WinMo 7 will do this, and I don't think MS would want any extra competition on the smartphone front. They have a long way to go, more than Palm did a year ago.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
    Keep in mind, also, that while Palm has an incentive to give the games away, to gain customers, EA doesn't. While you might convince them to release a few demos that way, they're not going to do it for full games, because that's their bread and butter. You don't see Ford giving away cars just to whet people's appetites.
    True, but they do offer test drives. Would have been nice if they offered a demo or two to get the games and potential in more customer's minds.
    a
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    ****ing bull****.

The verizon pre has twice as much RAM.

Thats why the demo wasnt lagging. Now im ****ed.

I'm still getting Too Many Cards errors with just one card open. Palm should be fixing their software to be more efficient.
    Whenever you get weirdness on the Pre, the first thing to do is reboot before you panic.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    First it seems that there the issue with the new games is from downloading it. If you download don't do anything else. Some people have said this works.

Second there was a story on here within the last few months that Sprint had a 120 model listed, which the Pre Plus is 121 for Verizon. I'm guessing by the end of February you will be able to get it on Sprint to. Also keep in mind that the Official New model which should come out this summer for Sprint should be loaded with better stuff. Bigger Cam, Faster Chip, more memory.

Third, Sprint is way cheaper.....................