Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I recently decided to try connecting to my computer via Bluetooth and with this connection I was able to surf the internet (at very fast speeds I might add) through my phone. Knowing this was not on my plan I didnt stay on long (.03/Kb will add up pretty fast). A week later I checked my bill from bell mobility and they had said that it was included in my plan. To be sure I called Bell and asked them, they said that no it was not an I must have gotten lucky.

I would like to know if anyone has ever done this and had bell (or even companies on the American side of the boarder) notice this midway through a billing period.

I can add 1GB of tethering for $45 but why when I already pay for 500mb a month and only use 15ish. I should be able to use my 500Megs anyway I want to.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    How did you managed to use Internet through bluetooth? Post the steps please.
    I have the same limit, 500mb. I never used more then 40mb/month.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
  3.    #3  
    All I did was bluetooth my computer and I seen it was connected to the internet, so I decided to try to connect to the Net and it worked. I do have my computer setup for networking (windows 7) so maybe I inadvertently changed some networking settings that let me do this... ill try it again here now to see if it still works (the phone updated last night).
  4.    #4  
    Yes it still works... I turn on the bluetooth on the phone, go to my bluetooth window in my computer, select connect using an access point.. and that's it.

It works awesome, I just dont want to have a expensive phone bill at the end of the month, I guess Ill just have to keep an eye on it and see.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Let me call Bell and ask them, I will use that feature for sure my laptop.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
  6.    #6  
    I sat on the phone with them for about 40 mins yesterday and the only thing he could say is I got lucky. Bell uses a program called Mobile Connect that allows them to track usage apparently, and I think im getting around it because I am not running the data through that application.

Either way, let me know what you find out

Mitch
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    lol you told them you were tethering?
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    first of all im on sprint and use my tethering almost exclusively never been charged anything extra.im on the everything plan. so use as much as you like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitco39 View Post
    Yes it still works... I turn on the bluetooth on the phone, go to my bluetooth window in my computer, select connect using an access point.. and that's it.

It works awesome, I just dont want to have a expensive phone bill at the end of the month, I guess Ill just have to keep an eye on it and see.
    Strange, my computer says my Pre does not support network access point.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitco39 View Post
    Either way, let me know what you find out

Mitch
    I got off the phone with a Bell rep. I told him: hey yesterday I connected my Pre to my laptop and to my surprise, I could browse the Internet. Can you let me know what is the cost and what is the usage I made? After one hour of hold and deliberation, they were not able to tell me that I never used the bluethooth connexion. The funny part would of been to tell me that I used the link for an hour, heh.

Anyways, I'm convinced they have no way to track it, orelse they would telling me that I had zero usage at 0.03$/mb.
    Last edited by T3CK; 01/06/2010 at 01:24 PM.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiako View Post
    lol you told them you were tethering?
    He is not tethering with mytether, he is using a default bluetooth connexion.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Strange, my computer says my Pre does not support network access point.
    Weird... It works perfectly fine for me... even after a few updates. I dont know what the difference is, My phone has never been cracked (whatever its called) so it will be the same as everyone elses.

I am still running an RTC of 7... Ill try it on my other computer that does have the final release of Windows 7 and see if that connects to it.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by T3CK View Post
    I got off the phone with a Bell rep. I told him: hey yesterday I connected my Pre to my laptop and to my surprise, I could browse the Internet. Can you let me know what is the cost and what is the usage I made? After one hour of hold and deliberation, they were not able to tell me that I never used the bluethooth connexion. The funny part would of been to tell me that I used the link for an hour, heh.

Anyways, I'm convinced they have no way to track it, orelse they would telling me that I had zero usage at 0.03$/mb.
    Yea, the guy sounded like he didnt believe me. I have it on my bill (I cant post it up because i dont have 10 posts) and it shows it as data transfer, but it says its in my plan.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    I think it works only with win7, they improved the networking. I have vista will try it tonight.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
  15.    #15  
    When i get 10 posts ill post up some pictures of it connected to my computer
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    even it they can trace it, 500mb is $15. Worth experimenting.
    you can post links, post them as text.

_http://www.yqed.com
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by T3CK View Post
    even it they can trace it, 500mb is $15. Worth experimenting.
    That is true... and if it works out why not just get a 1gb data plan My girlfriend actually has the unlimited data plan, before they cut that idea
  18.    #18  
    Edit***
  19.    #19  
    10 Posts...lol
  20.    #20  

Let the pics speak for themselves
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast