Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'm pretty sure that counts in your 500mb data usage. At least that's how the iPhone tethering works with Bell.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Another easy way to get the data usage is to text any word to: TCARE
    Try it, is fun, type tcare as phone for your sms.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitco39 View Post
    Weird... It works perfectly fine for me... even after a few updates. I dont know what the difference is, My phone has never been cracked (whatever its called) so it will be the same as everyone elses.

I am still running an RTC of 7... Ill try it on my other computer that does have the final release of Windows 7 and see if that connects to it.
    Dang still stuck with WinXP.
    Quote Originally Posted by T3CK View Post
    I think it works only with win7, they improved the networking. I have vista will try it tonight.
    I have windows 7 and it doesn't work for me - the pre doesn't support any services over BT except audio. I'm still on 1.3.1 here in the UK though so maybe it is something new with 1.3.5.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I can confirm this does infact work with Sprint and Windows 7. Windows connects to and pairs with the Pre via Bluetooth. But! an error pops up on the Pre saying something along the lines of This account is not authorized for internet sharing. Bummer, guess you'll have to stick with MyTether.
  6.    #26  
    Ill let you guys know when I get to try it out on another computer... maybe its a bug with the RC version of windows 7?
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Works perfectly in Vista. Just use the connection wizard to connect to a Bluetooth personal area network (PAN). Is the last option on the list. Once the wizard completed, you will see the new network:

I'm posting this on my laptop, using the above listed connection.
    I'm wondering if using a specific Bluetooth connection type will make it detectable to Bell.

I will upgrade my laptop to Win7 next week so that should take care of the eventual issues. I'm glad I still had Vista, so I would be able to post this info. I will post next time I get my bill to see if they charged me the 0.03/MB deal. That will confirm the PAN network theory.

This should work on Sprint also, not just Bell.
    Last edited by T3CK; 01/06/2010 at 07:32 PM.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
  8.    #28  
    I just have been checking my unbilled info on the bell website to make sure that the data continues to go on my data plan.

Goodluck

Mitch
    This is cool, I'm going to have to try this!
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    So in summary...it works but only on Bell and Windows 7?
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Read post #27.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    So, anyone know if this works on Sprint in the USA? If so, looks like MyThether may no longer be needed...especially since Aoinic still hasnt fixed the wifi stuff properly ad he's totally ignoring any/all requests for information on when it will be fixed.
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    When I resigned my contract to get my pre, I noticed a statement that my unlimited data plan (i had one before it was killed) was 'on device usage only' or something to that effect and there was crazy high rate for off device usage.

I'll try and dig that up, I couldnt find it in the online TOS.

On the other hand - not sure how they would detect tethering anyways...

Andrew

Found my contract:

"if you use your device as a modem ("Tethering") to connect to a pc or othert device you will be charged additional transport charges at bell's current per kilobyte transport rates"

"...data transport charges (today $0.05/kb) ...."

5 cents per kilobyte = $50/mb +-

this was in bold on the last page of my TOS.
    Last edited by kahless2k; 01/06/2010 at 08:45 PM. Reason: found my contract
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StormChaser View Post
    So, anyone know if this works on Sprint in the USA?
    You can try it... BTW, it will work.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon2058 View Post
    I can confirm this does infact work with Sprint and Windows 7. Windows connects to and pairs with the Pre via Bluetooth. But! an error pops up on the Pre saying something along the lines of This account is not authorized for internet sharing. Bummer, guess you'll have to stick with MyTether.
    I'm getting the same thing trying it with XP Pro. It connects and allows enough data to load Google, but then the error message pops up and it cuts off the connection.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Try this: setup a Bluetooth connection (PAN), using the Windows wizard. Is this how you connected? This might be available only in Vista/Win7.
    Also, the trick is to see a little globe next to your device:

That means you can tether. If you touch the globe on your phone screen, the connection will be seized and globe will disappear. Is a security measure in WebOS.

Basically, once you see the globe, leave the phone alone and you are OK. The phone can go in standby mode, you will be able to browse the Net. Let me know if it works.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T3CK View Post
    Try this: setup a Bluetooth connection (PAN), using the Windows wizard. Is this how you connected? This might be available only in Vista/Win7.
    Also, the trick is to see a little globe next to your device:

That means you can tether. If you touch the globe on your phone screen, the connection will be seized and globe will disappear. Is a security measure in WebOS.

Basically, once you see the globe, leave the phone alone and you are OK. The phone can go in standby mode, you will be able to browse the Net. Let me know if it works.
    Here is the error you get when trying to do this with a Sprint Pre. You can get a Bluetooth PAN connection but as soon as you start using data this error pops up and the internet connection is cut off. This same error also pops up when using My Tether via Bluetooth, but you can just hit OK and you don't lose the connection.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Make sure you create the PAN on your PC with a generated key, that you enter manually on your Pre. I entered a paired key on my Pre and the connection was established. Then after a bit, the connection died and on my laptop it showed the X network symbol.

On my laptop, I went to the Bluetooth connection and reconnected, without touching anything on my Pre. Actually, I have no idea if I got any error message on my phone, the screen was black.

Once you enter your paired key, set the phone aside and don't touch it anymore, let it die, don't use gestures or do any activity on it just to see what is going on on the screen.
    If your Internet connection dies on the laptop, reconnect on the laptop only without touching the phone:

Let me know if you can share the connection.
    It is something simple we are missing.

EDIT: I think you are right, just checked this on Sprint agreement:
    Phone as modem or tethering: not included.
    Last edited by T3CK; 01/06/2010 at 09:35 PM.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
  19.    #39  
    Well im glad this worked for other people , Its just one has to keep an eye on the usage because it will get expensive fast if they start charging you.
    I'm working with vista and can't find the wizard to setup the PAN
    please help.
    thanks David
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast