1.    #1  
    i'm planning to give my current pre to my girl in another country (Dom Rep) and get a new one here in the States. When the phone gets disconnected from sprint, can i still get the next webos updates over wi-fi?
    Probably not but you could always Webdr it to the newer version via a PC.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jovanny27 View Post
    i'm planning to give my current pre to my girl in another country (Dom Rep) and get a new one here in the States. When the phone gets disconnected from sprint, can i still get the next webos updates over wi-fi?
    I know you can update a Pre over WiFi with no Sprint service. Not sure about being in another country tho...
  4.    #4  
    wow. great idea ! thanks
    wow. great idea ! thanks
    The standard WebOS Doctor won't work since it requires Sprint service to get passed the first screen. Look into MetaDoctor. It's alot of work and not for the average user.
    Finally a question I can help with! Yes you can update while disconnected with wifi and in another country. While returning from a tour in afghanistan, I stopped in kyrgystan and pulled out my phone just to use the wifi, I accidentally opened up the update icon and up popped update 1.3.5 so I downloaded it while on the wifi and it worked.
  7.    #7  
    Great news to hear that! that's what i thought.. is a palm update not a sprint service !
    Great news to hear that! that's what i thought.. is a palm update and not a sprint service !
    If I were you, I would modify a copy of WebOS Doctor to bypass activation and send it down to your girl with the Pre. You know, just in case lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    If I were you, I would modify a copy of WebOS Doctor to bypass activation and send it down to your girl with the Pre. You know, just in case lol.
    Any insight on how to accomplish that?
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    Any insight on how to accomplish that?
    Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals

Patch webOS Bypassing Activation - WebOS Internals
    Thank you! I was looking for something along these lines a few weeks back. I am thinking about activating my Hero again and just using my Pre with wifi.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    Thank you! I was looking for something along these lines a few weeks back. I am thinking about activating my Hero again and just using my Pre with wifi.
    The Pre works great as a WiFi device. The only things that don't work are Sprint TV and making/receiving phone calls. You can even use Google Voice or AOL Instant Messenger to send and receive texts. Also, you get great battery life with the phone in Airplane Mode with WiFi on.