Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I read the forums here on a daily basis sometimes many times a day. Some complaints and whining I find legit. Some of those for example would be those that are on their 3rd Pre or more due to whatever issue that might have been. Another legitimate complaint would be those that may have had problems with lost contacts due to Palm Profile losing contacts (I was one of them myself). And another complaint that is legit could be the lack of use of the GPU etc (which will change)

However some complaints as well as predictions of the downfall of Palm are just absolutely ridiculous. I believe we have the best OS on the market myself and that there are many positives. Do I believe that our Palm Pre's are perfect? No. Do I believe that any of the phones out there whether it be the Iphone, misc Android, Windows (lol), Symbian based phones, etc etc etc are perfect? No. Every phone out their has some flaw that we can find. And the people here that go on endless rants can find a flaw(s) on any phone out there. And I must say that if you are unhappy then just go somewhere else. However when I am sure that when those with endless rants about the Pre or Palm in general will just end up ranting on some other forum...lol.

Their are complaints about lack of applications with comparisons usually to the Iphone. Do we forget that when Apple first came out with the Iphone that it began with about 500 applications? Do we also forget that the Palm Pre is in its first generation? Do I believe that we could use more applications? Of course. But we need to have some patience as well. Do I believe that our patience should go on forever? Absolutely not. Do we need to have as many apps as Apple has? I personally don't believe so. And it kills me (I laugh) when Apple touts the fact that they have all these Apps and uses that as a major selling point. Many of those Apps are pointless apps from farting apps to many others. Also a vast majority of their Apps are game related apps that I believe most of us (I could be wrong) are not the most the most importance. And lets not forget that many of these apps on the Iphone are really nothing more than bookmarks that we already have on our browser anyways...lol.

Another complaint is the lack of Flash. Their are countless phones out there that don't have Flash including the so called "jesus phone" we all know as the Iphone. In fact ole Steve Jobs partially snubbed Adobe and wants to have flash built into his apps vs the browser. I don't know about you...but I would rather have flash while browsing the web than having to use an App only to utilize Flash. We will have Flash...but we need to try to remain patient.

Another rant that always kill me is that Palm is going to be out of business by this date or that date. First...I believe personally that if that was to even be a possibility that it would be picked up by somebody like the oftened rumoured Nokia, Microsoft, etc. And another thing related to this rant is that Palm has such a small "market share" compared to the "others". How much of the "market" do they have to have to make a profit and to be successful is beyond me. But I dont believe they have to have the largest market share to be successful. Before the oh so glorious Iphone, I believe that Apple was doing just fine with their small market share with their computers. And things change all the time. For example...just the other day I read a story about the Chrome Browser from Google surpassing Safari's Browser in use. And that's pretty significant when you consider that it has been in Beta most of its very short life no matter how much of a goliath Google itself is.

I also here about all that is missing from our phone including what I have already mentioned as far as Flash or Apps. We should consider ourselves very lucky to have all the guys from Canuck, WebOS Internals, and all the other Homebrew guys/gals. Their are many platforms out there that do not have this community. I personally would like to thank all these guys/gals for all of their hard work. And if we can support them when we can in this economy with a donation here and there I am sure they would be as grateful to us as we are to them. Do they enhance the phone perhaps where Palm should have already? Of course. I am not sure who I am quoting or whether I am typing the quote correctly but here it go's..."IT WAS NOT DONE IN ONE DAY".

I believe there is a difference between "constructive criticism" and a "full on rant" Some of it is lack of patience. If you are so unhappy that all you can do is fill the forums with rants then perhaps you should find another phone. Is the Pre perfect? No. Is any other platform perfect? No. However IMHO I believe that the Pre has many more positives than negatives by far. Unfortunately we live in a world where people expect "immediate gratification". And no matter where you go if you one day decide to head to another platform, "immeadiate gratification" as a whole is not going to be possible 100% of the time as many seem to expect. I am sure I have missed a few examples of rants that are great examples of those expecting "immeadiate gratification" as well as those that just have no patience at all. In fact as I close here I am sure some of them will post on this thread as well...lol.
    LOL-- Another rant about ranters, complaining about complainers.
    Wall of text.... **head explodes**
    Quote Originally Posted by ferriskeanu View Post
    I read the forums here on a daily basis sometimes many times a day. Some complaints and whining I find legit. Some of those for example would be those that are on their 3rd Pre or more due to whatever issue that might have been. Another legitimate complaint would be those that may have had problems with lost contacts due to Palm Profile losing contacts (I was one of them myself). And another complaint that is legit could be the lack of use of the GPU etc (which will change)

However some complaints as well as predictions of the downfall of Palm are just absolutely ridiculous. I believe we have the best OS on the market myself and that there are many positives. Do I believe that our Palm Pre's are perfect? No. Do I believe that any of the phones out there whether it be the Iphone, misc Android, Windows (lol), Symbian based phones, etc etc etc are perfect? No. Every phone out their has some flaw that we can find. And the people here that go on endless rants can find a flaw(s) on any phone out there. And I must say that if you are unhappy then just go somewhere else. However when I am sure that when those with endless rants about the Pre or Palm in general will just end up ranting on some other forum...lol.

Their are complaints about lack of applications with comparisons usually to the Iphone. Do we forget that when Apple first came out with the Iphone that it began with about 500 applications? Do we also forget that the Palm Pre is in its first generation? Do I believe that we could use more applications? Of course. But we need to have some patience as well. Do I believe that our patience should go on forever? Absolutely not. Do we need to have as many apps as Apple has? I personally don't believe so. And it kills me (I laugh) when Apple touts the fact that they have all these Apps and uses that as a major selling point. Many of those Apps are pointless apps from farting apps to many others. Also a vast majority of their Apps are game related apps that I believe most of us (I could be wrong) are not the most the most importance. And lets not forget that many of these apps on the Iphone are really nothing more than bookmarks that we already have on our browser anyways...lol.

Another complaint is the lack of Flash. Their are countless phones out there that don't have Flash including the so called "jesus phone" we all know as the Iphone. In fact ole Steve Jobs partially snubbed Adobe and wants to have flash built into his apps vs the browser. I don't know about you...but I would rather have flash while browsing the web than having to use an App only to utilize Flash. We will have Flash...but we need to try to remain patient.

Another rant that always kill me is that Palm is going to be out of business by this date or that date. First...I believe personally that if that was to even be a possibility that it would be picked up by somebody like the oftened rumoured Nokia, Microsoft, etc. And another thing related to this rant is that Palm has such a small "market share" compared to the "others". How much of the "market" do they have to have to make a profit and to be successful is beyond me. But I dont believe they have to have the largest market share to be successful. Before the oh so glorious Iphone, I believe that Apple was doing just fine with their small market share with their computers. And things change all the time. For example...just the other day I read a story about the Chrome Browser from Google surpassing Safari's Browser in use. And that's pretty significant when you consider that it has been in Beta most of its very short life no matter how much of a goliath Google itself is.

I also here about all that is missing from our phone including what I have already mentioned as far as Flash or Apps. We should consider ourselves very lucky to have all the guys from Canuck, WebOS Internals, and all the other Homebrew guys/gals. Their are many platforms out there that do not have this community. I personally would like to thank all these guys/gals for all of their hard work. And if we can support them when we can in this economy with a donation here and there I am sure they would be as grateful to us as we are to them. Do they enhance the phone perhaps where Palm should have already? Of course. I am not sure who I am quoting or whether I am typing the quote correctly but here it go's..."IT WAS NOT DONE IN ONE DAY".

I believe there is a difference between "constructive criticism" and a "full on rant" Some of it is lack of patience. If you are so unhappy that all you can do is fill the forums with rants then perhaps you should find another phone. Is the Pre perfect? No. Is any other platform perfect? No. However IMHO I believe that the Pre has many more positives than negatives by far. Unfortunately we live in a world where people expect "immediate gratification". And no matter where you go if you one day decide to head to another platform, "immeadiate gratification" as a whole is not going to be possible 100% of the time as many seem to expect. I am sure I have missed a few examples of rants that are great examples of those expecting "immeadiate gratification" as well as those that just have no patience at all. In fact as I close here I am sure some of them will post on this thread as well...lol.
    Forum: A medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper, a radio or television program, or a website.

You sound like you have opinions. You should respond in the appropriate threads though.
    Did you have to quote the WHOLE post?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Actually I would call it "constructive criticism". There is a difference. Although I expected responses such as yours and respect your opinion which isn't a rant as of yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Forum: A medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas...........
    Quote Originally Posted by ferriskeanu View Post
    Actually I would call it "constructive criticism". There is a difference. Although I expected responses such as yours and respect your opinion which isn't a rant as of yet.
    It's ok. I don't rant as much as i used to.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 01/06/2010 at 10:29 AM.
    Part of the problem is that stock bashers from forums like yahoo's palm stock messages actively refer to Precentral threads as examples of problems/issues/etc. In many cases they are posting their own bogus threads here and using them as examples on stock forums.

Its sad that people are unhappy feel that they have to post.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    Sorry...didn't want to injure anybody.
    I don't rant much anymore either. I did poke fun at 1.3.5.1 but people are so tense around here..lol Give me my bigger screen high end hardware and i'll fall back in line.
  12.    #12  
    My apologies to starting this thread in the wrong section. Wasn't my intention as I try to find the proper section whenever I have posted threads in the past. Thank you for your understanding.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    Did you have to quote the WHOLE post?
    Quoting just a segment would require actually reading it. And nobody wants to read a "Wall of Text".
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    +1
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    +1
    -1....there is a difference between "constructive criticism" on a subject vs. a "rant". "Constructive criticism" has the ability to show the negatives and positives while the "full on rants" for the most part are exclusively negative. But then again not everybody knows the difference. So I must respectfully disagree with you.
    What was the constructive criticism again? All I could find was the OP telling those who disagree with him to go away.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Forum: A medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper, a radio or television program, or a website.

You sound like you have opinions. You should respond in the appropriate threads though.
    Or start one of his own.

Ooops.... nevermind....
    I would comment but I don't want to rant in an forum on the net.
    ++++++
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    People are unhappy with the phone and they have every right to be unhappy with it. Stop trying to tell them that they are not giving palm a chance or other phones had the same problem.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast