1. wkj
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Tried searching for this...

It seems when lightly pressing on the top half of my Pre (slider closed, screen off/locked) causes the screen to come on (as if pressing the power button).

I can live with it if I have to. It's just annoying when taking out the phone from a shirt pocket (grabbing the top of the phone between thumb and forefinger) and having the screen come on.

Is this a common occurance as I didn't find any complaints while searching? And should it be covered by TEP or warranty? If it's covered I'll take it in although I'll be upgrading in March anyway.

I got the phone on Craigslist and want to check manufacture date, refurb status., etc.....anyone have the code handy? I forgot it.

Thanks for the help!

wkj
    This just started happening to me yesterday! My phone's from Sprint/June.
    Quote Originally Posted by wkj View Post
    Tried searching for this...

It seems when lightly pressing on the top half of my Pre (slider closed, screen off/locked) causes the screen to come on (as if pressing the power button).

I can live with it if I have to. It's just annoying when taking out the phone from a shirt pocket (grabbing the top of the phone between thumb and forefinger) and having the screen come on.

Is this a common occurance as I didn't find any complaints while searching? And should it be covered by TEP or warranty? If it's covered I'll take it in although I'll be upgrading in March anyway.

I got the phone on Craigslist and want to check manufacture date, refurb status., etc.....anyone have the code handy? I forgot it.

Thanks for the help!

wkj
    WebOS Specific Hash Codes - WebOS Internals

My random, off the cuff guess is that either you have something stuck under your power switch at the top and it needs to be cleaned out, or you got some crud inside your case near the top that is causing that power switch to be extremely "touchy".
    +1
    on the cleaning.
    Sorry to hear you have that problem. Best I can say is don't do that. It's kind of like sticking a fork in your eye. It hurts, so you don't do that. Well, maybe not like a fork.
    Ditto on this happening to me.
  6. wkj
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zullnero View Post
    WebOS Specific Hash Codes - WebOS Internals

My random, off the cuff guess is that either you have something stuck under your power switch at the top and it needs to be cleaned out, or you got some crud inside your case near the top that is causing that power switch to be extremely "touchy".
    Thanks for the link. Reverse Logistics is what I was looking for.

Activation date is June '09 and refurb date was August '09. i've only had it since December so maybe I'll take it into a corporate store and see if I can get an exchange or fixed.

wkj
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    +1
    on the cleaning.
    Sorry to hear you have that problem. Best I can say is don't do that. It's kind of like sticking a fork in your eye. It hurts, so you don't do that. Well, maybe not like a fork.
    How would you recommend cleaning it?

and btw... its about impossible not to grab the phone from a pocket without it happening.

Thanks for the help!
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    This happens to me as well now that you mention it.

Also, there have been times that I haven't been able to turn off the screen using the power button. It just comes back on. I've had to open the phone and close it before it'll work again. I suspect it's the same issue..
    Any chance Sprint will help us out with the problem?
  10. wkj
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Went to a service center today and they will send a replacement.....should be here tomorrow or Monday.

Ya gotta laugh at their techs. I showed the CSR the problem and she took it in back to the tech. Half hour later the tech comes out and said he replaced the battery and all was good. I showed surprised at this (being pretty sure it wasn't the battery), but let it slide. As I took the phone from the tech, the problem occurred again...for him to.

Back to the back he goes then comes out and says they have no parts to fix it...ordered a replacement.

Anyway, if you're having the same problem, take your phone in and get it replaced.

wkj

p.s. Yes I have TEP.
    Quote Originally Posted by wkj View Post
    Went to a service center today and they will send a replacement.....should be here tomorrow or Monday.

Ya gotta laugh at their techs. I showed the CSR the problem and she took it in back to the tech. Half hour later the tech comes out and said he replaced the battery and all was good. I showed surprised at this (being pretty sure it wasn't the battery), but let it slide. As I took the phone from the tech, the problem occurred again...for him to.

Back to the back he goes then comes out and says they have no parts to fix it...ordered a replacement.

Anyway, if you're having the same problem, take your phone in and get it replaced.

wkj

p.s. Yes I have TEP.

Thanks for being the Guinne pig. I'll post my response shortly. From my experience with the sprint store I go to, they usually say, "unless it effects the use of the phone we can't do anything."

So we'll see.
    K.

Just got back from Sprint.

Ordered a replacement. Had no info on why it was doing it. Said they couldn't fix it, so they would order a replacement.

Great service ftw.