Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    I have a song set as my ringtone where the sound pans from the left channel to the right. About a week ago, I noticed that when it goes off, the sound fades in and out, like it's panning, but one of the channels just isn't playing the sound. I thought the Pre's speaker was mono, but I guess not. I tested it with another song where some of the song is panned to the left for the duration of the song, and that part doesn't play at all. Is this a fixable bug or something someone's heard of?
    you only have one speaker so ...... It will fade to nothing when it fades from left to right or vice versa . Get it ?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    you only have one speaker so ...... It will fade to nothing when it fades from left to right or vice versa . Get it ?
    so your saying the pre is playing in stereo with only one speaker? or do you not understand the difference between stereo and mono?
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I had not even considered which channel the Pre's single speaker plays until I saw this post. I normally BT my Pre to my car stereo and play music that way. Not sure what to suggest for playing stereo ringtones through a mono speaker.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    This is either entirely wrong or confusing - or both!

The Pre only has one speaker, so there will be no distinction between left/right channel audio played through it. The ringtone will play as if it were mono to begin with.

What you might have discovered is that the Pre's speaker purposefully chooses either the left or the right channel when it's presented with a stereo file. This sounds unlikely but some testing could be done to prove the theory.
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy123 View Post
    I have a song set as my ringtone where the sound pans from the left channel to the right. About a week ago, I noticed that when it goes off, the sound fades in and out, like it's panning, but one of the channels just isn't playing the sound. I thought the Pre's speaker was mono, but I guess not. I tested it with another song where some of the song is panned to the left for the duration of the song, and that part doesn't play at all. Is this a fixable bug or something someone's heard of?
    As has been pointed out, the Pre has only one external speaker. You would only hear your ringtone in stereo if you were using headphones. If the rintone is not playing correctly or sounds different when using the external speaker, then maybe the mp3 is corrupted. Try replacing it with a known good copy.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laze View Post

What you might have discovered is that the Pre's speaker purposefully chooses either the left or the right channel when it's presented with a stereo file.
    Ya, sounds like the Pre does not merge both channels before playback. I think you're correct -- it chooses one channel or the other.

I haven't tested this, so YMMV.
    It may seem like I am doing nothing, but on a cellular level I'm really quite busy.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    I totally understand that it's only one speaker and that's why it's so strange. My alarm song played both channels at once up until sometime last week. I woke up and said "That doesn't sound right". Like in my headphones I hear, ding (left), dong (right), ding, dong, ding, dong...and that's how it would sound when my alarm went off before, no headphones attached. Now without headphones, as of last week, it sounds like ding, *space*, ding, *space*...you get the idea. But with headphones in everything is still normal.

I'll try replacing the two mp3s I've tested this with, because it makes no sense to me. And since it's not a bug, I guess I'll just resave them as mono if nothing else.
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    TMK (and I've read it somewhere, probably in one of the bah-gillion "how to make your own ringtones thread), the Pre's speaker is only mono and it plays the left channel. I typically take the audio that I want to make into a ringtone then after splitting the two channels, merge them into a single channel, convert it to mono, then upload.

If I get bored today I'll dig through the manual to see if it's in there.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Yeah, I've done that with Audacity before. Maybe I'm going nuts and it wasn't playing both channels at the same time before, but I could totally swear it was - don't know how I would just realize that last week after owning the Pre since it came out.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Budget cuts,
    they could only afford one channel.

jk

Does this relate to the Pre's mic only recording on the left channel also?
    If so how?
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Okay is it just me or did the speaker become mono after a recent update or something or has it always played mono?

I was listening to a song that I knew had separate distinct left and right guitars playing and noticed I was only hearing one. Not only that it just seemed like all songs now sounded less "full". I know the Pre speaker is nothing worth bragging about but it just never seemed to be that bad..?

Using headphones all is normal and I usually plug my phone into a stereo when jamming out so maybe I just never really caught that before.

You don't have to literally have 2 speakers to be in stereo right?
    I just checked my old Samsung Rant. It only has one speaker and it played that same song with left and right channels coming through.
    What up with that???
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    I started noticing it around the time the update came out as well, now that I think about it...but I'm not totally sure. Good to know I'm not going nuts!

The speaker is mono (if you were hearing both channels before it's more than likely because they had been merged), but maybe before the update it merged both channels into one and now it doesn't for everyone?
    Hi - I just started a new thread about this, as I didn't see yours before doing so.

I'm having the same LEFT channel only problem as well. Also, I'm not sure if this started after the last major OS update.

Besides my post, I started a poll to see if others are having the same issue. You can access the poll by searching on ... "Does the speaker on your Pre play both channels?" ... as I can't submit a link yet for being a newbie poster.

So, what use does the speaker have if you can't listen to STEREO music through it? Yeah I know, it's a speakerPHONE first and everything else second. (just sayin'...) ;-)

- HB
    The Pre is incapable of stereo reproduction using the built in EXTERNAL speaker. You will note I said speaker and not speakers. You need two speakers (and a fair bit of separation) for stereo sound reproduction. The Pre can only produce monorail sound using the external speaker. It is possible that the phone was formally combining both channels into a single output and something happened to one channel. I haven't been able to find the specifics on how the phone manages audio signals so I can't comment more on that.
    ^ or would that be monoaural.
    Last edited by johncc; 02/03/2010 at 08:22 PM.
    This is confirmed

I have just produced an mp3 file with different songs altenating in opposite tracks and when played or used as a ringtone through the speaker only the left track song is heard. Plays normally through headphones.

Palm needs to fix this.
    Last edited by johncc; 02/03/2010 at 08:22 PM.
    The Pre was in fact merging the right and the left channels of the track before the 1.3.5 update. I never had any problems listening to my music before the 1.3.5 update, I listen to it at my work all the time through the speaker. However, after the update it only outputs the mono feed, from the left channel, to the speaker.

I am assuming they changed it for games and maybe messed with the coding for all sound output.

If they don't fix it when the 1.4 update comes out I think you, and I, will need to convert all your music/ringtones to mono, which is a real bummer.
    so ur pre has two speakers? O_o
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Same problem here. I do hope they have this on their list. I listen to Broadcast radio in the morning which doesn't give me the whole convert option.

Fingers crossed...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast