Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi everybody

I have had my Pre since X-Mas and as of today I can't stand it any more. I do not want to offend anyone but to give my point of view on certain things.

What seemed to be a great phone turned out to be an egg which is to become a chicken in a few years time. I'm sure that there are loads of people that do not want to wait.

You can already see number of posts about build quality - let's be honest here it's poor.

Slider
    Battery
    Materials used
    Speed

I just can't stand it any more. it's so slow, the battery doesn't last one day with medium-kind of user and the oreo effect after one week of using

Loads of people here try to justify things and saying that they will get better - unfortunately the one and only thing that will get better is the WebOS. The build quality is going stay the same, battery etc..

Community on the other hand is brilliant and I appreciate people who spent their free time on developing patches and apps.

I'm going back to an old, trusted and boring Nokia. Pre is going on eBay this Sunday...

All the best
    cya!
    Its only slow if people use it the iPhone way, opening and closing app. I always have 4 core apps open throughout the day. Web/gDial/Music/eMail. Doesn't feel to slow as I swipe through the cards. Not all the Pre's are bad quality. Touchstone makes the Pre feels great in the hand, thankfully no Oreo effect on mine. Sadly though the Pre quality isn't solid throughout the whole line and people do have bad one. Take it easy and hope ya enjoy the Nokia Experts site
    I second that, the build quality is poor.. I also would have wished palm would have used better material to build the pre. The slider is ****, even if you don't have the Oreo, it still is not solid. . I also would have been happy if they would have givin us a bigger display, with glass to cover it. . But at the end of the day what keeps me attatched to my pre is Webos. Webos deserves a top of the line build quality device, & I hope that device comes by the end of 2010. But for now, I am still a happy camper.
    I must be alone in this, but I like the build. Glass = brittle. If we had a glass screen there would be pic after pic of broken screens and people *****in. If you want no movement, don't get a slider. I mean yes I would change some things, but it is no way as bad as you all make it out to be. I also see no issue with the speed. Every desktop/laptop has lag, but everyone expects a pocket computer to be instant. Oh, well sorry you didn't like it and good luck.
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr71mb0 View Post
    cya!
    Yeah, hanh!?! Cool as ice response from ya, right?

Fact is that this palm's hardware DOES suck and it will be a precious few who make it 2 yrs on one pre without replacements.

A solid build quality speaks volumes about the company's standards, and if you're ok with thin plastic susceptible to cracks, oreo rotation and all the rest, go for it.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Oreo, oreo, oreo, That's all I keep hearing from here. I've had my Pre since release in the UK (Oct) and mine is having the opposite effect. My slider is getting tighter!
    I feel your pain.

As an early adopter and someone who gave up his SERO plan, I've really struggled with the Pre, and as much as I think the software is beautifully elegant, I still don't think it's fully cooked.

Is it getting there? Yeah.

Is it going to be there anytime soon? Not likely.

The advantage that iPhones and Android devices have is that they have a significant user install base and there's incentive for developers and businesses to invest in creating applications. It's going to be while before that happens for the Pre.

*I want to make it VERY, VERY clear that I've been absolutely staggered by the developers who have been working on WebOS — they've done incredible things with a very limited toolset, and quite frankly, the folks who've written patches and apps are the only reason I still have a Pre at all. I mean them absolutely ZERO disrespect. However, they don't have the corporate dollars nor the resources that come behind a business saying 'We need an iPhone app!' and I don't see anyone pushing out a WebOS app on a parallel with that anytime soon, if ever.*

I've had a number of hardware issues: Radios failing, a wonky slider, dead pixels, etc...

And now, with the lack of ETF fee due to a rate hike from Sprint, I'm carrier-shopping.

WebOS is pretty incredible, definitely, but I've done my time as a beta-tester.
    sorry you didn't see Pre fit your need. see what palm has to offer at CES then. no need to rush.

Quote Originally Posted by AxeYrCat View Post

I've had a number of hardware issues: Radios failing, a wonky slider, dead pixels, etc...

And now, with the lack of ETF fee due to a rate hike from Sprint, I'm carrier-shopping.

WebOS is pretty incredible, definitely, but I've done my time as a beta-tester.
    if phone is important, you can check out unlocked Nokia N900, Verizon Droid or Nexus One on Verizon or T-mobile.

if price is important, sprint is just plain cheaper, maybe pick up HTC hero?
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Yeah, hanh!?! Cool as ice response from ya, right?

Fact is that this palm's hardware DOES suck and it will be a precious few who make it 2 yrs on one pre without replacements.

A solid build quality speaks volumes about the company's standards, and if you're ok with thin plastic susceptible to cracks, oreo rotation and all the rest, go for it.
    Please, most power users won't even keep a phone 2 years. Regardless of how "awesome" the phone is or isn't most of us will be on to bigger and better things. I have no doubt that my Pre as is could last two years, but when my year is up I'll be upgrading. I too would rather have plastic than a glass screen. If you take care of it, it shouldn't be a problem.

Fact is no one cares if someone stays or leaves. If the phone works for you great, if it doesn't you should go get one that does work for you.
    face it alot of people out there abuse there phone and then complain about how its build quality sucks because it broke . And then on the other side there are some issues with the phone too. As for me . I take care of my phone as much as possible and it has been good and has had no problems at all. Of course I don't go testing my phone to see if it has oreo either ,well because if I keep checking if it does it eventually will because of me . Lol treat your phone like its gold and maybe just maybe it will be golden to you, ha !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->

cry me a river
    dont listen to treobk214. Guy has been whining about Pre since the release. He must be a paid basher because why would a guy bother hanging out in a channels that he doesnt care about anymore?
    Ive had my PRE since launch day (US) and this thing is still going strong. never had the oreo affect...and my first issue was the power button going three days ago. Guess what?? I slapped a piece a paper in that sucker and it works fine.....will hold me til I can get to a repair shop.

But see ya though, you will be missing out on the good stuff when it happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by FesterTreo View Post
    dont listen to treobk214. Guy has been whining about Pre since the release. He must be a paid basher because why would a guy bother hanging out in a channels that he doesnt care about anymore?
    you know how apple f**boys are it's like a religion
    You know.. the ultimate testimonial to build quality I think would have to be my girlfriend's launch-day Pre. I put and Invisible Shield on it for her and she keeps it in the little pouch thing that Palm sends along with the device. Since day 1, she's kept it in her purse along with keys, wallet, sunglasses, makeup, etc and much to my surprise, it's completely unscathed. The slider has a minuscule amount of the fabled "oreo" but you would never know it unless you actually tried to twist the phone.

For a device that's banged around inside a purse day in and day out, it's held up pretty dang well, all things considered. Her previous phone, a Motorola Q, had most of the paint chipped off and some serious deep dings/scratches by the time she replaced it.
    I am with the OP on this one. HOWEVER, I have had the Pre since day 1. I loved this phone, I gave it more than its fair chance to be awesome. I know the design is complicated, but it is the only phone I have ever had to get repaired (though I still have my original, launch day pre). The OS is a great idea, it is just not ready yet.
    I do not like having to apply patches to make things as simple as LED notification work, that just isn't right, and shows that WebOS is not nearly ready yet.
    The app store has been full of glitches, from the original "OUT OF MEMORY" issue, to this new one mine seems to have developed, asking me to free over 200MB to install any new app (***?).
    The battery was just also a huge point for me. I just couldnt, no matter what I did, get a full days use out of it. I have tried all the power settings lowering the brightness with the patch that makes the screen ultra dim, but same crap. I got a blackberry tour, and after a 9 hour day, it is still at over 60%. The pre would have been dead a long time before that.

I do not mean to *****. I still love the Pre, and I am keeping it as a backup, or in case some awesome update comes along. But that right there has been the problem all along. We were always waiting for the next update that would unlock some cool feature (video recording, voice recording, voice dial, etc), but they really never came.

I would just like to thank all the devs out there, as I would have given up on the pre months ago without them (specifically for WOSQI, mytether, weatherman). Keep it up, and give people a reason to come back to the pre!
    It's hard to have patience these days, when new phones with more bells and whistles come out every coupla months or so.
    Temptation can be tempting .
    ::::::
    :::::
    ::::
    :::
    ::
    :
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 01/06/2010 at 07:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    It's hard to have patience these days, when new phones with more bells and whistles come out every coupla months or so.
    Temptation can be tempting .
    ::::::
    :::::
    ::::
    :::
    ::
    :
    Very true....but as soon as you get that said new phone, you will have complaints about it too....its the way the technological world works.

Very few things in this generation of tech last more than a 6 months to barely 1 year timeframe.

Atleast with WebOs the groundwork is there to make Palm last....and to me, most of the fun is from finding what the developers of the world out there can do....WebOsinternals guys ROCK.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast