Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Bloomberg article confirms Verizon Pre will have additional memory
    and will debut this month, see article below:

Palm Pre, Pixi Said to Debut on Verizon This Month (Update2)
    January 05, 2010, 04:18 PM EST

By Amy Thomson and Ari Levy

Jan. 5 (Bloomberg) -- Palm Inc.ís Pre and Pixi will be offered this month by Verizon Wireless, the second U.S. wireless carrier to sell the phones, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Verizon, the biggest U.S. mobile-phone service, will introduce the models this week at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, said the person, who declined to be named because the announcement hasnít been made public. The Pre and Pixi, currently sold in the U.S. only by Sprint Nextel Corp., will include some changes such as additional memory, the person said.

ďThis is Palmís second chance to shine after whatís been a real lackluster performance,Ē said Maribel Lopez, founder of Lopez Research LLC, a San Francisco-based consulting and research firm. Palm has ďto prove that this platform has legs and they can do something with it.Ē

Palm is seeking to entice new customers after reporting its 10th straight quarterly loss last month. Chief Executive Officer Jon Rubinstein said in December that the company planned to announce new service-provider partners in the near future. Ehud Gelblum, a Morgan Stanley analyst who initiated coverage of Palm yesterday, recommended the stock, citing the likelihood of additional carrier agreements.

Derick Mains, a spokesman for Sunnyvale, California-based Palm, declined to comment, as did Brenda Raney, a spokeswoman for Basking Ridge, New Jersey-based Verizon Wireless.

Verizonís Lineup

The price of the Palm phones will be determined this week, said the person familiar with the matter.

At Verizon, Palm will be competing with smartphones such as Research In Motion Ltd.ís Storm 2 and Motorola Inc.ís Droid, which uses Google Inc.ís Android operating system. The Droid sells for $200 on Verizonís Web site, while the Storm 2 costs $20 less. Verizon Wireless is co-owned by Verizon Communications Inc. and Vodafone Group Plc.

AT&T Inc., which has exclusive rights to Apple Inc.ís iPhone, may start selling Palmís phones in the first half of the year, Gelblum said. Additional carriers in the U.S. and abroad will more than double Palmís base of potential subscribers to 406 million from 149 million currently, the New York-based analyst said.

Palm rose 23 cents, or 2.2 percent, to $10.55 at 4 p.m. New York time on the Nasdaq Stock Market. The shares more than tripled in value last year. Verizon Communications, down 2.3 percent in 2009, rose 6 cents to $33.34 in New York Stock Exchange composite trading.
    This is good news for those of use who have waited for the pre on Verizon. I hope the phones come with more than just additional memory.
    This sucks!!! so this is what we get for being loyal palm users. We go out on launch date and grab pre's and how are we rewarded for our loyalty??? With news that verizon will have a better pre!!! We should be allowed free upgrades!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by harold42483 View Post
    This sucks!!! so this is what we get for being loyal palm users. We go out on launch date and grab pre's and how are we rewarded for our loyalty??? With news that verizon will have a better pre!!! We should be allowed free upgrades!!!
    youll get a free upgrade in 6 months when the next iteration of the phone is likely released.

calm down.

nobody forced you to choose your carrier or your particular phone.

in case you didnt know, this sort of thing happens all the time.
    Is the Pre the first electronic device you've ever owned? Because your childish whining sure makes it sound like it. Name one electronics company that has ever given free HARDWARE upgrades to existing owners when they released a newer model. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Palm's not a charity and like every other company they're constantly upgrading their hardware and software. You bought a Pre early on and should have known that something newer would be coming 6 or 12 months down the line. Deal with it.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    There is always a better phone eventually, and I think that is even going to get worse (or better, depending on your perspective.)
    No you shouldn't! If you want the upgrade you can buy it.

-Toaster
    More memory doesn't make the phone "better."

What would make the phone "better?"

Functionality!!!

I hope this isn't the only "big" announcement to come out of CES this week.
    i wld trade more mini or micro sd for memory.
    Yeesh.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    while I do not fully agree with op it does make me feel rather neglected by palm...

as loyal palm customers we went out and grabbed us a pre - in my case on launch day - that was (and lets be honest here) still half baked, with many, many, many functions that palmos had absent.

now, 6 monthes later, we are still stuck with using tonns of HOMEBREW PATCHES to somehow compensate for palms oversight.

I don't mind the new version of pre coming out, but in this case it is beginning to look like neglect. If homebrew guys can do those patches then palm sertanly can either make the patches themselves or implement those that are already out there...

I just hope it is not palm's strategy to just "let homebrew take care of it"...

Get on it palm!
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheburashka View Post
    while I do not fully agree with op it does make me feel rather neglected by palm...

as loyal palm customers we went out and grabbed us a pre - in my case on launch day - that was (and lets be honest here) still half baked, with many, many, many functions that palmos had absent.

now, 6 monthes later, we are still stuck with using tonns of HOMEBREW PATCHES to somehow compensate for palms oversight.

I don't mind the new version of pre coming out, but in this case it is beginning to look like neglect. If homebrew guys can do those patches then palm sertanly can either make the patches themselves or implement those that are already out there...

Get on it palm!

You were an earlier adopter, it's par for the course. It's like going in a strip bar and complaining you've seen a woman's breasts.
    Good Grief
    Quote Originally Posted by cheburashka View Post

Get on it palm!
    Did you somehow read into the OP that there were going to be apps on the Verizon version that aren't on the Sprint version.

I'll tell you want really bites - every time I buy a new car, without fail, a newer model comes out the next year that has more features.

'Taint fair!!!
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Its more a kick in the teeth to euro customers who have only had their phones 2 months, we now own an outdated phone and our contracts still have 1-2 years left to run. That being said, personally I have no use for more memory as I dont even use what ive got, but thats just me personally.
    However it is expected, the pre has been out a while now so its natural upgraded/new phones will be released. As long as they keep the updates coming for mine ill be happy, what I wont be happy about is if they start focusing all their attentions on their newer phones
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    My guess is no matter what the Verizon Pre has for hardware, and no matter what a potential (though I agree with some unlikely) new Pre/handset later this year that the original Sprint Pre will always be kept up to date with the same webOS they are running, even when that turns into webOS 2.0. If that ends up being the case, which the hardware in this phone should probably be able to handle, then I have no problem with my phone because webOS is what makes it a great phone. (That and much to my surprise I still have 4.4 GBs of storage left somehow, and that is with two movies on my phone. I need to use that space up!)
    I would hope Palm comes up more than just added HDD. They need to come up with new products each year. and big upgrade every two years.

I hope palm would have SD slot, a new shape, glass surface, higher resolution on the new device (my dream includes front face camera and projector, but thats unlikely)

As for OS, webOS 1.4 with further GPU support and native SDK, video/audio recorder and voice command, throw in google street view and google earth maybe. of course, there will be available for current Pre too.
    All I can say is I hope the Sprint Pre doesn't become the pixi to the Verizon Pre.
  19.    #19  
    My guess right now (only a guess, we will find out tomorrow)

the addl memory is the biggest new hardware feature.

the other new features are software enabled, making it likely that they are enabled for the sprint pre as well. i gather from the developers that the latest software update did not come with much documentation (which will possibly be augmented after CES)
    CES Update!!! In a big move to satisfy loyal customers, Palm just announced that the much-anticipated Verizon Pre will be available this month with half the memory, and half the speed as compared to the Sprint version. Palm's stock is expected to fall 80%, however most importantly, many early adopters are pleased with the move.
    Last edited by mgmoore; 01/06/2010 at 08:18 AM. Reason: name change
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast