Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I just bought my pre, pretty happy other than the build quality and the tiny keyboard. Other than that, it seems very slow and sluggish. Even when I am not multi-tasking, apps take a decent amount of time to load compared to the iPhone or iPod touch. Is this normal? Cause aren't the specs on the same level as the iPhone 3gs? Will this be fixed in a webos update soon?
    hahahahah
    hello, and welcome.

for now, the pre does open apps more slowly than iThings (phone or touch). expectations are that it will become much quicker with updates. the hardware is on par with that of the 3gs and droid, but for the time being parts of the hardware are not yet being used. if the speed at which opening apps is a major problem i would suggest just keeping your favorites open. not that that is supposed to satisfy the desire to see something pop right up when the screen is pushed, but it may help if there are apps you need instant access too.

i think that CES should give some idea as to what the future of webOS will bring. while not as fast at opening apps as an iPhone right now, i think that after about a week of using webOS, you will be hooked.

stick around on this forum as there are tons of knowledgeable people who will be able to answer your questions, and a lot of information out here that will help you get the most out of your experience with webOS.
    1.3.5 is pretty snappy. i think it will keep improving.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    hahahahah
    was this someone who just made a new account to post this as a joke or something? i guess in the world of the interwebz and forums, it wouldn't surprise me
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    hahahahah
    .....?
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    hello, and welcome.

for now, the pre does open apps more slowly than iThings (phone or touch). expectations are that it will become much quicker with updates. the hardware is on par with that of the 3gs and droid, but for the time being parts of the hardware are not yet being used. if the speed at which opening apps is a major problem i would suggest just keeping your favorites open. not that that is supposed to satisfy the desire to see something pop right up when the screen is pushed, but it may help if there are apps you need instant access too.

i think that CES should give some idea as to what the future of webOS will bring. while not as fast at opening apps as an iPhone right now, i think that after about a week of using webOS, you will be hooked.

stick around on this forum as there are tons of knowledgeable people who will be able to answer your questions, and a lot of information out here that will help you get the most out of your experience with webOS.
    Hi, I am planning to stick around, I have been an avid iPhone OS user, now I wanna learn about webOS. Thanks for the info!
    was this someone who just made a new account to post this as a joke or something? i guess in the world of the interwebz and forums, it wouldn't surprise me
    No, I really don't know why he is laughing...
    Quote Originally Posted by erikmarcus View Post
    I just bought my pre, pretty happy other than the build quality and the tiny keyboard. Other than that, it seems very slow and sluggish. Even when I am not multi-tasking, apps take a decent amount of time to load compared to the iPhone or iPod touch. Is this normal? Cause aren't the specs on the same level as the iPhone 3gs? Will this be fixed in a webos update soon?
    welcome erik!

keep in mind, as you make the transition from iphone to Pre, that you're going from a mature OS (3.x) to one that is still a pup (in the software world). I think you will see the Pre come into its own at 2.0 and beyond. Very few remember the Iphone 1.x days, but I certainly do (I bought a first gen. iphone), and let me tell you, it was rough. So hang in there, the best is yet to come...
    Quote Originally Posted by erikmarcus View Post
    .....?

Hi, I am planning to stick around, I have been an avid iPhone OS user, now I wanna learn about webOS. Thanks for the info!

No, I really don't know why he is laughing...
    you updated to 1.3.5? I'm sure the one you purchased didnt update on its own
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    By the way, those "parts" that aren't being utilized --> GPU. Graphics Processing Unit.

I figure it should get fast within time... however, I wonder if Palm might just wait until newer hardware comes around so they don't have to utilize GPu.
    iPhone OS + 3 years = fine tuned and snappy

WebOS + 6 months = fast enough but not highly tuned
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    App loading time is fairly slow, and hasn't really improved over the updates. For example, the stock Calculator takes an excessively long time to load (about three seconds for me) for a rather simple app.

Then again, you shouldn't really NEED to open apps all that often. Welcome to the world of multitasking, where you can open an app and leave it there for later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    iPhone OS + 3 years = fine tuned and snappy

WebOS + 6 months = fast enough but not highly tuned
    So tired excuse. iPhone 1.0 was better tuned and snappier than the current WebOS, and that was back in 2007, and it was running on worse hardware. There is no excuse for how laggy and choppy WebOS is in the year 2010 and with the type of hardware it has with the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by UF15 View Post
    So tired excuse. iPhone 1.0 was better tuned and snappier than the current WebOS, and that was back in 2007, and it was running on worse hardware. There is no excuse for how laggy and choppy WebOS is in the year 2010 and with the type of hardware it has with the Pre.
    uhh, that's not entirely true. i mean the manually rolling from page to page was smooth but I can remember many times when apps would take forever to open, or would open then crash, or the whole OS would freeze then crash. those early years where not smoove sailing, but people didn't care cause the OS was so new and innovative that people cut Apple some slack, believing that it would get better.

I believe that Web OS is just as new and innovative, but unfortunately people continue to compare it to something that, really, it can't be compared to (they are two very different OS's built on two different platforms), but we compare anyway, cause the Iphone "seems to be" the closest thing.

All i'm saying is, "cut Web OS some slack, people!!" and believe that it will get there.

...and quit the comparing thing. Web OS is new now, as Apple was new then.
    Have to agree with you there. They just had a Documentary on CNBC about Apple. In it they showed the keynote from 07. Yes the one they debuted the Iphone. Now give that this was 1.0 software on it the practical demo that Jobs did would blow the Pre out of the water. What is lacking is a properly tuned os on this phone. The specs are there to keep up the the GS. And no the Iphone OS has been out for 2+ years ahead of Palm. That doesn't cut it now. Heck like I said previously. Apple got it right the first time and improved it over time.

Sadly if we are underwhelmed on Friday. A new Android on Sprint looks better and better. And personally I DON'T WANT IT TO BE.
    Quote Originally Posted by max.swell View Post

All i'm saying is, "cut Web OS some slack, people!!" and believe that it will get there.

We cut them slack for 6 months. CES is here it's put or shut down time.

At this point i'm not going to leave Sprint. Palm that might be another story.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    uhh, that's not entirely true. i mean the manually rolling from page to page was smooth but I can remember many times when apps would take forever to open, or would open then crash, or the whole OS would freeze then crash. those early years where not smoove sailing, but people didn't care cause the OS was so new and innovative that people cut Apple some slack, believing that it would get better.

I believe that Web OS is just as new and innovative, but unfortunately people continue to compare it to something that, really, it can't be compared to (they are two very different OS's built on two different platforms), but we compare anyway, cause the Iphone "seems to be" the closest thing.

If Apple can put together a more polished product in 2007 than Palm can in 2010 with all the new advancements and technology advantage it has, then that is really telling.

iPhone 1.0 wasn't blazingly fast, but apps opened up faster than on the Pre, pages scrolled smoothly, you could breeze through the calendar quickly and multitouch actions weren't choppy.

I don't care what platforms they were built on, they are competing against each other. Ford may build a car on one chassis and Honda on another, but the consumer wants the best product. If a Honda car from 2007 had air conditioning, then by 2010 the Ford better make sure they have it too. So for the Pre to still not be using the GPU to animate things, it is pathetic. The beautiful things about phones is the software can fix a lot of things after the phone is built, but Palm is dragging their feet there.

The bar has been raised and Palm can't even match one set in 2007. Consumers don't care what platform things were built on. If Palm can't do the same things as Android and iPhone in 2010, then maybe they should have chose a better platform to build on.

How much longer do you cut WebOS slack? What if on Thursday they only offer hints at minor improvements that will come down the line?
    Quote Originally Posted by mech1164 View Post
    We cut them slack for 6 months. CES is here it's put or shut down time.

At this point i'm not going to leave Sprint. Palm that might be another story.

I believe that CES will give you hope, and maybe that's all you need. The reality is whatever you glen from CES about the future on web OS will not be implemented till months later.

But Hope...

...hope is on the way...implementation, well Palm is still on schedule.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    I believe that CES will give you hope, and maybe that's all you need. The reality is whatever you glen from CES about the future on web OS will not be implemented till months later.

But Hope...

...hope is on the way...implementation, well Palm is still on schedule.
    All I want from them is to say they are going to use the GPU the same way iPhone does, things will scroll and animate fast and smoothly, and it will be done in 2 months. No excuses. If that is too much to ask, then I guess I am over-demanding. But they have had time.

If they want to go ahead and announce in June that their new device runs on a 1GHz processor, has 512MB of RAM and a 480x800 screen, then I will regain my complete confidence in Palm.
    If Apple can put together a more polished product in 2007 than Palm can in 2010 with all the new advancements and technology advantage it has, then that is really telling.

iPhone 1.0 wasn't blazingly fast, but apps opened up faster than on the Pre, pages scrolled smoothly, you could breeze through the calendar quickly and multitouch actions weren't choppy.

I don't care what platforms they were built on, they are competing against each other. Ford may build a car on one chassis and Honda on another, but the consumer wants the best product. If a Honda car from 2007 had air conditioning, then by 2010 the Ford better make sure they have it too. So for the Pre to still not be using the GPU to animate things, it is pathetic. The beautiful things about phones is the software can fix a lot of things after the phone is built, but Palm is dragging their feet there.

The bar has been raised and Palm can't even match one set in 2007. Consumers don't care what platform things were built on. If Palm can't do the same things as Android and iPhone in 2010, then maybe they should have chose a better platform to build on.

How much longer do you cut WebOS slack? What if on Thursday they only offer hints at minor improvements that will come down the line?
    Your car analogy just does not fit here (nice try though).
    Fords and Hondas are very different vehicles. people buy them for different reasons, not necessarily cause they are the "best Product" but cause they are the best product for them. There where many cars that went without AC for a long time and sold well. Why is that? cause people bought the best product for them. some wanted AC some could careless.

....But cars and technology are different. I think your arguments are valid, all things being equal (there not). My point about platforms is that eachof these OS's are built from the ground up. The difference is that Apple, and Google had a head start. You are expecting web OS (a totally new and innovative OS) to be in the same place as mature OS in much less time.
    I'm sure that the engineers and developers at Palm are writing the OS as fast as there little fingers can write, So cut them some slack.

It would be a different story if they where taking already written code (from Apple or Android) and just putting it in the phone. But that's not wants happening. they are creating it, from scratch (as apple and Google did some years ago).

Its going to take time people. If you don't want to go through the growing pains then switch to something else. That's why they make both Fords and Hondas.
    ......i would suggest just keeping your favorites open...

That right there, is really good advice.

Let me expand on that a little as well.

If you're coming from other systems (old feature phones/android/iphone/WM/etc) you may at first be dismayed by the lack of a "home screen" or dashboard where little alerts are always displayed, and little plug-ins or widgets that can be kept open to display the information you use the most.

You'll also probably be tempted to put all of your most used applications in your quick-launcher at the bottom of the screen.

Don't.

From my experience, the whole point of webos is the fluidity and ease with which you can switch apps, and the way you can have multiple apps open in card view.

IMO, the best way to take full advantage of this, is to keep your most used apps open all the time. For me, that's the messaging app, email, popelli reader (I'm an ebook junkie). If I'm expecting to make a lot of phone calls for the day, I'll keep the phone app open as well, but I generally do FAR more messaging and email than actual phone calls these days. Your most used apps will probably be different. Perhaps the calendar, a weather app, whatever apps you want to have constant access to.

None of those apps should go in the quick launch, because they'll already be open all the time. Instead, fill the quick launch with things that you really don't use all that often, but need really quick access to when you do need them. For me, that's the phone app, Checkbook, notes, and the camera. Again, yours will probably be different.

Then, remember that you can keep all your cards arranged however you want. by tapping and holding on a card, you can move it around, and place all of your most used apps on the far left, and stuff you've just brought up for a few minutes on the right.

Last, don't close stuff unless you know you won't be using it again for a while. Again, multi-tasking is the real focus here, so use it well.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast