View Poll Results: Is Talk and Data at the same time important to you?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

13 26.53%
  • No!

13 26.53%
  • It's nice, but I don't care that much.

23 46.94%
  1.    #1  
    We've talked about this in the past, but after seeing recent AT&T commercials calling out Verizon for not being able to do talk and data at the same time, it got me thinking... what ever happened to Evdo Rev A being able to do both at the same time? I remember people saying that it wasn't the phone limitation, it was just that Sprint wasn't allowing it. You would think Sprint and Verizon would both do it quick so AT&T wouldn't have anything more to say. Are we really gonna have to wait for 4G before we have any hope for this?
    its not a limitation of the Pre, Its a limitation of CDMA! It cant be done!
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    its not a limitation of the Pre, Its a limitation of CDMA! It cant be done!
    I believe technically it can be done with CDMA but not with Verizon or Sprint's implementation of it.
    Live free or DIE!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Good read. Thanks for that info. Still doesn't seem to be a clear if we'd have to have new technology in our phones, or if its just the towers that need updating. If its the towers, it would be really awesome if they'd just go ahead and do the upgrade, cause I'm tired of those AT&T commercials rubbing it my face. Would be nice to see some new Sprint commercials talking about how much less I'm paying than those AT&T customers. For now I'll take the cheaper plan.. as for Verizon, they don't have either one to brag about.
    The CDG article made it seem like it is a software upgrade to the towers. If AT&T can screw-over their 2G customers by upgrading towers to 3G and leaving out 2G, I dont know why existing CDMA towers cant be upgraded? but i'm no cell tower guru.

But IMO I think Sprint is skipping over this upgrade and will just do WiMAX. Like in the early days Sprint was hellbent on being the 1st 3G carrier but failed to provide good coverage for anything outside the city.
    Live free or DIE!
  7.    #7  
    The CDG article made it seem like it is a software upgrade to the towers. If AT&T can screw-over their 2G customers by upgrading towers to 3G and leaving out 2G, I dont know why existing CDMA towers cant be upgraded? but i'm no cell tower guru.

But IMO I think Sprint is skipping over this upgrade and will just do WiMAX. Like in the early days Sprint was hellbent on being the 1st 3G carrier but failed to provide good coverage for anything outside the city.
    I agree that Sprint is probably focussed on WiMax right now, but if its really just a software update to the towers, it seems really stupid not to take that bragging right away from AT&T. Verizon would be even smarter to do it right now and stop those stupid commercials once and for all! Really, how much effort could it possibly take? A few tech guys for a few weeks of work? Is that gonna hurt their bottom line?
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    I agree that Sprint is probably focussed on WiMax right now, but if its really just a software update to the towers, it seems really stupid not to take that bragging right away from AT&T. Verizon would be even smarter to do it right now and stop those stupid commercials once and for all! Really, how much effort could it possibly take? A few tech guys for a few weeks of work? Is that gonna hurt their bottom line?
    sprint is a tier 2 carrier now. They are not fighting with Att or verizon as much as they are fighting with the crickets of the world.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    sprint is a tier 2 carrier now. They are not fighting with Att or verizon as much as they are fighting with the crickets of the world.
    If they were smart, they'd try to get back to being a tier 1 carrier. There's really no reason they shouldn't be. If Sprint had the iphone, AT&T would be insignificant right now and sprint would be a powerhouse. It's really kinda dumb, but if there is a phone that suddenly blows the iphone out of the water on a different carrier, its very likely AT&T will lose a HUGE chunk of their customers.
    If they were smart, they'd try to get back to being a tier 1 carrier. There's really no reason they shouldn't be. If Sprint had the iphone, AT&T would be insignificant right now and sprint would be a powerhouse. It's really kinda dumb, but if there is a phone that suddenly blows the iphone out of the water on a different carrier, its very likely AT&T will lose a HUGE chunk of their customers.
    If AT&T loses their exclusive deal with Apple, AT&T will become a Cricket or Metro PCS. So AT&T will keep their knees dirty and scuffed-up for Apple.
    Live free or DIE!
    If AT&T loses their exclusive deal with Apple, AT&T will become a Cricket or Metro PCS. So AT&T will keep their knees dirty and scuffed-up for Apple.
    Your kidding Right! At&t (not a fan at all) is one of the strongest companies in the world!

Iphone or not, They were no1 before and still will be after.

Verizon has a larger 3g map but At&t has millions more customers, even if you take Iphone out of the mix.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

12.    #12  
    Your kidding Right! At&t (not a fan at all) is one of the strongest companies in the world!

Verizon has a larger 3g map but At&t has millions more customers, even if you take Iphone out of the mix.
    I agree AT&T is a large and powerful company regardless, but they'd definitely either A) lose a huge chunk of their customers, or B) need to be competitive in their pricing. Before the iphone, AT&T actually had to keep their prices reasonable... for the last few years they could magically charge whatever they wanted.

I will have to respectfully disagree.

All I know is every AT&T user I talk to has dropped a call with me... numerous times... I dont remember the last time I dropped a call with a VZ user. VZ and Sprint just has more overall coverage. AT&T, while they claim 3G, millions of users, and such, still is spotty. I know oodles of friends that despise AT&T's service.

So Yes, they will still be a huge company, but they will be hurting if they lost the iPhone to VZ.
    Live free or DIE!