Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    First let me say I got a Palm Pre and loved it, but since the 1.3.5 update and Jan 1st this phone is crap, and it seems to just be going from bad to worse.

About noon on Jan 1st my phone started to go offline, I tried a dozen different things, eventually doing webOS Doctor 1.3.5, doing the partial erase, full erase, webOS doctor again, reading this forum and the EAS fix with the dates, even went to Sprint, they gave me a new phone and I updated to 1.3.5.1, no choice (oh and I let the 1.3.5.1 update happen at work and 5 hours later same phone offline) and with 30 minutes phone offline.

I am now backing my self to 1.3.1 in hopes that it will allow me to use my phone as a phone.

Anyone having this issue, I don't use exchange for mail, but I do use gmail for mail, contacts, and Google for Calendaring. My phone is stock, no preware or homebrew.

If I can't get a stable connection for ph calls then I will have to say goodbye to Palm and embrace Android or HTC WinMo. It's pretty sad as this phone has so much promise, but I need a phone I can depend on, this is my home/organizational for for rescue work.

Any tips will be tried and thanked.
    David E Thurman
    Downstate Illinois ARPH Representative/Coordinator

david.e.thurman@gmail.com
    (309) 222-5211 (mobile - text)
    @aussierescueil (twitter)
    www.aussierescueil.com (blog)

"Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in." Mark Twain
    From previous experience, this appears to be related to an account not syncing correctly. Do you continue to lose signal with the phone completely-stock, and all accounts removed? Start adding accounts until you start experiencing the problem.

The most unbelievable things can have huge consequences. For example, I always backed up and restored my text messages whenever I doctored my phone--and since 1.3.1, my GPS barely worked, ever. It turns out that the database I was copying over was SOMEHOW causing these issues.
    no 'Thanks'
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I will try that, I only was using google and facebook, maybe the Facebook is my issue.

Thanks, I will be sure to say thanks on the tip.
    David E Thurman

"Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in." Mark Twain
    this just happened to me.. i received a text message and then suddenly my phone went offline. i erased all my patches restarted my phone and same thing phone offline.. i was getting ready to run the doctor then it suddenly came back online and has been fine for the last half hour. could it be an issue with a patch?
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiguy2000 View Post
    this just happened to me.. i received a text message and then suddenly my phone went offline. i erased all my patches restarted my phone and same thing phone offline.. i was getting ready to run the doctor then it suddenly came back online and has been fine for the last half hour. could it be an issue with a patch?
    I am running stock, it all started with Jan 1st for me, or a complete comedy of events.

I ran webOS Doctor, but the 1.3.1 version to see if that holds if it does, then I will go to 1.3.5.1, but first deleting my FB account to see if this is causing it.

This phone was killer until all this. I would show it off to all my crackberry co workers and laugh... I guess the jokes on my right now.
    David E Thurman

I had the phone offline which disabled the pre completly. I got a replacement from sprint
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I did as well this afternoon, but once 1.3.5.1 installed it went offline again.

I am going to try running 1.3.1 for now, then update to 1.3.5.1 this weekend, when I have time to screw with all the testing of LinkedIn/Facebook/and my other email accounts.

I had 4 mail accounts before the update and they all worked perfect.
    David E Thurman

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I would check this post to see if it helps you:
    Warning-webos-1-3-5-phone-offline-every-30-seconds-so

Do you use EAS or have a POP email account with lots of mail in it? I've noticed that the "Phone offline" behavior is a lot like a Java restart, just as the people in that thread have noted, so I believe they are on to something.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I experienced this problem where the data connection wouldn't work even after turning the data connection on it would revert back to off on its own. I tried removing all patches via Preware and Webosqi to no success. I ran the doctor for the very first time and reverted back to 1.3.5.0. I then after reloading the Palm Profile hit the update for 1.3.5.1. I then manually entered Developer Mode and reloaded back Preware and used Webosqi to get me back on track. This seems to have corrected this problem. I am now reapplying my homebrew apps and patches.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    These posts sound encouraging. If I get home early enough from work, I will see what happens. I am not using exchange myself nor POP accounts. So I am hoping to get back to normal. It gets old pushing "Install Later" every time I charge my phone.

I really want this thing to work, looks like great things coming to Palm, be nice to see what comes out this Summer from Palm for Sprint. Just in time to do another ph upgrade...

Thanks for all the tips so far.
    David E Thurman

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    This is the first time I'm posting, but I have been experiencing the exact issues the original poster listed since Jan 1st as well. I've had my Pre since launch and have had no problems running with 3 google accts, AIM, Yahoo (more recently) and facebook.

The issue started for me when I was not able to remove patches before an automatic update occurred to 1.3.5 when I put my phone on the touchstone without remembering to tell it to "install later." (Apparently it assumes now is good if you don't explicitly tell it not to.)

The phone was unusable, so I webdoctored it back to 1.3.1 then clean OTA to 1.3.5. As soon as I signed into my palm profile and provided my passwords, the phone began the Phone Offline problem.

I tried newer WebDoctor to go to 1.3.5, same problem within an hour of restoring my profile.

Got new hardware from Sprint because they couldn't figure out problem either, but when I received new phone and entered my profile, same thing (Phone Offline within an hour.)

Figured it had to be the profile, so did some searching. Found a lot of forum entries pointing to a problem with Google Calendar. Disabled calendar and it worked for a little while, but eventually still got the Phone Offline error.

Tried creating a new profile, and that worked great, until I added in the google calendar. Then it went to Phone Offline.

Deleted calendar and restored phone before it had a chance to backup my settings to my new profile.

Restored with new profile, with no calendar, and it works fine. (Google accts for contacts/email just not calendar.)

Problem is two fold:
    1. I want my calendar. Kind of a major part of a PIM product.
    2. I purchased apps under my old corrupted profile, and don't know how to get them migrated to my new profile.

I have two Pre's due to a family member upgrading to a Pixi. So I've been testing all combinations to try to pinpoint the exact issue. I've turned off Backup on the original Profile, as it states that this will delete your profile, and will wait now for a bit to see if it truly resets any garbage that may be stuck in that profile. I'm running fairly stable, (still some Phone Offline messages, but not constant, on the original profile with the calendar turned off for Google.) Will be wiping and restoring a hopefully empty original profile shortly to see if I can build a clean "non calendar" profile that still has my purchases.

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. I wish there was a developer or Palm high level support person who could look at a debug view of my profile/phone and see what is causing these errors to occur. I agree that they look very much like when Java restarts and your phone "looses network connection". But I just wish there was a way to see a log that says "restarted due to error on calendar entry 12/30/2009".

BTW, this has all been happening without any Homebrew / Patches since the first accidental update to 1.3.5. So it can't be anything with me tinkering with the phone's internals.

Tom
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Tom

Thanks for all of that, I was almost ready to go for the update until you said you still get Phone Offline every now and then

I have held of on a new profile for just that reason, I have spent some decent money on apps, I think to lose them because of either a profile corruption or some update that Palm released is plain wrong to do to us. Sure it may only be a hundred dollars, but you know that is money to me.

I am glad to see you and some others have sort of pinpointed this as a Google Calendar issue, looks similar to AES issue to me. Sure hope Palm is listening or others are also submitting feedback to them, I know I did, of course no reply.

Again thanks Tom, I am more encouraged by your forensics. I deleted my Google Calendar as well, so maybe I will allow an update soon. I sure want to take advantage of the newer update coming.
    David E Thurman

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    David,

You reminded me of one other point that does seem to correlate the issue with something that has changed with the 1.3.5 and 1.3.5.1 firmware. When I received the new "reconditioned" phone from sprint it was 1.2.1. I restored my "corrupt" original profile to the phone and it worked fine, including the calendar. I ran with it like that for a while (maybe 12 hours) just to see if the problem would come back. It did not. I then allowed the phone to update to 1.3.5.1. As soon as the update was complete, the phone IMMEDIATELY began the Phone Offline issue. So while I think it is related to the profile and specifically to Google Calendar, it clearly is also related to a different way that they are interacting with this starting in 1.3.5.

On the testing front, I just did a full erase and started a clean install with my original profile that I had forced to purge itself by disabling backup yesterday. Initial results are good. The profile did keep my purchases, but lost all reference to any of my accounts. I added back in just one primary Google account and let it populate into email/contacts and calendar. This was at 9:35a CT. So far it is holding and I haven't seen the dreaded Phone Offline message. But then again, it has only been 11 minutes. (grin)

So, I will keep track and see how long before it either reverts to the Phone Offline issue, or (cross your fingers) if it got rid of whatever was corrupting the data transfers before and will work smoothly.

How did you report the issue to Palm. I searched around on their website and couldn't find any contact numbers or email addresses. They just kept linking me back to Sprint. And Sprint is clueless. They just keep offering more phones. (I've cycled through 5 so far. I think I can pretty much guarantee it isn't hardware at this point.) ;-)

Tom
    Milwaukee, WI
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Hi Tom

You are making me think I just might do the update, I want to re-read your thoughts and some others I found at Palm.Com forums as well.

Here is the link I used, it may just go to a dev null file but you never know

Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

Definitely let us know if it holds a solid ph connection.

Does your notifications work on email? I can live without Google Calendar for a while, just do everything in Palm Profile instead (PIA) and wait for Palm to acknowledge it and fix.

Again great insight
    Last edited by dthurman; 01/12/2010 at 10:03 AM. Reason: spelling
    David E Thurman

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Notifications work just fine. And since Google calendar has both a decent mobile site, and sends both email and txt notifications of meetings, it is possible to work around not having the actual calendar data in your Pre.

I am really surprised that this issue hasn't risen to the top of any lists given how many references I've found to it. It is literally so frustrating I feel like smashing the phone when I see the Phone Offline message. You just think you have it cleared up and suddenly it pops up again. Usually I can cause the issue, if the phone is prone to the problem, by doing anything that requires internet access like email, or web. The mere act of selecting the Mail icon will cause the bars to go from 5 to blank (bars gone from display).

Apparently it is not wide spread, but when it hits, it hits hard. I'm a tech guy who doesn't mind tinkering with my phone. If this happens to one of my family members or friends that I've recommended the Pre to, I'm sunk. (grin) There is no way they will be willing to do the endless iterations of testing that I've done in the past 12 days.

BTW 10:20 and still strong 5 bars on my phone with original profile and one google acct populating thru to mail/calendar/contacts. The next 1/2 hour will be critical. (grin) Always seems to hit an hour after doing a restore.

(One other variable that seems to impact the issue is the mail frequency and volume settings. I had used "All Mail" and "As it is received", but now have been forced to use "7 days" and "15 minutes." I'm afraid to push my luck and change those to more aggressive values until I know for sure that I can run this thing solid for a few days without errors.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Tom,

I think I will bite the bullet and see what happens, I deleted my Google Calendar, I need to do a backup with my current setup.

In your post you mentioned

BTW 10:20 and still strong 5 bars on my phone with original profile and one google acct populating thru to mail/calendar/contacts. The next 1/2 hour will be critical. (grin) Always seems to hit an hour after doing a restore.

So you added Calendar back on with Google?

Bummer on the last 7 days I get emails that ref month old messages, as well as I really like quick responses, but honestly reinstalling 1.3.1 isn't as bad as it seems, so I will wait a little to see if you get the PO issue again

I too am tech oriented, but would rather get paid and not tinker.

Again thanks
    David E Thurman

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I agree, tinkering is only fun when you want to do it, not when you have to do it.

And I agree on the length of time for email retention. I use my inbox as a limited todo list. If only I was so organized that 7 days was enough time to get issues handled completely. ;-) Now, the 7 days thing may have nothing to do with the issues I'm having. Like I said, I'm just trying to avoid making too many variable changes until I know what's causing the phone to crap out.

It is now 10:52, 1 hr plus since rebuilding my phone and still no phone off line issues. And yes, since this is the phone that I'm testing with, I put the calendar back into the mix. I will let it run the rest of the day before I change another variable, (probably the number of days of mail to sync.)

The good thing is I'm getting to be an expert at Palm Profile's, Full Erases, and swapping ESNs on Sprints system. (grin) Going back to an old firmware and reloading isn't a huge deal, so it may be worth the headache of updating just to see if the error pops up immediately.

If my current scenario works, it will be the removing of the Profile from Palm's servers that seemed to correct the issue. Perhaps, total speculation here, it was some corruption in the profile that occurred as a result of the migration from 1.3.1 to 1.3.5 that is causing the problem. (Although I could swear I saw the problem creep in to my test of the new profile when I added back the calendar.)

I really wish Palm would straighten this out. Perhaps 1.4 will resolve the issue. My understanding is that it is coming mid Feb and will have video recording and Flash support.

Tom

Forgot to hit send. Now 12:06 and still holding strong. May have finally cleared the bug out of the system.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Thanks Tom, I will make the plunge in a little bit, I have a rescue to make sure happens so need my phone for that. I will hopefully be rockin and let you know my out come.
    David E Thurman

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I went ahead and let it update, leaving Google Calendar off, so far so good, it's been an hour, letting mail come as it arrives, but only allowing 1 month or less. I am with you on this though, I want to add my calendar, my other Google accounts and FB and LinkedIn but will let this settle down for a few days, then add the additional accounts.

I want to say thanks for being willing to share what you found.
    David E Thurman

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Well it's been 24 hrs, (just under), and I've added back my second google email account as well as having the primary account sync to the contacts and calendar. So far it has been rock solid. I also up'd the mail that it syncs to 1 month. I will push it to ALL and up the frequency from 15 min to As It Arrives over the next day.

I have not yet added back in my Facebook or AIM/Yahoo messenging accounts, but I don't think those will cause an issue.

So, it appears for me anyway, that the key to getting rid of the corruption was to turn off the autobackup and allow the Palm Profile to be erased. Wait a couple hours to make sure it really is gone. Then do a full erase on a clean WebDoctored image (to make sure no old homebrew patches/changes remained hiding somewhere). When I restored the profile, the only thing that came through were my application purchases. No accounts were prepopulated. I added the one primary Google Acct using Contacts and allowed it to populate through to the Mail and Calendar apps.

I will reply back again if the Phone Offline message reoccurs, but as of now, my phone is running faster than it has in months. Very responsive to screen changes, new email opening, and calendar date changes.

Let me know if your phone remains stable or if you have to wipe your profile.

I'll probably wait a few days before I start back down the homebrew app path. I'd avoid it completely, but I can't stand not having some of the basic patches that I've grown accustomed to. ;-)

Thanks for listening. I think having an outlet for my frustration may have helped the phone. (grin) Or at least kept me from smashing it on concrete.

Tom
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast