Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm so damn tired of having to un-patch and re-patch my phone. I did the last web OS update 1.3.5 and it fixed a lot of issues I was having with my Bluetooth, etc, which was great. The previous update before that was like 3-4 months prior.

A week later the phone is working great, everything has been set back up and now some bull **** update that shouldn't be forced on its users by Palm. We should have the choice to opt out of installing these updates and remove the notification.

I'm to the point now where I just want to get a regular phone again, because I don't have an hour each time to keep un-patching and re-patching my phone. This is making me sick in my stomach.

damn it
    You do know that although Palm doesn't get in the way of patching and homebrew (much to Palm's great credit), they can't very well base their technical and business decisions on them. By their very nature, those things are at your own risk and extra effort.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    with this update all i did was uninstall the calender patches and all went well with the update. also webos internals are working on a way to avoid having to uninstall everything so be on the lookout for that coming soon im sure . complaining does no good either lol it just makes you feel worse .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I upgraded mine to 1.3.5.1 safely with all patches, its only 1mb, i highly doubt (unless you are unlucky) that it updates already patched WebOS Code, so it should be fine for such a small update.
    Yea it worked fine for me with patches. And I had over 30 installed at the time.
    You could have a simple/standard cell phone. Do no mods, tweaks or patches. and be happy with a simple life. Or you could have some interesting things, hands on with your phone. It's just the cost of being allowed to play with a phones code. This must be another one of those go nowhere threads.
    Damn it
    I'm not complaining, actually kind of happy that it seems palm is on top of things. Just wondering if anyone knows or has a link to what it is that this latest update is supposed to address?
    Yeah. It fixes the Exchange calendar 2010 bug that has been discussed to death.
    Headphones still work.
    I definitely understand the frustration with have to remove all patches. I just use the emergency patch removal, restart my phone, go to update, install, then reinstall my patches. It really doesn't take that long to do. Better safe then sorry. Several other members just removed the calender related patches and had issues. I dont use the service the update is for but once again, better safe than sorry. Palm has a ways to go to please everyone but patience is definitely a virtue!!
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Reinstall your patches using WebOS Quick Install instead of Preware. No hitting OK over and over. Install everything you want, restart luna once, done.

Open Quick Install and go to Tools > Tweaks > Online Repository
    as was mentioned above i have read (or, maybe just heard in palmcast) that a way to have everything packaged up in an update-proof fashion is in the works. also a way to not have to keep pushing the allow script button, i believe.

i'm all good until that comes. i only use about 22 patches, and to me having the option to do that and customize my phone is well worth an extra 20 minutes or so of work. my phone is almost to the point where i literally want to show it off to total strangers and people with other phones.

i am happy that palm is quick to get updates out to us. this one did nothing for me, but since it is for the user's benefit, i'm cool with it. i suspect that within a few months Pres will be like a whole new phone compared to how it was on release day.

and when that happens, palm should hire me to set up booths on campuses and show this thing off, because i think people have no idea what is really possible with it.
    I would just be thankful that we have pretty nice Developers that supply us with the patches for free. Or the fact that Palm is fixing problems.
    Just because your sitting behind a computer does not give you the right to be rude to other's, try being nice you'll get a lot farther in the forums.
    Wish Palm didn't force me to update.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Wish Palm didn't force me to update.
    Hey you should have my phone that's still on 1.2.1 with over 20 some patches. No matter how many times I try it doesn't recognize that there is an update available. Don't know what that is about, but it certainly seems that if I want this 1.3.5 update I may have to doctor my phone to get it.
    Just to add a few things here

1. Palm can't build updates that doesn't inhibit or get in the way of third party patches and themes. We don't advise of patching, however we can't necessarily say we condone it either. The fact that you have to remove patches or tweaks is a position you took by installing them.

2. We want our users to always have the latest update. Although it may seem like an unnecessary update to you, it is what we build our products around. When we say things will work with certain applications, certain products we always go off of the latest update. Unless you have that update we don't know if that will necessarily be true for you. Now with that being said, there is fail safes built into the update application, every time you plug it in you can select No to the update. Also I do believe there is a tweak that will disable the automatic updates. Although I can't stand by it or really suggest it for that matter.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by zenaa96 View Post
    Hey you should have my phone that's still on 1.2.1 with over 20 some patches. No matter how many times I try it doesn't recognize that there is an update available. Don't know what that is about, but it certainly seems that if I want this 1.3.5 update I may have to doctor my phone to get it.
    Not necessarily. Although you might have to redo all your patches you might luck out just partial erasing your phone and before installing anything back attempt to update the phone.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zenaa96 View Post
    My phone was doing the same thing. It could not locate the 1.3.5 update so I had to use webosdoc for 1.3.5 and that's how it was updated.
  19.    #19  
    I hear all of the opinions and will take the suggestion from jp22382. I just don't like the fact that we are forced to do the update no matter what. We should be provided with a choice.
    the forcing of updates is in our best interest. it keeps everything unified and is a MUCH better plan compared to Android where there are currently 4 different revisions out there.

and if this literally makes the OP sick to their stomach.......wow.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast