1.    #1  
    Sorry if this has been answered before, or if I am not posting in the right place, im new to the palm world. anyways, i recently installed precorder. i did everything correctly. d/l'ed the 2 ipk files from the wiki page, used Quick install. I dont have a problem opening and using the software, but when i go to watch the videos that I recorded it tells me there is an error playing the file. When i go into the video application directly, they do not show up on the list, only the palm pre intro movie. I know this software is in alpha stages, but from what I have read everyone else is able to use it, maybe not EVERY time, but from what i've seen, it works for most people. does anyone else have this issue? is there something specific i have to do that i might have overlooked?? Thanks in advance for your time

the noob
    Quote Originally Posted by joedizzle900 View Post
    Sorry if this has been answered before, or if I am not posting in the right place, im new to the palm world. anyways, i recently installed precorder. i did everything correctly. d/l'ed the 2 ipk files from the wiki page, used Quick install. I dont have a problem opening and using the software, but when i go to watch the videos that I recorded it tells me there is an error playing the file. When i go into the video application directly, they do not show up on the list, only the palm pre intro movie. I know this software is in alpha stages, but from what I have read everyone else is able to use it, maybe not EVERY time, but from what i've seen, it works for most people. does anyone else have this issue? is there something specific i have to do that i might have overlooked?? Thanks in advance for your time

the noob
    I had to go into the preferences, switch all the setting from default to any other setting, exit the program, then open it back up, revert all the settings back to default, then exit the program, reboot phone, then it worked fine...

I know it sounds time consuming, but its really worth it to see your pre record for the first time!!! (and youve made it past the "hard part")
    i haven't had much trouble. it seems like sometimes it doesn't work on the first video after opening. like you have to take a quick throw-away one first, then do what you want. also, sometimes it makes two files for each video and the first one always errors out. sometimes when i upload to vidly, it plays back fast too, but IDK if that's precorder, or vidly...
  4.    #4  
    hey dan, i tried step-by-step what you suggested, still no luck. would it have anything to do with having a theme or anything else installed on my pre?
    I had the same problem but I only changed the default closed the app then reopened and changed back to default. So far the only problem I have is if the video is less than 10 seconds it may not show up.
  6.    #6  
    yeah, i have tried what dan suggested, and i have tried multiple sample vids, still getting a "there was an error playing the file" when i try to launch the video player after recording. ugh. i just want this basic feature that palm left out to work!! >.<

any other suggestions?
  7.    #7  
    i just tried recording a video longer than 10 seconds, still getting error.

/sadface
    let me show you how my setting are on right now..

Audio format--AAC
    Vid Format--H.264/AVC
    container--mp4
    media source-- both
    video light--off

So these are the defaults, to get passed that error, you must open your preferences, change all the setting above to any other option, then close precorder.

Next re-open precorder, then change all the preferences back to thier defaults(listed above). *at this point just try to record and view something.

If still no luck, close the precorder, and reboot phone, re-open precorder, then try to record again.

At this point it no longer gave me that error.
  9.    #9  
    the video light works, lol.......so something is going on in there...ugh
    Mine isnt working since updating last night guess I know what I will be doing tonight for a while.
    Last edited by cranerep; 01/05/2010 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Misspelled word
  11.    #11  
    still getting the error. i followed your directions step by step. maybe i will try uninstalling from the phone then reinstalling, then switching the default settings again.

your avatar rocks btw dan
    Quote Originally Posted by joedizzle900 View Post
    still getting the error. i followed your directions step by step. maybe i will try uninstalling from the phone then reinstalling, then switching the default settings again.

your avatar rocks btw dan
    thank you sir.

Good luck getting it running. Check out the web os internals wiki page for further in depth details if you havent done so already.
    Make sure you have the latest versions of precorder and gstservice 0.3.5 is the latest.
    Hope this helps
  14.    #14  
    yeah, i have the latest versions of everything...unless anyone else has input, i guess i will have to wait until a more solid version of the software is released.
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    You're at least not alone!

I was pretty psyched to install this, fire it up, record a video, and then ... nothing. Error message when trying to play the file... I agree that we'll probably just have to wait until Palm tells us tomorrow that they will have it finally. (Crossing fingers!)
    I still had playback issues after installing 0.3.5, Here is what I did to get mine to work...
    1. Changed all the preference settings to something different
    and then tried to record and closed precorder.
    2. Changed all the settings back to default and then tried to record and closed precorder.
    3. Tried again with the default settings and it seemed to work after that.

Good Luck!

Edit: Just noticed someone posted similar instructions above me. My bad for not reading the thread, but at least it confirms the solution.