Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post

I am not impressed. I did a test and my pre on wifi is about the same speed as the iPhone.

I will give Google/HTC that the nexus one is a sexy looking phone and I wouldn't mind that phone/form factor running WebOS.
    I can't view the youtube video right now, but I've heard a lot of talk today about the engadget web browser test, and people were saying it was really flawed. They apparently tested it on engadget.com and there seems to a pretty consistent consensus that depending on the site the web browsers load pages at different speeds. Some sites are faster on android, some on the iphone. Personally, I'm offended that they don't include Palm Pre in their time trials. :-P
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    I can't view the youtube video right now, but I've heard a lot of talk today about the engadget web browser test, and people were saying it was really flawed. They apparently tested it on engadget.com and there seems to a pretty consistent consensus that depending on the site the web browsers load pages at different speeds. Some sites are faster on android, some on the iphone. Personally, I'm offended that they don't include Palm Pre in their time trials. :-P
    Yes, some sites load faster on one device or another, but the fact is it took the iPhone about 20s to load, N1 took about 1 minute and the droid took even a bit longer.

There should not be a 3-fold difference in load time, don't care what website you load. With the hardware in the N1, and the amount of time Android has had to develop this is just not acceptable in my mind.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Yes, some sites load faster on one device or another, but the fact is it took the iPhone about 20s to load, N1 took about 1 minute and the droid took even a bit longer.

There should not be a 3-fold difference in load time, don't care what website you load. With the hardware in the N1, and the amount of time Android has had to develop this is just not acceptable in my mind.
    I honestly can't speak for the validity of the tests, but there could be many reasons for this. Maybe it was already cached on the iphone? Maybe it was a version that already had flash on it and was loading all kinds of other junk? Maybe that one site was specifically optimized for the iphone? I really don't know... but all I'm saying is that you should take it with a grain of salt.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    The Nexus One is a nice spec'd phone. Missing multi-touch is lame though, but at this point the Pre is missing so many features than that other phones having multi-touch isn't a motivator to stay with the product. I need Palm to just release an update providing a camera app, voice dialing, voice activated search, new ringers, new sounds and alerts tones, improved email app, better facebook app, improved calendar, improved music app, and I would be happy for a while, lol.

I like the Pre, but with all the other choices out there, its gonna be hard to justify staying with it. Hopefully their CES announcement will show they had something up their sleeve.
    It just doesn't make sense why they would leave it out. Maybe its an issue with the AMOLED screen?
    No, that's the thing. Someone tried a third-party browser, and both Android 2.1 and Nexus One both support multitouch, just that Google left it out for ALL of the native apps. I'm willing to bet the European version will have it, like the Droid/Milestone. The whole issue smells of some sort of behind-the-scenes dispute with Apple.

Also, it doesn't make sense to have such a little amount of storage space by default.
    It doesn't. 512MB of onboard flash would make it configured like the Droid: 256MB for the OS and 256MB for apps (yes, the same size limit webOS previously had). They made mention that they're working on an encrypted partition on external storage for apps, much like webOS just got.

All in all, just like I thought: just another Android device. It's not the second-coming like some people were spouting off back when they only heard rumors of a "Google-designed phone".
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    No, that's the thing. Someone tried a third-party browser, and both Android 2.1 and Nexus One both support multitouch, just that Google left it out for ALL of the native apps. I'm willing to bet the European version will have it, like the Droid/Milestone. The whole issue smells of some sort of behind-the-scenes dispute with Apple.

It doesn't. 512MB of onboard flash would make it configured like the Droid: 256MB for the OS and 256MB for apps (yes, the same size limit webOS previously had). They made mention that they're working on an encrypted partition on external storage for apps, much like webOS just got.

All in all, just like I thought: just another Android device. It's not the second-coming like some people were spouting off back when they only heard rumors of a "Google-designed phone".
    I feel the same. Just an "eh" from me. Maybe with android 3.0, is that gonna be called twinkie?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    An article in today's Seattle Times had a copy of BillShrink.com's smart phone cost comparison chart. One row really jumped out - comparison of app catalogs ---

iPhone 3GS -- 93,200
    Motorola Droid -- 20,000
    Nexus One -- 20,000
    Palm Pre -- 258 (ouch)

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by sparksd View Post
    An article in today's Seattle Times had a copy of BillShrink.com's smart phone cost comparison chart. One row really jumped out - comparison of app catalogs ---

iPhone 3GS -- 93,200
    Motorola Droid -- 20,000
    Nexus One -- 20,000
    Palm Pre -- 258 (ouch)

Dave
    Which is why quantity > quality these days. Go to billshrink.com and be sure to thank them.
    If it were coming out for sprint I would ditch my pre imidatelly. Webos is great but the Pre built quality is about the worst of any other phone on the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Which is why quantity > quality these days. Go to billshrink.com and be sure to thank them.
    Yeah. The problem is that the average smart phone buyer will look at such hugely disparate numbers (the iPhone has 361 times as many available apps as the Pre) and come away with the view that the Pre lacks support and is destined for the dust heap. I think it's a great phone and made a very conscious decision to steer clear of the iPhones.

Dave
    nexus is soooo boring to me... am I the only one that thinks it is SUPER ugly?

Sure it is quick but after seeing that Engadget browser test I sure wouldn't want to be using Android. Pre, Pixi, and iPhone destroy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparksd View Post

iPhone 3GS -- 93,200
    Motorola Droid -- 20,000
    Nexus One -- 20,000
    Palm Pre -- 258 (ouch)

Dave
    did they write the article months ago? is that supposed to be the number of apps in the catalog? we're closer to 1,006 or something, i think...
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    at least the Nexus build quality is nice.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts

I just pulled up engadget with the pre on 3g and got around 24 seconds... Issue was the delay in scrolling, was choppy for about 10 more seconds.

Hard to believe a 1ghz processor would be SOOO slow
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollbandit View Post
    am I the only one who doesn't really care for the nexus one at all? idk, just does nothing for me really
    If Palm offered a phone with twice the screen resolution as the current Pre, with double the RAM, would you care then?

Quote Originally Posted by glorifiedg View Post
    ?? What large step? Acer liquid is identical in hardware for ex... So what's the "large step"?! One thing im sure, this will sell like crazy here in europe. Not because its something better but because is cheaper then the other android phones.
    Maybe, I don't know, the fact that the Acer Liquid underclocks to 768MHz. Or that it only has 256MB of RAM to the Nexus's 512MB of RAM (the most memory on any phone on the market).
    I played with the Nexus phone. My friend works at Google and they gave all their employees a Nexus phone. The absence of multi touch sucks. It has the capability but not the licensing from Apple. Other than that, its thin, solid feel, and the screen is very nice. Didn't really get to do any testing of it. I was just playing around with it.
    Isn't the slow loading time due to Nexus loading up flash while iPhone doesn't?
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    did they write the article months ago? is that supposed to be the number of apps in the catalog? we're closer to 1,006 or something, i think...
    It was written 1/5/10. Since my original post, someone pointed out this error to BillShrink.com in a comment and last night they updated the number to 1000.

Dave
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Where are people getting that Nexus loads up flash straight out of the box? The flash video going around is Adobe showing it off running 10.1 beta, much the same way they did with the Pre a month (or two now?) ago. It doesn't come with it already on it.

As for the Nexus One, I love the phone's look and specs. The memory issue and no multi-touch bug me too much to want it though. I think I could live with no real keyboard, though I would prefer one. It's a lot better looking then the Droid is to me and would take it over that and it's real keyboard though.

This got me curious and for what it's worth I loaded up Engadget on both my Pre and My Droid using Sprint and Verizon 3G. The Pre took around 45 seconds to load completely and the Droid took around 35 seconds. Not really anything scientific but just thought I'd say what I found.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast