Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    Two issues:

    1) I created a contact of my buddy luke - I live in Alberta so I put his name like this in my phone: AB Luke Cell --- when i go to my contact list under A he is not there -- can anyone PLEASE TELL ME WHY ?

    2) I scrolled through my contact list -- and upon realizing there is like over a 100 contacts I NEVER ADDED (must have synced somehow) at the very bottom i found hundreds and hundreds of contacts with pictures attached to them -- most of whom I don't even know -- but it appears it is linked to facebook -- they have numbers like 8990104 beside them, some are of my buddies, some are random people


    Why is my contacts list so messed up? how can I undue all this crap? or do I have to manually go through them all and delete? (there are HUNDREDS -- literally over 300 that I would have to delete)

    How has this happened? how can I disable it?
  2. #2  
    On the first issues, why enter names like that? Just put his name in as Luke, and add a Phone number labeled Mobile (Cell isn't one of the options). In other words, don't try to force the program to work the way you're used to, get it to work the way it's designed

    On the second issue, that's Facebook. It synchronizes using the numbers they've entered. If you want to get rid of them, deleted Facebook as an account.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    On the first issues, why enter names like that? Just put his name in as Luke, and add a Phone number labeled Mobile (Cell isn't one of the options). In other words, don't try to force the program to work the way you're used to, get it to work the way it's designed

    On the second issue, that's Facebook. It synchronizes using the numbers they've entered. If you want to get rid of them, deleted Facebook as an account.

    Because I have contacts all over Canada (i am in and out of provinces regularly) and so I need to differentiate between the 4 other Luke's I have in my phone -- I found abbreviations of provinces the best way for ME to organize my stuff, please don't criticize.

    I have him in my phone as AB Luke Cell (his number is then selected as mobile) as I have his home number too

    the basic question you didn't come close to answering: Why when I go into my contact list under A (i.e. AB) he is not there.

    You didn't answer my question at all -- you just criticized me for the way I put people into my phone, which isn't going to change, sorry.



    If i delete facebook from my phone ill lose other stuff too -- why would it sync like that and put hundreds of people into my phone contact list without my approval? that's ********.

    there isn't a way to manually go through your contact list and edit/delete contacts? my old motorolla (2003) could do this -- shocking that you can't mass edit your contact list with a Palm Pre
  4. #4  
    If you click on contacts and go to preferences, any accounts such as facebook will be listed there and you can remove them individually. If you remove facebook, it will remove all the contacts that came with it. You can also select how to order your contacts, by first or last name. If you do it by last name, it will sort by the last letter of the last word under the name field. If you want AB Luke Cell to come up under the A's put that in the company field instead of the name field.


    *Edit* Also, if you need to have it listed by first and last name, but also want to be able to sort by provinces, you can put the province in an unused field such as nickname. I use this as a bootleg way to get categories back. If you put AB in nickname when you type in AB, the universial search will bring up all the names with that in the Nickname field. I use it for business, personal, etc.
    Last edited by Sukiyaki; 01/05/2010 at 02:53 PM.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
  5. djmcgee's Avatar
    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    #5  
    There are fixes but you should be less critical if you don't want people to criticize what you are doing.

    Indivdual contacts that you add. The pre can sort by first name or last name and it tries to resolve any name into those two categories. For what you want you will need to change your plan and remove some spacing.

    In regards to contact editing, group editing is possible with google contacts but not with facebook (to my knowledge). With facebook it is accept them as they are. Of course, you can remove your facebook contacts from your contacts list and maybe just manually enter the ones you want into google. Maybe one day there will be a way to filter those facebook contacts you want in your list and ones you don't.

    Good luck. Keep in mind, you may need to spend some time and effort to get exactly what you want since you are not using the application exactly as intended. Also, note that the notes field is not searchable - or hasn't been in my attempts.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    Also, note that the notes field is not searchable - or hasn't been in my attempts.
    If you don't normally use the nickname field, use that instead of notes. I use it to categorize by things such as business, personal, restaurants, family, local, etc.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelick View Post
    Because I have contacts all over Canada (i am in and out of provinces regularly) and so I need to differentiate between the 4 other Luke's I have in my phone -- I found abbreviations of provinces the best way for ME to organize my stuff, please don't criticize.

    I have him in my phone as AB Luke Cell (his number is then selected as mobile) as I have his home number too

    the basic question you didn't come close to answering: Why when I go into my contact list under A (i.e. AB) he is not there.

    You didn't answer my question at all -- you just criticized me for the way I put people into my phone, which isn't going to change, sorry.
    You're a bit rude (understatement), but since you want a literal answer, and no solution:

    It's not showing up because you have your phone set to sort by last name, and you have his last name entered as "Cell". If you scroll down to the C's, you'll find him there.

    Glad to know that this is the organizational method that works best for you.



    Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelick View Post
    If i delete facebook from my phone ill lose other stuff too -- why would it sync like that and put hundreds of people into my phone contact list without my approval? that's ********.

    there isn't a way to manually go through your contact list and edit/delete contacts? my old motorolla (2003) could do this -- shocking that you can't mass edit your contact list with a Palm Pre
    Again, since you want only a literal answer, it syncs all of your contacts because that's the way it's designed. It didn't do it "without your approval", you approved it, even typed in your username and password.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelick View Post
    Two issues:

    1) I created a contact of my buddy luke - I live in Alberta so I put his name like this in my phone: AB Luke Cell --- when i go to my contact list under A he is not there -- can anyone PLEASE TELL ME WHY ?

    2) I scrolled through my contact list -- and upon realizing there is like over a 100 contacts I NEVER ADDED (must have synced somehow) at the very bottom i found hundreds and hundreds of contacts with pictures attached to them -- most of whom I don't even know -- but it appears it is linked to facebook -- they have numbers like 8990104 beside them, some are of my buddies, some are random people


    Why is my contacts list so messed up? how can I undue all this crap? or do I have to manually go through them all and delete? (there are HUNDREDS -- literally over 300 that I would have to delete)

    How has this happened? how can I disable it?
    Goto add a new Contact Such as AB Luke and while in Edit mode goto name details






    Put AB as the First Name and Luke as the Middle Name



    and now when you search for AB - all AB's will come up and you just look for Luke
    Attached Images Attached Images
  9. #9  
    let me know if this works for you... o and as always delete facebook from your profiles by opening the contact app and going to prefs & accnts and selecting and removing facebook
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Glad to know that this is the organizational method that works best for you.
    roflmao!!!!

    The new generation, what can you say? One day putting contacts using their first and last name will be "old school".
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    let me know if this works for you... o and as always delete facebook from your profiles by opening the contact app and going to prefs & accnts and selecting and removing facebook

    Hey I removed the facebook acct. from contacts / preferences and STILL there are hundreds upon hundreds of contacts in my contact list

    it didn't remove anything

    there MUST be a way to remove them from my contact list... we are talking like 600+ pictures with numbers beside them.. have no idea who half of them are cuz the pic is too small to see...
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelick View Post
    Hey I removed the facebook acct. from contacts / preferences and STILL there are hundreds upon hundreds of contacts in my contact list

    it didn't remove anything

    there MUST be a way to remove them from my contact list... we are talking like 600+ pictures with numbers beside them.. have no idea who half of them are cuz the pic is too small to see...
    have you restored the PalmDatabase.db3 file? that is probably whats causing all those contacts. now by no means am i saying that those contacts magically apeared on there own.

    there has had to be one time you entered them. what profiles do you have setup in your contacts.
  13.    #13  
    this thing is so messed up. I did what you told me sketch... but now when i go into contact list AB luke mol is at the END of the AB list (like after AB Zandra)

    what did it put it at the end?

    sooooo messed up

    in name details i put ab as first and luke as middle and still it is not where its supposed to be... its strange cuz my first 100 entries for my Alberta (AB) people worked fine but lately everyone I've been putting in is getting sent everywhere EXCEPT in the AB column in my contact list
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    have you restored the PalmDatabase.db3 file? that is probably whats causing all those contacts. now by no means am i saying that those contacts magically apeared on there own.

    there has had to be one time you entered them. what profiles do you have setup in your contacts.

    trust me i didn't add them. when i got this phone all i did was sync some people over from my old phone, they did this at the store, worked fine... then after a few weeks it started synching -- mainly with hotmail then with facebook -- i didn't add ANY hotmail or facebook people and now I have like 1000+ facebook and hotmail contacts in my contact list

    it's so big i can't even scroll to the end of the list... would take hours....

    whats this database file you speak of ?
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelick View Post
    this thing is so messed up. I did what you told me sketch... but now when i go into contact list AB luke mol is at the END of the AB list (like after AB Zandra)

    what did it put it at the end?

    sooooo messed up

    in name details i put ab as first and luke as middle and still it is not where its supposed to be... its strange cuz my first 100 entries for my Alberta (AB) people worked fine but lately everyone I've been putting in is getting sent everywhere EXCEPT in the AB column in my contact list


    the reaseon for luke apearing at the bottom is because Luke is the middle name where as with ab zandra , zandra is the first name and ab the last name and your current seeting seems to be to have it to sort by the last name.

    so you need to switch to sort by first name
    make AB the first name in ALL your contacts (that are from AB) etc.. and Make their actuall first name the middle name.

    i know this seems like a hassle, but as a previous poster said, this is not the way the contacts app was intended for use. but if you want to use it in this manner by all means
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    the reaseon for luke apearing at the bottom is because Luke is the middle name where as with ab zandra , zandra is the first name and ab the last name and your current seeting seems to be to have it to sort by the last name.

    so you need to switch to sort by first name
    make AB the first name in ALL your contacts (that are from AB) etc.. and Make their actuall first name the middle name.

    i know this seems like a hassle, but as a previous poster said, this is not the way the contacts app was intended for use. but if you want to use it in this manner by all means

    Yeah i guess ill have to do it the hard way. I just remember using my super old school phone (2002/2003) and there was a way to manually edit all your contacts ... like checkmark all --> delete

    if i could do that with the pre i would be gold. I have thousands of contacts i want to delete but have no idea how... im screwed
  17. #17  
    PalmDatabase.db3 contains all your profiles contacts , text messages, mms, memos, last backup info etc... if you have restored that file than you can have strange issues, However SOMEONE had to at one point add that profile info to your phone. at some point in time

    again i ask if you goto contacts and goto prefs and accounts, how many accounts do you see?
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelick View Post
    this thing is so messed up. I did what you told me sketch... but now when i go into contact list AB luke mol is at the END of the AB list (like after AB Zandra)

    what did it put it at the end?

    sooooo messed up

    in name details i put ab as first and luke as middle and still it is not where its supposed to be... its strange cuz my first 100 entries for my Alberta (AB) people worked fine but lately everyone I've been putting in is getting sent everywhere EXCEPT in the AB column in my contact list
    I suggest you start using the Contacts app the way it was designed. But if you're unwilling to do that, instead of trying to force it to organize a province as the person's first name, put the province in the Nickname field. Then you can search for "AB" and then Luke will appear in the "L" section alphabetically (because you didn't give him a last name). If you insist on putting "Cell" in the name field, the Pre will try to interpret it as part of Luke's name and will likely make "Cell" his last name, so he'll show up in the "C" section (which is not what you want). So don't put the word "Cell" in the name field at all. It's unnecessary. The Pre has a "Mobile" phone number field for that purpose.

    The Pre's search is designed to find names in the following way:

    • First name (e.g. Adam: Start entering ad... etc.)
    • Last name (e.g. Smith: Start entering smi... etc.)
    • First initial, last name (e.g. Adam Smith: Start entering asmi... etc.)
    • Company (e.g. Palm: Start entering pa... etc.)
    • Nickname (e.g. Jughead: Start entering jug... etc. If the person's real name is also on the contact entry, Jughead won't show in the list, but the person's real name will.)

    You are trying to force the Pre to treat AB (Alberta) as part of the person's name. That simply won't work because it's not designed to work that way. If you want to categorize your Canadian contacts, then use the Nickname field and put AB in that field. Then you can search for AB and all your Alberta contacts will be listed (along with anybody else that has first and last initials of AB or whose name starts with Ab).

    It's not hard. You're just making it hard.
    --Inspector Gadget

    "Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

    Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  19. #19  
    Why hasn't anybody just asked to truly significant question here?

    "Whatever happened to learning people's last names?"

    I don't mean to be rude, sir, but why not just put in the person's last name so you have a nice, clean contact list ordered by last name?

    I guess to each his own, but to me it just seems easier and more convenient in the long run.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by ageyoung24 View Post
    Why hasn't anybody just asked to truly significant question here?

    "Whatever happened to learning people's last names?"

    I don't mean to be rude, sir, but why not just put in the person's last name so you have a nice, clean contact list ordered by last name?

    I guess to each his own, but to me it just seems easier and more convenient in the long run.
    Frankly, I"m surprised he's getting any advice (beyond that which he specifically asked for) after his first response. I guess we're gluttons for punishment.

    That said, OP I'd recommend you visit the two following articles/posts on this forum:

    This one is somewhat dated, in that Google Contacts now syncs to "My Contacts" instead of "All Contacts", but it's still worth a read.
    http://www.precentral.net/gmail-and-...extra-contacts

    This post is one of the better ones in a very relative thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    All this complaining about all or nothing contacts from Google an Facebook is missing the point.

    You manage your contacts in Google and Facebook, not on the Pre.

    If you don't want a contact delete it on Google and Facebook then the sync will remove it on your Pre.

    If people don't manage contacts at the source they will have a mess. This is not a problem with Synergy. This is a problem with your contact management on Google and Facebook.
    In short, the Pre is designed to pull information from multiple sources (its own internal database, Exchange, Google, Facebook, LinkedIn, AIM, and Yahoo accounts). Some of those allow you modify the data 2way (Exchange, and Google), some do not because the owners of the data (the contacts in question) control the data (Facebook and LinkedIn), and others for some unknown (to us mere mortals) reason are only one way (AIM and Yahoo).

    You can continue to try to force it to work the way you want, but I suspect you'll continue to discover that "the best way for YOU to organize your stuff" might need modification.

    There are two fields you could use to handle what it sounds like you're looking to do, the Nickname field (as previously mentioned), or the Company field. You could even put AB LUKE in the nickname field, and it would do what you're talking about.

    You would also likely be better to forget about finding users by scrolling through the list. Even in the way you are currently using the system, had you typed AB or Luke (or even Cell) you would have gotten to yoru friend. The new "standard" for the Pre is to use universal search, not to scroll to look for someone.

    Finally, on your Facebook issue, at least one (possibly more) of the facebook apps will sync data if you enter your credentials. Remove the app (at least unitl you straighten out the "working for you" mess), go into contacts, calendar, and messaging, and make sure that the facebook account is not there in any of them.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions