1.    #1  
    I just got off the phone with Sprint and enabled international calling and International data roaming.

Thus far the cost is $1.69 per minute (Voice) with the International package ($4.99/month) and $40 for unlimited data roaming. 0.20 cents per SMS text. I've read from another forum of another Pre user who was able to receive data from Narita Airport and was curious if anyone else has used or taken their Pre to Japan.

I'll be there for about two weeks and Sprint was able to place a start and stop data on those services to which both will be prorated.

They assured me that Voice will be usable in Tokyo (which is where I will be mostly)

Come to think of it. I may use Gdial pro and my Google voice for the most part if the data is quick enough. (I'm assuming there won't be EVDO.)

Hoping to find someone else with experience using their Pre in Japan. Thanks.
    Neil
    Handspring Visor Deluxe > Treo 600 > Palm Pre > iPhone 4s & Touchpad 32gb
    That's right. Some cities in Japan have CDMA voice but data is all GSM. In my experience traveling with CDMA phones is rubbish (other than to Canada).
    Better off buying a throw away GSM phone and a prepaid sim card. You can buy them all over in ASIA. But buy one from an established business. Not some guy on the street.

I would use the pre for WIFI mostly.
  4.    #4  
    We have a prepaid with AU/KDDI but it has no data/browser. I just want to be able to make a call and send text msgs from my phone if we're ever separated for some reason. I'm reading different things about sms tho. Not too confident that'll work.

Also from what I understand public wifi is no where near as prevalent as it is in the states. Most people use their phones for everything so there's no real demand.
    Neil
    I took my Pre with me to Japan a couple months ago. I was able to get a signal and connect to a network around Narita airport, but as soon as I went out to the suburbs it was gone. Not sure which carrier provides the service but it was very strong wherever it actually connected.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by intlbeans View Post
    I took my Pre with me to Japan a couple months ago. I was able to get a signal and connect to a network around Narita airport, but as soon as I went out to the suburbs it was gone. Not sure which carrier provides the service but it was very strong wherever it actually connected.
    Downtown Tokyo how good was the signal? That's where I'm most concerned. My in-laws are west of Tokyo, closer to Machida, but while i'm in that area it won't be much of a concern. Thanks for the info
    Neil
    Quote Originally Posted by neoGTR22 View Post
    We have a prepaid with AU/KDDI but it has no data/browser. I just want to be able to make a call and send text msgs from my phone if we're ever separated for some reason. I'm reading different things about sms tho. Not too confident that'll work.

Also from what I understand public wifi is no where near as prevalent as it is in the states. Most people use their phones for everything so there's no real demand.
    wififreespot.com helped me find a connection in some pretty obscure areas. I usually could find a wifi connection in the US coffee shops. But you're right, otherwise it's very sparse.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I'm in Japan right now. And very oddly, my sprint pre receives phone calls no problem! I was in Tokyo and now I'm in a tiny town in Kyushu and i have full bars. The problem is I can't seem to dial out. I've tried all sorts of combinations. I think I may need to make a change to the phone plan to make that happen. But again, i can receive calls everywhere so far.